Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using almond butter in a kong to keep Darcy happy while we are at work (sometimes, not every day!) At first he loved it, but the last 2 times he has seemed to lose interest pretty quickly (he has had it both fresh and frozen).

So what are some other kong fillings I should be trying? What do your poodles love?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Our Kongs don't last long, but Des loves 'em. We usually just put in a small chunk of meat from dinner (steak/chicken/beef/whatever, so long as it's not too heavily marinated), sliced up inside the Kong. Sometimes I'll put in some bread in front of the meat to make it a bit more challenging, but he tends to get done with them within about 20 minutes or less. My mom would sometimes take sliced cheese and squish it along the sides, but Desmond wouldn't get it all out and there would be old cheese stuck to the inside. Gross! It was soo hard to get out, and I worried about bacteria, so we stopped doing that.

Buttered bread is a good one for us too. Des loves butter, he loves bread, so I'll put some butter all over a piece, warm it up, and shove it down in there. He digs it, and it's not too bad for him to have once in a while.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Mine love peanut butter - I use all natural for the kongs. I also fill with tiny treats that we use for training.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I haven't used one in a while but when I did, I used mostly peanut butter. It would take our GRD about a half hour to get all that out when she was younger and very busy! I know that there are recipes on the web for all sorts of stuffing for them. Especially on the Kong site.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For my parents' dog I stuffed cheese into it and threw it into the freezer (a suggestion from another thread). He loved it!!! Also, I was told to wash it in the dishwasher (top rack) when it gets dirty. I didn't do it cause he got it pretty clean.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
PB, canned food, yogurt, any treats to stuff in there. Also layers of things are good. Ill sometimes sprinkle in some dry food, peanuts, reg. meat. Frozen or non (the yogurt works best if you plug the small end with PB, and then freeze it on its side or upside down in a mug).

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy was never really into the Kong, but he loves the Everlasting Bento Balls. I stuff training treats or even cat treats into one end of it and it takes him a while to get those out. Then he still has the disc thing that comes with it to chew on. I don't know what it's made of, but even the cat licked it a few times (so it must taste pretty good). LOL

And then there's bully sticks. He loves those and will happily chew away on one for at least half an hour sometimes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I love using baby food in kongs. Sometimes I freeze them, especially if the baby food is runny, but I figure, if the baby food is simple enough for babies to digest, it should be ok for the dogs. I like to get it on sale, or use coupons and get them really, really cheap.

·
Registered
593 Posts
my dogs favorite is banana (when I had dogs that could eat peanut butter it would be peanut butter and bananas) with a few biscuits tossed in.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great suggestions, thanks everyone! I decided to try out a small piece of cheese today, in a marrow bone. He loved it and it kept him busy for about 25 minutes (which is about a year on his keeping busy time frame)!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I freeze my kongs with peanut butter and kibble and/or plain yogurt, baby carrots, or bits of sweet potato but if I don't freeze them Ginger has them gone in a couple of minutes. Both our dogs love peanut butter and we use it to give pills as well, esp. Keelyn's heart pills that are every day.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Kongs

I jam a thin piece of dried jerky (this stuff: Good Boy Dog Treats Natural Jerky 100g Pack | Net Pet Shop) into a Kong and fill around it with either cream cheese (all time favourite) or peanut butter. The jerky means it takes him longer.

I saw a recommendation somewhere to beat an egg, plug the bottom of the Kong, then fill with raw egg and cook in the microwave. Maybe I did something wrong, but I just ended up with an egg-covered microwave. Which is a pity, as he loves eggs.

If anyone knows the secret, do tell!

·
Registered
548 Posts
We use Old Mother Hubbard Large Biscuits to stuff in our kongs. We have the larger sphere-shaped kongs. The biscuits are challenging to get out. Both of our boys have learned to bounce the kong to loosen the biscuit. However, it still takes a while to accomplish the task. It is pretty amusing to watch. The biscuits also come in smaller sizes for those using the small sized kongs.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have given Panda salmon mouse in his. He looses interest pretty quickly though if he cant get it out quickly. I will have to try peanut butter for him.

At first I used to just put dry kibble in and he would roll it around to get it out but never get it all out 0_o and kibble is easy!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Tesla is like that too! She'll get out dry kibble in a few minutes (I stuff the ends iwth peanut butter), but once in a while, if I put some honey or pb on the inside mixed with kibble, she can't lick it out so she just gives up after a while. I left a stuffed kong in there for a whole 24 hrs once, at the end, it only had a small dent past the opening...

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have used training treats or cut slices of Natural Balance dog food and put it in the the black extreme Kong. Lexi has figured out to take the Kong to the railing and drop it down the stairs. All the goodies fall out and she's done with it! I do put the Kong in the top rack of the dishwasher from time to time to get it clean.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We have kongs but we humans all leave the house at the same time for about 2 hours at a time three times a week and crate the dogs for those 2 hours; we find the everlasting treat ball works better for our dogs (lasts longer) and we fill it with peanut butter and kibble, then freeze it. We ALSO give each dog a bully stick, and hope that a good long romp outside first and then the treats keep them busy and happy while we're gone. Am thinking of buying a nanny-cam to make sure though!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Kong Question

I have never used a Kong before. It sounds like it can be pretty messy with all of the different fillings. How messy does your dog get? How messy does your floor get? Where do you usually give Kongs to your dogs? Do you keep bedding in with your dog when you give a Kong? I assume that would be messy too? I would like to try it, but am not sure about the mess involved. Thanks for your advice

1 - 20 of 23 Posts