Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
Here are a couple photos of the litter that my future standard pup is in! I'm wondering... what color do you think these babies will grow to be? I know every pup is different. The dam is red (with mostly red in her bloodline) and the sire is white (with an array of colors from his mom, who was blue). This is all info coming from the breeder. I'm hoping for a darker colored apricot, but the photo with flash makes it look like these are all cream. Any chance these pups will darken in color? Thanks in advance for all your helpful comments!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, Did your Breeder do DNA? ( I pray they did for health)
I have 2 red females from 2 different breeders, and am learning about RED /Apricot. Embark did my DNA for everything they can, and recently sent me an update on Coat Colour Intensity. One of my girls has Intensity and the other does not. My hunch is all these pups will be light light possibly Apricot. My understanding is that WHITE destroys red. Are any of the Pups Mismarked? That often happens. Depending on if you plan to Show, but CKC and AKC do not allow mismarks - only solid colours. Check out the Embark website about Colour and Colour intensity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Did your Breeder do DNA? ( I pray they did for health)
I have 2 red females from 2 different breeders, and am learning about RED /Apricot. Embark did my DNA for everything they can, and recently sent me an update on Coat Colour Intensity. One of my girls has Intensity and the other does not. My hunch is all these pups will be light light possibly Apricot. My understanding is that WHITE destroys red. Are any of the Pups Mismarked? That often happens. Depending on if you plan to Show, but CKC and AKC do not allow mismarks - only solid colours. Check out the Embark website about Colour and Colour intensity.
I don't plan to show! This is just going to be my pet and companion baby! 😊 The "breeder" is a family friend and not necessarily in the breeding business, so I will ask her when I go to visit the pups if she did DNA! She cares deeply for her dogs and their pups and wants to do things correctly and healthfully. This is only the second time she has ever had pups.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had never shown a dog in my life until I got my current dogs. I had NO intention of it! LOL But some breeders will NOT sell to you unless you agree to show or put the dog in competition of some kind.
IMHO every dog deserves to be some ones "PET" and a well loved and cared for companion. Every dog deserves the best chance at NOT having been born with a disease that can now be prevented by simply choosing a mate that does not carry the genes. I did not really know anything about showing dogs, but have learned a lot from it. Both my dogs were shown before covid hit,and both were judged to be good poodles (no serious faults),but have not gained championship points yet. I also did the DNA on both (clear) because there is no point in showing or breeding a dog that has serious health issues that would pass on to pups! Depending on the size of Poodle, there are specific Health problems that can be screened for.
My first Poodle 20 years ago has health issues that she suffered with her whole16 years, it was difficult to watch, and with the help of my Vet we were able to keep her fairly well free of pain. I vowed I would have another Poodle - but one that came from Health Tested Parents.
I wish you all the best in having a lovely new Poodle.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't plan to show! This is just going to be my pet and companion baby! 😊 The "breeder" is a family friend and not necessarily in the breeding business, so I will ask her when I go to visit the pups if she did DNA! She cares deeply for her dogs and their pups and wants to do things correctly and healthfully. This is only the second time she has ever had pups.
Besides any DNA/genetic testing, before she bred the dam she should also have done at the very least the health tests recommended by PCA for standards and CHIC certification - see below....
Hip Dysplasia: OFA or PennHIP Evaluation
Yearly Eye Exam by a boarded ACVO veterinary ophthalmologist (CERF)
Health Elective (at least one of the following three tests is required for CHIC number):
OFA Thyroid Evaluation from an OFA-approved laboratory.
OFA Sebaceous Adenitis (SA) Evaluation by an OFA-approved dermatopathologist.
Heart Evaluation by an ACVIM boarded veterinary cardiologist.

The PCA Foundation recommends all three electives for Standard Poodles and also strongly recommends the following DNA tests from an OFA listed lab to easily avoid breeding two mutation carriers to each other and producing affected puppies: DNA Test for Neonatal Encephalopathy with Seizures (NEwS) and DNA Test for vonWillebrand’s Disease (vWD).

Any stud she used should also have been tested to these standards. When you speak to her, I would ask if the above was done, before breeding, as it should have been. If no testing was done, at least you will have an idea of potential future health issues....

·
Registered
632 Posts
I suggest embark healthing your dog. anything it carries will show up and you can watch for it

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
All good info. Now let’s get back to the OP’s question about colour. :)

@Johanna, are there certain poodle colours that are more likely to darken than others?
I don't think I have ever known a poodle to get darker. My experience is that poodles get lighter over the years.

I started out with a nice apricot (from England - Puckshill kennels). She did hold her color pretty well as did her offspring. However, they were about the same color they were as puppies, not darker. That was around 1970. Then I went to black standards and never had apricots again. So I don't know anything about how the apricot color changes now. Ask Arreau or NOLA (their apricot standards are gorgeous!)..

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
That is a lovely pile of poodles. I think they will all grow up to be beautiful!! I'm posting two pictures, one of our pup at 2 days old (She is the darker one in the left front) and another taken last week. She's getting her puppy fleece cut off the beginning of this coming week and I'm thinking she'll be very creamy with a darker stripe down her back and darker ears. Congrats on your new pup!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts