Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko has been uneasy and hard all this month, and it's just getting worse. He has been so jumpy and flinchy and barking at everything and it's hard to calm him down. Artemis wanted to play with him a few minutes ago and if I wouldn't have stopped him then there would have been a fight.

I scheduled an appointment with his vet to see if they can help, but the earliest he could be seen is on the 30th, but what the heck can I do before then :(

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this :(

Have you found a place yet where Sisko can run? I'm not sure if it will solve all your problems, but I feel like a poodle at that age really needs to regularly let loose. Even with all the amazing work you do—with him and for him—it would be physically and mentally stressful not having that particular need met.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry to hear this :(

Have you found a place yet where Sisko can run? I'm not sure if it will solve all your problems, but I feel like a poodle at that age really needs to regularly let loose. Even with all the amazing work you do—with him and for him—it would be physically and mentally stressful not having that particular need met.
Thank you, Robin.

I have been looking on Spotsniff, but they have been too far. I don't think it would solve everything either, but it would probably solve like 75% of our problems. Yes, they do and if I knew things were going to turn out like this, I would have said not to get another dog. Yeah, it is. My mom works and she's tired when she gets back, and goes to visit her BF on Saturdays, and then Sundays are when we shop or do anything else that needs to be done or is planned. I wish my dad was a decent person and would take Sisko and I places so he run.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'm sorry too, to know how many hard days you two have, but there are good ones too. He's not that far from turning three and that's when many of our spoo owners say their pups sort of find their heads and things become easier.
I hope that happens sooner for you two.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I never had a dog/cat/child/husband that at some point I didn't want to set out by the curb.

Even the best of dogs go through trying times.

Has anything changed in Sisko's situation to cause him to behave differently? Think back. When did he get so much more difficult? Did anything else change around the same time? Usually changes in behavior come after changes in circumstances.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for you support guys 💗. @Dianaleez I can't think of anything at all that has changed. Sisko started becoming really difficult at the end of June like the 3 last days of June.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend this to the average young dog owner, but since you are very responsible, have you thought about using a retractable leash ?

They are a good way to allow a dog to spend a lot more energy than just walking. I use one with Beckie because she needs it. I’ve used them all my life and never had an incident (touch wood) but you need to be very, very careful with them, especially until you are used to it, because the risks of accident are very high with them. There are a lot of horror stories with people who didn’t know how to use them properly and caused injuries to their own dog or someone else’s dog or even humans.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Dr McConnell has a recent blog post where many of the responses discuss the correct use of a long line - you may find that helpful: Physical Exercise for Active or Aging Dogs - The Other End of the Leash

I would also try to understand what he is trying to tell you. Is he bored, pinging with excess energy, stressed from too much going on, suffering from cabin fever, etc? What helps him to be relaxed and responsive, what leads to him being difficult? It might be a whole day at home, or being overtired from too much activity - or both. He has always come across in your posts as a big, energetic, rather goofy pup, who is often carried away by the excitement of the moment. His ideal life would probably involve 10 mile hikes and runs along beaches and through woods, along with lots of brain work and structured dog sports, but if that is not possible how can you deliver the next best thing? What is your nearest open area like - could you walk/run with him there on a long line? Lunge him like a horse with a flirt pole? Play retrieve, perhaps over jumps? Being able to forget about leash manners for a while means you can work on all the other things - recall, going from 60mph to Sit to 60mph, finding and sniffing, etc, etc.

Is there any correlation between his behaviour and the weather? Are you perhaps walking less because of heat or humidity?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Dechi I was thinking about a retractable leash, but if Sisko sees other dog or person I think he would break the leash trying to get to them. There was this one time when my oldest brother and I were outside playing with him with his flirt pole, and he was another dog and her owner and he tried running full Poodle speed (I had put on his Freedom Harness and long lead) and he took a tumble.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Have you taught Sisko anything new recently? Annie gets wild and crazy if she hasnt gotten a good run recently, but also if I havent been exercising her brain with new commands recently. One that you could work on with Sisko that I find super useful is side/place. Basically the dog coming to your left side, sitting, and looking at you. I do this before crossing streets, if Annie pulls, before opening doors, etc, and I think it helps make our walks more structured and keeps her brain more engaged with me.

I also do the "if you pull I walk the other direction" game a lot. Most walks, honestly, I end up walking back and forth a few times until she is convinced pulling isnt effective.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
@Dechi I was thinking about a retractable leash, but if Sisko sees other dog or person I think he would break the leash trying to get to them. There was this one time when my oldest brother and I were outside playing with him with his flirt pole, and he was another dog and her owner and he tried running full Poodle speed (I had put on his Freedom Harness and long lead) and he took a tumble.
There’s a lot of training that comes with a retractable leash. The dog needs to know he’s only allowed on one side of the street (opposite to cars). If you don’t think he can obey that rule, it’s best not to use one until he matures enough.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you taught Sisko anything new recently? Annie gets wild and crazy if she hasnt gotten a good run recently, but also if I havent been exercising her brain with new commands recently. One that you could work on with Sisko that I find super useful is side/place. Basically the dog coming to your left side, sitting, and looking at you. I do this before crossing streets, if Annie pulls, before opening doors, etc, and I think it helps make our walks more structured and keeps her brain more engaged with me.

I also do the "if you pull I walk the other direction" game a lot. Most walks, honestly, I end up walking back and forth a few times until she is convinced pulling isnt effective.
I'm struggling to teach him anything new because he doesn't even really want to and won't even try. That's why I want to get help from a trainer. We wouldn't have some problems if I could train him and make he make an effort (I m not really sure how to put it)

The only thing that he loved doing that was training was walking while I let his leash drag, (I would release him to let him sniff where he wanted to) and he had great attention while doing that and that seemed to make him feel a lot better and happier, he would listen more while outside and inside.

I'm playing those games with him too!!!😁 okay, Sisko actually like the change direction game a lot yesterday.

Guys, that's what has changed!!! I don't let him drag his leash outside anymore!!!!!!!!!!! takes deep breath

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There’s a lot of training that comes with a retractable leash. The dog needs to know he’s only allowed on one side of the street (opposite to cars). If you don’t think he can obey that rule, it’s best not to use one until he matures enough.
Okay👍👍

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Yep - I think you have found the key. More sniffing walks. A long line may be the answer - much safer than letting him loose, but a similar amount of freedom.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts