Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I got my toy poodle Lili in November and she is almost 5 months old! I was wondering if anyone else has a phantom poodle like her (I believe she is a phantom poodle). I am trying to figure out if she will stay brown and tan or become silver or cafe au lait.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I believe her base color is silver beige. Her nose (at least as far as I can tell in the photo) looks pretty dark rather than liver; that would rule out cafe au lait because they must have a liver nose, while silver beige can have a black or liver nose. I think I read somewhere that a cafe au lait is born that color, while a silver beige is born dark brown and then gets lighter as they age. Was your pup darker when you got her? Her eyes look dark and so do the rims of her eyes....again pointing to silver beige. I pulled this off pinterest; I could not find the source to credit the owner/photographer. This is a silver beige phantom Standard Poodle. May I suggest that you start line combing/brushing your pup before her hair gets too tangled? You most assuredly have a cutie!

·
Registered
533 Posts
She could possibly be sable. There are some phantom look alikes at a early age. Check on the poodle color gentics forum on Facebook.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Silver beiges have liver points not black, they are always born brown. Your pup is silver beige which clear or lighten up up much like silver poodles, cafe au lait clear or lighten up later when they are 2 +years old.
Sometimes poodles clear is a faux phantom pattern, my girl Beatrice did.
Search my thread How do cafes clear
It follows my cafe girl's change, for a long period she looked like a phantom poodle
Bea at 6 months
140910_0001.jpg

BEA at 5 years
20191222_174338.jpg

Bea at 18 months
27833.jpg

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
twyla, thanks for clarifying the colors. Wilson's mother is a silver beige and her nose was very dark when we saw her. It must have been a dark brown. She looked the color of dark chocolate as a pup, then changed to looking like she was sprinkled with powdered sugar. Now she is a very pale color. What a transformation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts