Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Or maybe is he not a toy poodle, but poodle mixed with something else?
Cute as a button.

You are speculating if he's mixed with another breed or a larger size poodle? What information do you have on his parents? What color did the breeder say he was expected to be?

What color are the eyes, eye rims, lips, nails and stomach? Creams can have black noses and dark ears.

The color of pups can be very different at 5 weeks and at 5 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cute as a button.

You are speculating if he's mixed with another breed or a larger size poodle? What information do you have on his parents? What color did the breeder say he was expected to be?

What color are the eyes, eye rims, lips, nails and stomach? Creams can have black noses and dark ears.

The color of pups can be very different at 5 weeks and at 5 years.
The reason why I speculate that he’s mixed is because his coat is not curly and not exactly cream, but also isn’t apricot, to me hes more of a beige but I don’t think thats one of the poodle colors. My husband brought this pup home, theres no paperwork on him and not sure if he saw the parents of the pup. Hes almost 3 months so I know he has puppy fluff hair.

His eyes are brown, eye rim black, lips black, nails are cream, and belly is cream his actual skin is kinda cream/pink.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
He looks like an apricot to me. He will probably turn out a very light apricot when he gets older. He looks the same color as Merlin, pictured below. Except Merlin was darker when he was younger.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Poodle puppy coats aren't curly, their coats curl up as the get older and go through coat change that is around 9+months of age

·
Registered
364 Posts
The reason why I speculate that he’s mixed is because his coat is not curly and not exactly cream, but also isn’t apricot, to me hes more of a beige but I don’t think thats one of the poodle colors. My husband brought this pup home, theres no paperwork on him and not sure if he saw the parents of the pup. Hes almost 3 months so I know he has puppy fluff hair.

His eyes are brown, eye rim black, lips black, nails are cream, and belly is cream his actual skin is kinda cream/pink.
For my dudes, neither had curly hair until their adult coat came in.
My standard poodle is only 6 months old and is now getting waves all over and some tight curls on his head.
My other dude turned VERY VERY VERY curly around 8 months old once his adult coat started to come in. Also as a pup, he was fully black and now is literally dirty blonde and grey!! The coat color will change in time possibly like my dudes.

Your baby looks like it’s a cream right now but can change with time!

I wish you luck!! Possibly look into a DNA test ?? :)

You baby is gorgeous and sooo precious

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and FluffPup!

Here's a link to a site of a former breeder. This page has info on red vs apricot vs cream colors. Read it all if you're interested or you can skip to the photos. I'm voting cream for your boy.
If you do get interested in the range of poodle colors, how most are considered fading colors, and the general of how poodles turn out the colors they do, just look thru all the color info on that same site. PF also has a sub forum, Poodle Rainbow, which is fun to look thru:

To settle poodle vs anything else, a DNA test is your only choice, if it matters.

He's yours, he's home and he's adorable! That's really all that counts :).

Some pics of my cream boy at almost 9 wks and about 3 yrs.

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
80 Posts
I agree to me he looks like either a very light apricot or a cream. My mini pup Beau is 10 months old, and when I got him at almost 4 months he was just about the same color as your baby. But now he has cleared to a light cream, so light that some parts of his body are almost white. He still has darker cream shading on his ears and the "cream cross" down his back. Also his nose, claws and lips are black with very dark brown eyes, and his skin is a light bluish black/gray.

My boy Beau at almost 4 months old . . .

After his first trip to the groomer

And Beau now at 10 months old, you can see that his coat is starting to curl . . .

Your little one is beautiful! Enjoy him while he's a little baby, I look at my little man and can't believe he's the same puppy I brought home 6 months ago. :)

Reactions: SMSP

·
Super Moderator
4,045 Posts
He looks 100% poodle to me. The reddish ears on an apricot or cream is very common and cut, but I'd bet lunch his color will fade to a light cream by the time he's 1 to 2 years old, with maybe slightly darker apricot ears. He's a pretty boy and with alert, intelligent eyes. If you can get him in a puppy training class he looks like he'd be quick learner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got a toy poodle pup and I am curious what color he is. Is he cream, or darker than cream? What do you think? Or maybe is he not a toy poodle, but poodle mixed with something else?
View attachment 469060
Very cute! My apricot girl started with black points (nose, lips) but they turned brown after about a year. Cream usually has black, I think. As others have said, curls come later. Congrats - you have an adorable pup there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts