Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that i a poodle owner = Bernie is going on the fourth to be groomed i gotta decide.

I dont like the poofy ears- but liked the scissored ears (Ok i love the shved ones but better on dark dogs IMO

He ws shved down in the fall apparently- so there is hair- but not LOT of hair.

I can do alot of the up keep myself s ive got clippers, and scissors and the lot fromdoing the aussies

requirements- must look like a poodle
-its 30 below right now- so shved bum is probably a wee bit cruel :p so inspire me!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
probably a nice simple lamb or german trim will be the best with what hair he has at the moment.

Reactions: Marcie

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have to say a lamb clip is probably one of my favorites, very poodle like in style and easy to care for and maintain. It's the one I do most often to client's poodles. The German is also nice but when I tried to do it on Saleen I found I couldn't bring myself to shave her tail haha, I would miss the pom pom I guess.

Here is another version of what FD posted above (click the pics get bigger)

2009_10040015.jpg

and one of what it looks like in action so to speak with the dog walking around
2009_10040022.jpg

If you're interested this is a #4 blade on the body and a 1 inch gaurd comb skimmed down the outside of the leg (from the hip bone down - so I think its a little different from FD did above) and scissored. I prefer to leave a so called "crest" on the back of my dog's necks but most groomers (at leats the ones I know) won't so if you like the look you'd have to ask for it. It's more brushing though so you might be better with a neck that's the same length as the body. Just depends on how much you want to work to maintain the coat :)
Take a picture to your groomer of what you want so it is easier to explain yourself and be sure to specify how long you want the hair left. Don't go in and just say "short" or just generalize what you want or you may be surprised when you come back. Thats why I included the grooming instructions here in case you like the look it will be easy for you to ask for. One groomer's definition of short may be ALOT shorter (or for that matter longer) than what you were thinking lol. I drive some of my new clients nuts I'm sure because I won't let you out the door until I am sure I know what you want and I am sure YOU know what you've asked me for. I don't like unhappy clients :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, the first pic is of Paris ages ago, the second pic I posted is Lukas, and he doesn't get brushed at all really. lol! I like a bit of neck, even on pet dogs but Lukas lives with his big ol collar on 24/7 so neck hair isn't an option for him! He was a 4F blade on his body, and I think a 7/8" comb over his legs.

Photos help a LOT when people bring them in, then I KNOW what they're trying to say! I've also become adept at reading what they want by questioning them a fair bit, so just keep talking about what you like and dont' like, and hopefully the groomer can work it out! lol

Reactions: Marcie

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Well for starters... clean face for sure! Also, you are going to have to grow out the cap a bit before you really get that Poodle look.

I like the lamb cut a lot. Make sure that your groomer knows the difference between lamb and kennel. The lamb has a fuller leg. I do a #4 on the body down to the pin bone and then scissor in the legs and front. I also like to leave hair on the neck and transition up into the cap. On a dog, I like a pokered tail.

I'm so excited for you!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
what is a pokered tail cbrand? You mean like what a German clip has? Or is it the shape of a pom on the end you're refering to. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I love the tail on the germn clip- i'm defintly leaning that wy- also the less ear- though i don't think i'd go clipped ears t this time of year - i feed raw nd his ears were already in the food today.

Defintly tking pictures- nd i've printed out your guys's descriptions of what blades. Come summer i'll probably keep it up quite bit myself (my downside is lck of good tub but i've got the clippers nd ll tht)

He defintly needs to grow out the hair bit. They clipped him down in the fall so the cot isn't THAT long. I"ve been brushing nd brushing- to hopefully mke it not such BIG job (mmmm bill :p ) But i'm just NOT familiar with the clips- (outside the kennel, conti etc etc) and want to be able to go to lorna knowing what i want to work towards so i come out happy.

you guys have given me some gret help- thank you!

(and just cuz he's that cute- here he is after an hour of brushing out ears and his head last night)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
what is a pokered tail cbrand? You mean like what a German clip has? Or is it the shape of a pom on the end you're refering to. Just curious.
A pokered tail is a shaved or closely scissored column tail. It is really not that different from the tail on a German trim except that lots of German tails are wider at the base and narrower at the top, almost triangular in form. I also don't think a German tail is shaved at the base and I'm pretty sure a pokered tail always is. Here is a picture of CH Vetset Stardust Investment with a pokered tail.

Nevar...One thing about the pokered tail. I would think that this would look best on a dog with a straight 12 o'clock tail. If the dog has a low or curved tail, I think you are better off with a brush tail. Remind your groomer that the tail should only be shaved up about 2 inches. I don't know why groomers feel the need to shave all the way up the tail and leave a Dr. Seuss puff at the end. :eek:hwell:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
thats such a pretty dog, I love his back legs... I'm such a weirdo about rear ends and legs lately?? Thanks for the pic of the tail, I'll add that to my list of things to try on Jazz. Saleen's tail is sort of curved so I guess it would be a no no on her, she holds it straight 85% of the time but the rest of the time it looks like a banana lol

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol I love poodle butts & rear legs too! And he is a pretty boy....

The german trim CAN have a totally shaved tail, or it can have the 'carrot' tail. It's personal preference really, and you can find lots of german pics with a shaved tail too. It does have to be the right tail though, gay or curled tails look weird, though a curved tail is fine, just not curled right over! lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
lol I love poodle butts & rear legs too! And he is a pretty boy....

The german trim CAN have a totally shaved tail, or it can have the 'carrot' tail. It's personal preference really, and you can find lots of german pics with a shaved tail too. It does have to be the right tail though, gay or curled tails look weird, though a curved tail is fine, just not curled right over! lol
hehehe I'm glad I'm not the only person with a butt obsession where grooming is concerned.

Have you seen the photos on the groomers,net forum of the Euro style or was it called a pixie?? I can't remember off hand. I LOVED the way the back legs were on that dog and the little shaved tail looked so cute. I've been tempted to give that clip a shot.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I love the tail on the germn clip- i'm defintly leaning that wy- also the less ear- though i don't think i'd go clipped ears t this time of year - i feed raw nd his ears were already in the food today.
Oh you know what, speaking of ears, why not ask the groomer to go ahead and clip the ears either with a 4 blade or a 2 guard comb and then scissor the edges to neaten it up. That leaves a nice short ear that still has some hair on it so it isn't shaved and doesn't look like it;s been shaved really. I am in the habit of clipping the inside of just about every ear I do with a 10 blade my own dogs included. I like the look of the short but still fluffy ear you get with a short guard comb or longer blade on the outside of the ear. I think I may have clipped Jazzes ears at one time with a 4 blade... but I didn't take pictures, or if I did I can't find them on the computer. Just another idea for you, would be easy maintain and easy to deal with raw food with.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh well now that's just way to gorgeous- although i like the carrot tail more i think...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
most people prefer the carrot tail initially anyway, the nekkid tail does take some getting used to! I used to HATE the look of the shaved tail, but I gotta say that after seeing it on so many german trims when I was studying them, I'm more used to it now and I'm not so against it anymore... lol!

I used to not overly like a pom pom either, and I thought Paris was best in a carrot tail, but since growing hers out into a pom pom, I'm liking that more and more now too. hahaha!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
do you mean Pixel the dog in the Euro style german trim? http://www.groomers.net/discus/messages/126/239808.html?1251258029

That groomer is amazing, here are some minis she did too: http://www.groomers.net/discus/messages/126/221544.html?1251211052
YES, thats the one, leave it to me to think the dog's name was the name of the trim. I like the pictures better where he/she is just standing on the table with the tail down. I always love looking at photos of her grooms, though I haven't been on there for a few weeks. I mostly haunt the business sections but since I've had to basicly shut down until after the baby is born I haven't been back on. I found pics of paris one of the last times I was there. I've only posted one photo of Jazz and it's in the creative section haha I had a little mishap with color bleeding which turned out to not be half as bad as I thought it was at the time.

I really wonder now looking at that if I could get away with it with Saleen afterall. Her tail hair is next to worthless and so thin it might make sense to shave it off... just afraid it will look to curved if I do. Then again it grows back.... alot faster than ears do :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WEll mr bernard is at the groomers. we're just gunna clip him down and start from fresh - as the legs were matted... not badly- she could work through them etc- but we'll just clip him down and start fresh. Then work towards the german clip for his next visits. . . she figures going this route will be best for him and my pocketbook *L*

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
and that is why she was in the winning USA groom team ;)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well he's home- my friend groomed him- as a favour- he had too ,uch matting on his legs to leave a lot of length.

She's NOT a poodle groomer *L* so no critiques. She left his ears as he hd some scabbing on them so she didn't want to clip them if she didn't have too. but they so gotta go- i feed raw *L* i aint wrapping ears.

i think he looks a MILLION times better :)

only bad thing is now it's ooh so much more obvious HOW thin he is. :( he's gained a couple pounds since i got him. So much more to pack on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts