Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22 days ago Roo was treated for a UTI...she finished treatment 12 days ago...well, I think she has yet another UTI. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I don't make her hold it and take her out very often through the day, I make sure she drinks plenty of water but its one of those things you cannot force them to do. I bought something called "cranberry Relief" its a urinary tract support medication for dogs. She will be going to the vet on Monday. I'm not 100% sure that she does have another one, but she started peeing on my floor last night, she hasn't done this since a few days after she started the 1st antibitic.

Is there anything that mini's are prone to in terms of this that I should ask the vet to look into? She does hold it all night from about 10-6 but if she has to go she wakes me up and I always take her out, but she isn't waking me up until about 5am...is it a girl dog thing? a mini thing? or just a thing? What am I doing wrong for her to get another in less than a month?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Star is having the same thing.

She is on her second UTI in a row. She tested clear five days after treatment for the first one. Less than a week after the all clear test....she had another.

The vet wants to do 1k worth of diagnostic tests but I am holding off on that for now.

She is taking a different antibiotic for longer this time and I started giving her cranberry capsules each day (she takes the antibiotic in the evening before settling in for the evening and the cranberry in the morning so they don't conflict). I also am giving her plain yogurt in the morning to add back healthy bacteria.

Yes. Female miniature poodles apparently can get UTIs and can have genetic malformations that can cause them.

Here's to our dogs hopefully not being one of those!

Star's breeder says that she may outgrow the tendency to them with maturing. I hope so.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Ginger began having accidents a while ago and I would smell urine on her bed - etc - we thought it was a uti but she tested negative. they gave her hormones and it stopped. The vet said that sometimes females after being fixed get this. Dont' know how old your dog is or if she is fixed.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I am far from an expert but I am keeping Saleen on the craberry pills, I bought a human kind that also has added C in it, the vet said it was Ok. I also now give Apple cider vinigar to all the dogs in their water or on their food. Luckily for me Saleen seems to have decided the vinigar isn't going away so she might as well just get over it :)

Maybe the antibiotic wasn't effective and didn't clear it all the way up so it came back? My vet caution me that that could happen sometimes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apple cider vinegar...how much to how much water?

I just don't know what to think, she hasn't peed inside today nor has she peed any less than she did before, so maybe she she doesn't?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Casey gets them quite a bit to and I put apple cider in the water and if I see one starting ( he will dribble on way outside) I up the cranberry pills.
They don't bother him and they both go nuts when I shake the jar and eat them like a kid getting a candy.

Does she pee low to the ground? I have read that female puppies get so low to the ground that they pick up bacteria Perhaps a clip in that area may help.
(not sure as why would Casey get them then)

I have also read vitamin C is bad for poodles forget where but I read never give vit c to them so I just get the Highest number cranberry I can find. Swiss is the brand.
Watch cause sometimes they come on buy one get one free.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I need to check on how much water is in the water bowl.. I have a "big bowl" and a "little bowl". I put two teaspoons in one and one teaspoon in the other. My standard girls get two teaspoons on their food if it isn't in the water, my tibbies which are 12 and 18 pounds respectively get one teaspoon in just under one cup of food.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I think I read that if you give Vit. C you should give a type like "Ester C", which is what this stuff that I have it. I think it keeps it from upsetting their tummy. I know it can upset people, which is I suppose why they make it?
I havent read that it is bad for dogs, I doubt poodles as a breed would be special in their vitamin requirements that other breeds of dogs... ??? They sell a ton of vitamin C supplements for dogs under various names and brands. *looks at clock* Dang, now I want to look it up but I don't have time. Stupid family dinner.... Bleh! LoL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts