Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theo is now 11 weeks so we have many months of him being in a pen when he’s not tethered to us. Toilet training (outside on grass) is going well, no accidents since the first day.

No water or food in his pen at this time. He still spills everything. I use his food for training and he has access to water while tethered. He pees every time he goes out to potty and often poops too, this system is working well for now.

THE PROBLEM: I’m using a thick plastic shower curtain to protect my wood floor but he has developed a bad habit of chewing and eating it. We keep stretching the curtain taut and put weights or furniture to keep it flat but the little stinker keeps finding ways to get at it.

We have to remove it. More plastic doesn’t seem right. Alternatively we may just leave the wood floor. I need to stop this dangerous behavior. Looking for suggestions...

He has safe chew toys both in and outside his pen.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
247 Posts
Its a little pricey but you could get a large, heavy rubber gym mat that extends past the x-pen boundaries. I use similar flooring in my house to protect my wood floors and the dogs from slipping.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Do you have any friends with any rugs they don't need and willing to part with for free?

We're using a hand-me-down runner (the gray thing) and an ikea rug I got for free.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a little pricey but you could get a large, heavy rubber gym mat that extends past the x-pen boundaries. I use similar flooring in my house to protect my wood floors and the dogs from slipping.

View attachment 474713
. That looks like a great option. This isn’t something he can dig or chew?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any friends with any rugs they don't need and willing to part with for free?

We're using a hand-me-down runner (the gray thing) and an ikea rug I got for free.
. I’m afraid of using carpet because I don’t want him learning it’s okay to potty on carpet if he has an accident. I was looking for something smooth and waterproof so I could easily wipe up and properly clean and oopsies.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
247 Posts
. That looks like a great option. This isn’t something he can dig or chew?
Nope 😊 the ones Im thinking of are just like anti-fatigue mats for offices. They’re thick heavy rubber built for taking on friction.

And speaking of, you could also use the large anti-fatigue mats that go in workshops and garages.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen these used for whelping boxes, but he might also chew this..
thanks Ava, I had seen those too, but they are absorbant which means if he pees, it sinks in and to clean I have to machine wash them and hang it to dry. I didn’t think they would work.

Reactions: Ava.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope 😊 the ones Im thinking of are just like anti-fatigue mats for offices. They’re thick heavy rubber built for taking on friction.
excellent, I think this will work then. Thank you for suggesting it.

Reactions: Phaz23

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I used rubber garage tiles from home depot. With pee pads underneath in case of accidents. They smell terrible when you first open the box but the smell fades. They are tough and cannot be chewed. A tough rubber mat should work as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
430 Posts
Have you looked at the vinyl sheet remnants at Home Depot? Those are my plan for the next dog.
^^Best option yet!
Linoleum flooring comes in 12 ft wide rolls, at about $5/yard. So a brand new 12'x6' piece (enough for 2 - 6'x6' pieces) would be about $40. Remnants would be more affordable.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
My foster dog chewed through our Vinyl flooring

1 - 20 of 35 Posts