Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! We take home our sweet girl in two weeks, we’ve been visiting her every couple weeks. These are some pictures I took of her. Can anyone tell me what color she might be considered?

Both her parents were creams. Her mother has liver points and her father has black points. I know our girl has liver points like her mom. I purposefully picked the darkest puppy in the litter in hopes she wouldn’t fade all the way to a cream (I know most poodles fade). All the other puppies in her litter were some shade of apricot with this girl being the darkest. In person I see shades of brown, red and gold in her coat. She’s quite pretty. Is there a chance she’ll only fade to an apricot or tan color or do you think she’ll fade all the way to a cream?

I’ve posted some unaltered pictures of her. I’m also posting a picture of her next to an apricot puppy and a chocolate/white parti poodle (these puppies are NOT related to her, they’re just to showcase her color, she’s on the FAR LEFT in the picture and yes I CHOSE not to dock her tail, I hate tail docking).

just wondering what to register her as on her AKC papers. My gut tells me apricot since I’m sure she’ll fade. Thoughts?

thank you!

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Apricot mismark. mismark because of the white on her chest. Or apricot if you want to keep it simple.

As to whether she will fade, your breeder may have some experience with that. Many do. My new puppy is apricot and his breeder didn’t think he would fade, I saw his mother and grandmother and they both held their color. I hope he stays apricot but if he clears to cream I’m fine with that too.

I wouldn’t worry about what you put on the AKC form because many poodles are registered as young puppies who go on to clear as they mature. We have members on PF who thought they had black puppies only to discover they turn blue around 2 or 3 years. No one checks so no need to worry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I thought an apricot cannot have liver/brown points? Points must be black to be apricot, from what I've read. Red can have brown points. Mine was lighter than this when born (light red/brown points), I've changed his papers from "cream" to "red". Cream is cream. Red can range from very light red to a deep red. If the coat changes, you can change your AKC papers as many times as necessary, but it does cost $20 per change.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here’s the AKC excerpt on color. Black points preferred on apricot but liver is not a fault.

“Color: The coat is an even and solid color at the skin. In blues, grays, silvers, browns, cafe-au- laits, apricots and creams the coat may show varying shades of the same color. This is frequently present in the somewhat darker feathering of the ears and in the tipping of the ruff. While clear colors are definitely preferred, such natural variation in the shading of the coat is not to be considered a fault. Brown and cafe-au-lait Poodles have liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, dark toenails and dark amber eyes. Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes. In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable. Major fault: color of nose, lips and eye-rims incomplete, or of wrong color for color of dog. Parti-colored dogs shall be disqualified. The coat of a parti-colored dog is not an even solid color at the skin but is of two or more colors.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought an apricot cannot have liver/brown points? Points must be black to be apricot, from what I've read. Red can have brown points. Mine was lighter than this when born (light red/brown points), I've changed his papers from "cream" to "red". Cream is cream. Red can range from very light red to a deep red. If the coat changes, you can change your AKC papers as many times as necessary, but it does cost $20 per change.
View attachment 476905 View attachment 476904
Apricot can have liver points, it’s just not preferred. I personally love her light eyes and liver points. Your boy is a beautiful color!

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
If her mother kept her color, there's a good chance your cute puppy will too. I love the patch of white on her chest.

Reactions: chelsee1103

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
125 Posts
Your gorgeous baby is WAY darker than our girl was as a pup. Her breeder honestly told us she had no idea what color she would end up. Mom was white with black points and dad was a very white cream with liver points. At 7 months she is very light on tummy and chest, she's holding her caramel color on her back and still has much darker ears. Her eyes are light hazel. It's a journey as they grow and you clip to see what the next grooming brings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts