Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the gold standard? Every breeder website has a bunch of tests mentioned but it’s hard to know if they cover all the important ones. What are some of the most important tests to look out for in your opinion/experience? Would love some advice on this topic.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
There is a post detailing all required tests for all poodle sizes. It was made by Rose N Poos if I remember correctly. It must be in the « Poodle health » section.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Dechi is right, but it's in the thread listing breeders by location in the breeder directory subforum. I do recommend reading that thread (posted below) but I'll paste the excerpt from it.

Miniature Minimum Testing Criteria
prcd Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA testing from an approved laboratory
Eye clearance by the Companion Animal Eye Registry (CAER)
Hip Dysplasia evaluation from an approved agency
Patellar Luxation OFA evaluation

All of the minimum tests should be completed and be up to date for sire and dam. I also like to see a dna test for chondrodysplasia (dwarfism) for miniatures. For me I care not only about the dam and sire, but all related dogs. I like to look them up on OFA and view all siblings and grandparents for things like patellas and hips. If 50% of the puppy's relatives have fair hips I do not feel confident buying. But one or two fair ratings in the family tree isn't a big deal. If any have been diagnosed with dysplasia, I'm definitely not confident buying.

Puppies themselves should be examined by a veterinarian prior to purchase by the buyer and you should be made aware of any minor conditions the dog has. Specifically, the vet should examine bite, patellas (which may be slightly loose in puppies), and check for undescended testicles in males.

If results of tests aren't listed on OFA or aren't up to date, you can ask the breeder for documentation of the test results.

Here's another good resource that has info on each test as well as some additional tests that may be good in the breed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. This is all useful information. I was able to look up the health information on OFA of some of the dogs at breeders I was looking at

1 - 4 of 4 Posts