Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,753 Posts
Lily has been taken for a portie when she was young and she had a fluffy face. Both have been thought to be doodles too. The funny thing to me though is how many people insist on Javelin being a girl. It is especially odd when I have them together since I think they are pretty obviously dimorphic.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
How could someone think Peggy is a German Shepherd?? Sisko has been mistaken for a Labradoodle(because of his coloring, but I never seen a Labradoodle that is white and apricot), and PWD so far.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That is so weird! Misha get's called a she 90% of the time! Even when he was in a german trim. Doesn't bother me, though it does get awkward when I have to decide whether to correct it or just go with it. I don't get people who get bent out of shape when people misgender their dogs, but I have encountered it. I tend to be pretty good at picking up on the correct pronoun, but some dogs can be difficult.

I definitely am not one that can tell a dog’s gender easily! I think with poodles the haircut makes my mind go one way or another since there are definitely the more masculine and feminine styles. But I can’t tell just by the dogs “vibe.”
I don’t get why anyone would be really bothered either way. Very strange that Misha gets the wrong gender all the time, even with a more masculine style.

I know I must be a little bothered with the prospect of someone mistaking Lacey as a doodle since I launch right into telling people she’s a poodle, haha! I think subconsciously I don’t say he or she when asking someone else about their dog. But consciously I have to try really hard not to ask if their dog is xx breed because I’ve definitely encountered people who don’t like that.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Interestingly, Lily usually is called a poodle, even by seasoned dog people. She is probably a mix, but is very poodle like.

No one has mistaken Gracie for anything but a poodle, although people seem to want to make her a boy! In spite of the pink flowered harness with the name Gracie embroidered on it. I do keep her in traditional poodle cuts too.

I also find that kids identify the dogs as poodles easily and it’s usually with some kind of delight, like “0h look, it’s a poodle!” I think there are enough images of iconic poodles in kids merchandise and books to firmly establish that connection,...and that is a good thing for the next generation.
My 5 year old grand niece loves Gracie, and I keep telling her parents that she needs a poodle someday. They have three mixed breeds. Her grandmother (my sis) owned and loved a poodle so it may be happening in the future. Maybe the next generation will swing back from the doodle obsession.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I too have found that children always know he is a poodle. It's only some adults that sometimes either ask what breed he is, or ask if he is a doodle. Very strange.

A couple of times I have gotten a disappointed reaction of "Oh, he's just a poodle?" I have to be in a really good mood to just take that and not get irritated.

Occasionally, but rarely, I have even explained that doodles are not even a breed, but are basically mutts.

The kids are definitely better educated than the adults :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I too have found that children always know he is a poodle. It's only some adults that sometimes either ask what breed he is, or ask if he is a doodle. Very strange.

A couple of times I have gotten a disappointed reaction of "Oh, he's just a poodle?" I have to be in a really good mood to just take that and not get irritated.

Occasionally, but rarely, I have even explained that doodles are not even a breed, but are basically mutts.

The kids are definitely better educated than the adults :)
I'm half joking here but.... You should try this on doodle owners. Excitedly say "Is he a poodle?" and when they say it's a doodle, say in a slightly disappointed voice "Oh, well he looks just like a poodle! I love poodles."

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I love the sporty cut on Sophie! Her eye color probably leads folks to a Weimaraner...but she is a pretty poodle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
People ask "Are those puppies? What breed?" every few months. The poodle is 4 years old, and the JRT mix is 9! XD And I get the mistaken gender thing--my poor JRT has gotten called 'he' so many times, I've lost track! She is very muscular, though, so I don't blame people.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
When Gracie was a puppy she'd get sad looks and commiseration from strangers: "Aw. It's such a hard time when they get old, isn't it? Bless her heart."

Then as a senior: "Aw! Aren't puppies the best?? What a fun little girl!"

She was my little Benjamin Button. 😂

21 - 40 of 60 Posts