Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hoping someone has some experience with these ugly molds/? that my girl (13 years old standard) has been developing over the past couple of years. They start out pink/red looking molds that actually bleed, crust over and some even start out as black. They appear to go from that black back to red from time to time. They don't appear to be angry looking like little infections or some type of aggressive cancer. She keeps getting more across her upper body line.(six good sized ones now) When I groom her, the water hose on gentle seems to melt away the crusting and one or two will start bleeding again. As soon as I stop with the hose, it stops bleeding very rapidly. They don't seem to cause her any discomfort. She has always had allot of fatty tissue cysts that also never caused her any discomfort. Has anyone ever experienced this? Obviously cancer comes to mind, but I'm looking for other answers as well. I don't want to start an endless loop of test and life shortening/quality of life procedures. However, she's our girl and we want whats best for her.

JJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go. Here's three of them. She has about twenty of various sizes. From extremely small to these bigger ones I hope I can attach to this post. I have been known to accidentally remove one or two when I clip her.The very small ones of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
From my past experience with other breeds/ muts they have always been some sort of toumer or skin tag. If you haven't already I would recommend you call your vet and ask them to explore what this may be. They can remove one or all of them and send them off to pathology

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I recommend talking with your vet about them, but these sorts of moles are very common in some dogs as they age. They look to me like benign sebaceous tumors which is a type of non cancerous tumor growth that does not cause any real detriment. Though I don't think poodles are particularly prone, I know other breeds like cockers tend to get lots of them as they age. I doubt it's anything to worry about but it is something to have the vet see at some point and document so you know if they're getting worse. A very small percentage of skin tumors end up being carcinomas, which are cancerous and do have to be removed. So it is something to keep an eye on with your vet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much. That's exactly what I suspected. But people with more knowledge than myself keep telling me that it's cancer. As for the "true" standard poodle history. I've had three of them and I am presently trying to find another. (N Cal breeder that actually has a reasonably priced girl would be appreciated) The one that I do have now was a rescue. So the actual authenticity could be skewed. She looks like a purebred.

Thank you again. I'll be making an appointment with my vet soon.

John

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thank you so much. That's exactly what I suspected. But people with more knowledge than myself keep telling me that it's cancer. As for the "true" standard poodle history. I've had three of them and I am presently trying to find another. (N Cal breeder that actually has a reasonably priced girl would be appreciated) The one that I do have now was a rescue. So the actual authenticity could be skewed. She looks like a purebred.

Thank you again. I'll be making an appointment with my vet soon.

John
She is lovely! And it doesn't mean she is mixed. She looks poodle to me. Lots of dogs get these growths, but it's just that some breeds get lots of them. My family has always been involved with dogs in pet sitting or rescue, so I've seen a lot of older dogs with these moles as I was growing up. I know groomers sometimes accidentally clip them off as well. When people say they're cancer, they might just be trying to say they're tumors. A tumor is only cancerous if it has the potential to spread to another part of the body. So it is a small but important detail. Good luck, and hopefully they are just benign.

Rose n Poos has recently been trying to compile a list of reputable breeder recommendations in the "If you're happy with a breeder say their name" thread. It is a good place to start searching, and you may find others if you search past threads for California breeders. As far as reasonable prices go, you might pay a little more for a dog from a good breeder that completes all health testing of parents, but it is much more worth it in the long run to avoid vet expenses down the road. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Super Moderator
5,109 Posts
They look an awful lot like the warts that Gracie developed later in life. Hers would also sometimes peel off and bleed, going from black and pink (like her skin) to bright pink and raw looking. As she got older, one got particularly bad, but her health had declined too much at that point to have it removed.

I'd get them checked asap by a vet to be safe, though. Ours told us they would just grow back if we removed them, and to leave them alone unless they started causing discomfort.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

My last 4 poodle girls all developed warts as they aged. If my memory is right, those looked similar to these. Do have your vet look at them, to be sure. This is common enough that they should be able to give you a very good idea of whether they're something to be concerned over. If they are just warts, they may spread over her back, but they don't really grow much more than eraser head size. They're also hard to eliminate.

The dark spots are all warts.

Reactions: Dogs4Life
1 - 10 of 10 Posts