Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is 13 weeks old now and I was pretty sure that he was black. Both of his parents are blue. I noticed in the sun his coat looks really dark brown all the way down to the roots. He also has a few white hairs in his underside. His full brother on here is silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
From this picture he looks black to me. The colors you describe seeing its possible it could change. You may have to wait until he is a little older.

Very cute though:)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
He looks black in this photo (his muzzle is very dark). Do you have a photo of him in the sun? My mini is black and looks black in the sun, not brown.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
His colouring is so similar to Darcy's! Black but with a brownish tinge. I'm wondering if Darcy will turn out to be a "bad black", even though his mom has kept her black very well and apparently so has his dad. Who knows, this poodle colouring is a mystery to me!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If they are parti-factored, isn't this pretty comman to see sometimes even in the blues and silvers?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, it's hard to say from the photo. Blacks vary even in their own color from inky jet blacks to what they call bad blacks. Blacks even in the sun especially if they spend a lot of time outside can have that oxidized brownish hue. It is possible however that you may have a blue. Blues can have quite the range of color from very dark to even looking very close to silver. I think I saw a post one time of someone's pup on here that they were calling blue and it most definately should have been registered as silver. Anyhow, time will tell but blues do tend to have that very brown hue to them before they have gone through all of their coat change which could be up to 3 yrs! I have a blue who is on the darker side and at 16 weeks when I got her she still looked very dark almost black. If you have your pups face shaved fairly close to the skin you can typically tell what color they are as the blues will have a lighter muzzle where as blacks muzzles are black. Hope that helps but don't be afraid to talk with the breeder you got her from and get their opinions if you feel they will be honest with you. Good luck and cute pup!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the info. His muzzle is very black so I figured he was black. He may just be a bad black and that is why he looks brown in the light. The white/silver hairs on his underside are what threw me off. The color isn't important to me since he is just a pet. I was just curious if he might change colors. It will be interesting to watch and wait. His breeder thought he would be black.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got Rykers AKC paperwork to send in. His breeder marked his color as blue. I guess we will see. Now to come up with an AKC name.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jazzy is a very beautiful black, but in the sun you can see her hair looking brown. I think this is just due to damage. Because everytime when I shave her back down it is the deepest velvety black again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts