Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I paid a deposit for a planned litter with two silver parents. Unfortunately the dam didn’t conceive and her breeding timing has been pushed another 6 months. I can choose from another upcoming litter - but there are no silver parents!

The other planned litters have red, apricot or parti / red parents.
What are the genetics behind a silver? (Wondering if any other pairings may produce one or if I should wait!)

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Hi all. I paid a deposit for a planned litter with two silver parents. Unfortunately the dam didn’t conceive and her breeding timing has been pushed another 6 months. I can choose from another upcoming litter - but there are no silver parents!

The other planned litters have red, apricot or parti / red parents.
What are the genetics behind a silver? (Wondering if any other pairings may produce one or if I should wait!)
Silver acts on black or brown. One copy of the silver gene causes a black dog to fade to blue. Brown fades to cafe au lait. Two copies of the silver gene on a black dog causes it to fade to silver and fades brown to silver beige.

If both parents are red/apricot, your chances of getting a silver are zero.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silver acts on black or brown. One copy of the silver gene causes a black dog to fade to blue. Brown fades to cafe au lait. Two copies of the silver gene on a black dog causes it to fade to silver and fades brown to silver beige.

If both parents are red/apricot, your chances of getting a silver are zero.
thanks!

There is also potentially a silver / black pairing, and a silver / phantom (black with brown points?) pairing. Do those have a chance?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
thanks!

There is also potentially a silver / black pairing, and a silver / phantom (black with brown points?) pairing. Do those have a chance?
If the other dog is truly black and not blue, then I would expect blue pups from those litters. Possibly blue phantom but I think that is recessive so only if the silver dog carries it as well I believe.

But I do wonder, why not just ask the breeder? They should know everything about the genetics of their dogs and what colors might result.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the other dog is truly black and not blue, then I would expect blue pups from those litters. Possibly blue phantom but I think that is recessive so only if the silver dog carries it as well I believe.

But I do wonder, why not just ask the breeder? They should know everything about the genetics of their dogs and what colors might result.
Just to update… I have learned a lot and am going with a different breeder!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.