Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the realization that I apparently like names that start with the letter B
I’ve had five dogs in my life that start B
Brutus was my first dog when I was a little kid and he was a Rottweiler
Then I had baby who was also a rottie that we rescued and we had her son bandit also and he was a rot/pit mix
Then there’s Bentley, we believe he is some sort of pit bull but we aren’t sure because we rescued him when he was only a few weeks old and he lives with my mom
I now have Bella who is my poodle and my boyfriend has a bull terrier and his name is Jax (I obviously didn’t pick the name)
I’m interested in knowing the names of your dogs and past dogs and if they have any correlation and why you named that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
I generally use the first letter of a part of a name of a previous pet to name a new one. Lily remembers Olivia a Persian cat who was black. Javelin is a remembrance of a Maine Coon cat named Jacqueline. The next poodle may well be an Alex since that would fit either a dog or a bitch and would remember Jackie cat's sister Alexandra. BF doesn't follow any such conventions and never uses human names. Peeves real name is Quagmire since he was from the breeder's Q litter. I have no idea how he came up with Peeves, but I have often thought that he would have been better off being called Max since he is such a goof ball and peeves laden dog.

Reactions: BellaSpoo

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
My dogs names are Merlin and Beckie. Merlin had his name when I got him and nothing came to mind so I kept it. Beckie is named after a funny tv show character.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Milo was named after a popular chocolate drink, we love the drink warm or cold. It was a toss up between Maui or Milo. He was definitely a milo at gotcha day :) I initially wanted to name him “lucifer”, the character that Tom Ellis plays in the series of the same name but I can’t imagine calling him that out loud in public. Lol.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My first dog was Gizmo a Lhasa apso and then I had my standard poodle Sasha and now I have my 2 standard poodles Samson & Gigi. Never realized before but Sasha and Samson both start with S and Gigi and Gizmo both start with G. We also had Stitch a chocolate lab growing up and a chocolate lab named Baby. And we had Schatzi a boxer. And Toby the Yorkie and Pixie the yorkie. But they were all family dogs so I didn’t pick the names. My cat is named Kiki and my guinea pigs are Mona, Murphy, Ollie, and Reese’s. My hedgehogs are sunny & hazel. My horses are miracle and dreamer. My bunnies are Thor, flop, tulip, tinkerbell, sparkles, toffee, Creampuff, Luna, and nibbles. My goats are Lucy, flower, and cosmo. My alpacas are jasper and Cottonball. My chickens are ruby, angel, Tillie, and little blue. Sooo I don’t think any of the rest of the names have anything in common lol. I’m not seeing any patterns. Our family has a long history of human names starting with J though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Princess (cockapoo- now deceased) was my first dog; got her when I was 12, and I think I just liked the name.

Matilda (also cockapoo- now deceased) was the second dog in our family. My mom named her.

I named Gracie, my parents' maltipoo. She came with the name Roxy, but we wanted something different.

My first dog was Gizmo a Lhasa apso
I almost named Jasper (my maltipoo) Gizmo...I wasn't expecting to get a boy, and I had no idea what to name him. I got the idea to name him Jasper from people at work.

Miracle, my rescue poodle, came with her name. I planned to change her name, but I found out when I met her that this was the name given to her by her previous family and not one just given to her by the rescue.

No patterns for me, I guess. I just choose what I think fits.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Pierre (I name him my first)Tara (named her loved Gone with the wind movie), Tina, Wanted it match Tara, Shostie, Jasmine, Bella, Sage, Cayenne. They all had their names and I kept them as they were older

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
Baby ended up with her name as I tried to decide on one, Flower, Fannie and Cappuccino came with their names, adopted as adults.
Princess Beatrice my mom named her as a job because I always called her dog Princess Grace.
Miss Pia Maria, Pia Maria is a popular Scandinavian name.
Mr. Leonard Pink, my first boy named after the poodle in "Secret Life of pets" and the many Leonards I love. The Mr. Pink, is because he was dressed in pink and had many pink toys as a pup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Being on the older side and always having a dog, there have been a lot of names so I'll just go with my current two.

Eustace is my scruffy animal shelter adoptee. They said he came with the name Knight, but he sure didn't answer to it, so as so often with my pound adoptee's, a new name for a new home and well, he just looked like a Eustace although I really don't know what a Eustace is suppose to look like, lol.

Roland, my spoo pup is a pre picked name. I'm kind of a Stephan King geek and Roland is a character in my favorite Stephan King books, a 7 book series collectively called The Dark Tower.

Now that Roland is 11 months old and almost full size, my old lady brain wants to start calling him Chewie, my last spoo. Chewie got his name as kind of a slap to his former owners, he actually came with the name Ozzie. They dumped an almost dead, 7 month old severely neglected and abused parti colored spoo at the pound with the excuse he chewed everything (OMG! a 7 month old puppy that chews, who would have ever thought that would happen?). Anyhow, he did chew, it took me all of a week to teach him to only chew what I wanted him to chew with no more than redirection.

But for the most part, my dogs get their names just because that's what I started calling them.

The first pic is my Eustace, my problem child, hyper, ocd and oh so good natured and a constantly making my life interesting, often aggravating but always interesting.

The third is Roland about a month ago, just the perfect parti poodle puppy in all respects. The absolute opposite of Eustace, and Eustace's best friend and little brother.

The second is my late Chewie. It was the first pic I got of him after a lot of love therapy. I love this pic because it's the first pic I have of him where he looked happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm of Irish heritage so I give my dogs Irish/Gaelic names. My older girl is named Fallon, which translates to "leader" and is pronounced as spelled. My younger girl's name is Aoibheann, which translates to "pleasant sheen" or "radiant beauty" and can be pronounced as either Aven or Eve-een". I choose to pronounce as Aven and spell it phonetically that way since very few people would know how to pronounce it spelled correctly and I want to make it as easy as possible for gate stewards to call her name at trials LOL......

Reactions: BellaSpoo

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have had many dogs over the years. My current ones are: Zoe the minipoo - we had a list of names for girls and Zoe just seemed right; Opal the labrador mix rescue - that's the name she came with and we kept it; Miss Molly - the rescue chihuahua/pom - the name she came with and it really suits her; and Cruise the whippet/border collie - because he used to cruise the kitchen counters looking for edibles.

My first standard was Charley (Jaylee Charley Black) - after John Steinbeck's poodle. He was from the "C" litter of Jaylee dogs. My last standard was Montclair Lili Marlene from the old WWI song Lili Marlene.

I had a large litter of whippets born on Christmas day - so Christmas names such as Christmas Spirit (alias Noel), Sooty Santa, Christmas Kiss, Mistletoe, Dasher, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts