Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 4 month old standard poodle puppy. When we got him, he was 2 months old and the breeder sold him as black. After noticing he wasn't as nearly as dark as other black poodles I've seen I looked into poodle coloring. I'm a new poodle owner so I had no idea there was blue poodles. I think he is a blue but he just got groomed today and I'm not sure if he will turn out silver. His face wasnt white at all when he was 2 months like silvers, but since its so silver now, I'm not sure of his color. I'm not 100% positive on my judgement of poodles colors due to my newness. Is he blue or silver? The 1st photo is him at 2 months and the 2nd photo is him at 4 months. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me, he looks a little bit more on the blue side of the spectrum rather than black.

He is super cute!
Thank you so much! And for the help/warm greeting eariler . I think so too! I really wanted a black poodle but I love him so much and it doesn't matter at all in the end I'll love him regardless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He looks an uneven silver. Any partis in his lines ?
I'm not sure, his mom was a silver and his dad was black. Most of his siblings were brown and black. Apparently a few silver beige and cafe au lait pups as well. He came from a huge litter, 12 pups!! Would he fit into any of those colors?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect my poodle Evie is also going to be blue or gray. I really wanted a black poodle but...
Haha I totally get it! I wanted a black poodle so bad but their hair changes so drastically sometimes!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would say blue, he looks a lot like my Raven did at that age. She was sold to me as black but her mother was blue and I always suspected she was blue and indeed she has cleared dramatically. She is actually lighter than her mother and closer to silver on much of her body.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm not sure, his mom was a silver and his dad was black. Most of his siblings were brown and black. Apparently a few silver beige and cafe au lait pups as well. He came from a huge litter, 12 pups!! Would he fit into any of those colors?

If his mom was silver and his dad was black, then all of the puppies that were born black will clear to blue. At least that is the currently accepted theory. Your first photo certainly looks blue, but it looks like the face is not clean shaven. The second photo is lighter than most blues. Are you sure his dad was black, not a dark blue? Silver x blue could produce both blues and silvers. For comparison, here are a few photos of blue and silver puppies, all around 8 to 9 weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If his mom was silver and his dad was black, then all of the puppies that were born black will clear to blue. At least that is the currently accepted theory. Your first photo certainly looks blue, but it looks like the face is not clean shaven. The second photo is lighter than most blues. Are you sure his dad was black, not a dark blue? Silver x blue could produce both blues and silvers. For comparison, here are a few photos of blue and silver puppies, all around 8 to 9 weeks.
Thank you so much for the responses! The breeder told me his dad was black and he appeared to be black in the photos I've seen of him, but I think I will contact her and ask if he's a blue. Adorable puppies omg! I'm going to attach some more photos of him. First and second photos of him in my backyard at 8 weeks old he is a bit more shaven then the one I attached eariler. And now him at 4 and a half months.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Wow. He's going to be a beautiful color, blue or silver. If you don't want him, I'll take him. Hahahahaha.:aetsch: He's really got a cute expression. Those eyes melt me. And get a load of that tongue. I bet he's got an adorable personality. Am I right?

It will be fun to watch and see what color he clears to.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
He looks like a blue to me. Perhaps lighter than some blues. Blue is a lovely color -- more photogenic than black.

Your pup is just adorable! Enjoy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts