Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Miniature schnauzer simply because Babykins is silver. She was in a Continental clip when this silly person asked me if she was a miniature schnauzer. 😱

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
The girls were mistaken for a variety of poodle mixes, Leonard has never been mistaken for anything but a poodle. Though people are confused by the variety of poodle

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
Reggie’s often mistaken for a doodle because of his coloring, but the one that really confused me and made me laugh was when someone thought he was an Afghan hound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once when I was walking Pogo and Snarky as puppies, I heard a squee followed by "Baby Afghans!" I didn't have the heart to correct the enthusiastic fan. I got a few more people thinking they were some kind of sighthound doodle until they got out of their lanky teens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Once when I was walking Pogo and Snarky as puppies, I heard a squee followed by "Baby Afghans!" I didn't have the heart to correct the enthusiastic fan. I got a few more people thinking they were some kind of sighthound doodle until they got out of their lanky teens.
Maybe it’s the long legs that make people think they’re a sight hound?

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
Maybe it’s the long legs that make people think they’re a sight hound?
The long legs for sure. Also the deep chest and small waist. I think people who have only seen poodles in a show coat have no idea what the real structure of the dog is. It makes sense to me that they would assume a cross between something like a whippet and a poodle. Whippet for the spots (Pogo and Snarky were parti), legs, chest, and waist. Poodle for the hair.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Peggy's list so far:
  • "Some Sort Of Doodle"
  • Springer Spaniel Mix
  • German Shepherd <— Got that one today for the first time and can't stop giggling.
I can’t believe people actual mistaken poodles for other breeds all together but German Shepard 😂 I would be tempted to say “your close but she’s actually a chihuahua”

·
Registered
488 Posts
In an HCC- portugese water dog. We honestly get PWD a lot.
Often a labradoodle or golden doodle. Someone once argued that she must have some lab in her, as poodles aren't black.
Often a mini poodle. Annie is 50 lbs, 25-26". If she is a mini, what is a standard?
A ,"King" poodle. Nope, just a standard. But aren't standards smaller(waves at knee)? Nope!
"Small black bear" that may have been more of a description than a breed lol.
Last time I had her shaved down, still long tail and head, it was various hounds and pointers.

As a puppy, she got a lot more creative guesses, which is fair. Schnauzer, many mixes, spaniel, etc.[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
3,902 Posts
Asta has never been mistaken for another breed. But gets mistaken for a girl many times.I have never seen another poodle in my county so when are out and about they always get it right -POODLE.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Willy got confused for a maltipoo when he had his puppy coat.

Otherwise I keep him in a pretty traditional poodle cut so lately he’s not been confused with any other breeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
Misha's always had a shaved face so mostly people have either known he is a poodle or just asked what he is. I've had people ask if he's a standard poodle though! I totally get people not knowing with teddy bear cuts. Sometimes I see doodles with very curly coats and ask if they are poodles... but normally just doodles.

I cannot for the life of me understand how somebody could mistake Peggy for a German Shepherd. They must be confusing their dog breeds!

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Have you ever noticed that little kids always know it’s a poodle? When we used to walk in the park, when kids could play on the equipment I often would here a happy, excited kid shouting and pointing “it’s a poodle” and the mother would ask me what kind of dog it was. Babykins has always been in a Continental or Miami bikini, two iconic poodle looking clips.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Have you ever noticed that little kids always know it’s a poodle? When we used to walk in the park, when kids could play on the equipment I often would here a happy, excited kid shouting and pointing “it’s a poodle” and the mother would ask me what kind of dog it was. Babykins has always been in a Continental or Miami bikini, two iconic poodle looking clips.
Haha yes! Little kids always point at Misha very excitedly and exclaim it's a poodle. I'm afraid he thinks he's a celebrity.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hmmm, being that I do not shave her face, I could see people assuming she’s a small golden doodle if not a poodle. Usually when someone stops to make a nice comment about Lacey I automatically respond, “thanks! She’s a miniature poodle. That’s the middle of the three sizes of the breed, although she’s at the small end of that size.” 😂 nobody has ever just come out and asked what kind of doodle she was or assumed it.
Id be happy to enlighten them to the versatility of poodles if so.

The first time I did a big groom at 14 weeks, I chopped all her hair off with scissors. Me and my boyfriend called her “baby lab” until she grew out.

She does always get called a “he” 90% of the time by strangers. I think it might be because I keep her ears short and her collar and leash are black or grey. I don’t correct people if they do, since I really don’t care!

I can totally see why people think of a sighthound mix for poodles too. I’ve always thought the poodle has a similar profile from the neck down.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hmmm, being that I do not shave her face, I could see people assuming she’s a small golden doodle if not a poodle. Usually when someone stops to make a nice comment about Lacey I automatically respond, “thanks! She’s a miniature poodle. That’s the middle of the three sizes of the breed, although she’s at the small end of that size.” 😂 nobody has ever just come out and asked what kind of doodle she was or assumed it.
Id be happy to enlighten them to the versatility of poodles if so.

The first time I did a big groom at 14 weeks, I chopped all her hair off with scissors. Me and my boyfriend called her “baby lab” until she grew out.

She does always get called a “he” 90% of the time by strangers. I think it might be because I keep her ears short and her collar and leash are black or grey. I don’t correct people if they do, since I really don’t care!

I can totally see why people think of a sighthound mix for poodles too. I’ve always thought the poodle has a similar profile from the neck down.
That is so weird! Misha get's called a she 90% of the time! Even when he was in a german trim. Doesn't bother me, though it does get awkward when I have to decide whether to correct it or just go with it. I don't get people who get bent out of shape when people misgender their dogs, but I have encountered it. I tend to be pretty good at picking up on the correct pronoun, but some dogs can be difficult.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts