Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first of all need to say Hi to everyone on this Forum for Poodles. Standards In my case. I am new to this site, And my first question to you all is can you spay before first heat and would It hamper growth? This Is just one of many questions that I will have for I am new to the Standard poodles. I am getting my first one this weekend. Im so excited and want to learn all that I can. Voosch

·
Registered
419 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on the new puppy. I also have a standard puppy. My vet recommends spaying before the first heat, so she was spayed at 7 months. We're in touch with a family who has two of her sisters and their vet recommends the same thing. Coincidentally, they were all spayed on the same day.

Be sure to post pictures when you get your new puppy. We LOVE pictures around here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Standard Spaying

Thank You so much for your reply back to my question on spaying before 1st heat cycle. I will definately try and post pictures of her when I get her.
Thanks Again
Voosch

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
oh yes, I can't wait to see pictures too!!

I honstely can't recall ever hearing anything that says you cannot spay before the first heat cycle. Most vets do it routinely and alot of shelters spay as early as 10 - 12 weeks I believe. I'm a wait until they are at least 4 months old kind of person myself but I think that come from having owned small dogs in the past and being worried about their ability to tolerate being sedated for surgry.

·
Registered
912 Posts
When I was a vet nurse we spayed/neutered pretty much everything at 6 months with no adverse side effects. You will greatly reduce her risks of pyometra, mammary tumours and other reproductive maladies. This is my opinion only, there may be others who are all for late de***ing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re Spaying

Thank You to everybody with your answers to my questions about spaying. She Is just 4 months now, What Is the age that a Standard comes In to there heat cycle? I thought that most breeds Its around 6 months. Voosch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ideas to house breaking my new Standard

Can any of you give me any ideas on how to go about housebreaking the Standards? Are they quick at learning on these things? I live In Nebraska where we have speratic weather. Cold, windy and very unpredicatable. Also are they stubborn and dont listen when you call them to come to you? or do they just keep on running away? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to train my standard the right way and need all the advice that I can get. What age do they get there true hair coat In? Voosch

·
Registered
912 Posts
We crate trained our standard pup and it worked an absolute treat. I can't speak highly enough of this type of training. We had three accidents and they were all while I was learning his signals and two were within the first few days, after that we just kept an eagle eye on him and he was either outside or in his crate when I couldn't watch him.

T was neutered before he came to us at 8 weeks. My breeder is very strong on not allowing her dogs to be bred from if they go to pet homes. I have read varying reports on early age de***ing and he is only just over 8 months now so we haven't seen any side effects yet.

T was/is a bit stubborn on the recall. I now have a pack filled with liver treats which I put on pretty much the minute I walk in the door so everytime he comes he gets a treat. We have been doing this for about a month now, and it's only every few times he gets a treat now, and his recall is much better :smile:. You can also use a long line so that everytime you call and he doesn't come you reel him in, that way he begins to understand that this is not negotiable and he WILL come everytime he is called. Wonderpup will probably be along shortly and she can give you better advice than me but that's what is working in our household.

As for hair colour it depends on the colour. My boy is blue and it could be as long as 3 years before his true colour is fully through. Silvers I think are about 2 years maybe a bit longer. Not really sure about the pale cream on some fading to white!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
According to American Veterinary medical association there are no side affects if you spay your dog at a young age - a lot of shelters spay/neuter their animals at 8 weeks.
Basically the sooner the better... (as Blue Fox mentioned - waiting until after a heat cycle greatly improves their chances of having certain types of cancers)

http://www.avma.org/animal_health/brochures/spay_neuter/spay_neuter_brochure.asp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts