Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small dogs mature quicker than large dogs. So im curious at what age did you realise that your miniature poodle was mentally mature?

What made you realise that your poodle was no longer a teenager?

Also what age can I expect the coat change and for how long on average does it last for miniatures?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I think it is different for every dog. Misha is 1.5 years and still seems to be continuing to change. I think 2-3 years is the general range for maturity. But Misha is certainly much better behaved now than he was at 9 months. I have always heard boys mature slower than girls as well.

With coat change it mostly occurred between 6-12 months but I think this also can be variable. Misha did not have a difficult coat change but some do.

·
Super Moderator
6,292 Posts
Gracie was given a lot of freedom by two years. She still did silly things like unwrapping all the Christmas presents one evening while I was out for dinner. But...she didn't actually harm any of the gifts themselves! That's progress. Lol.

By three she was definitely an adult. By five she was a dream dog.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sammy is an oversized toy. I have been very lucky with him, in that he was an easy puppy, never destructive and learned fast. He went through a bitey period between 5-7 months, where he would use his puppy teeth on my hands/arms/ankles. By substituting a toy, literally pushing it into his mouth, he stopped chewing on me. He now brings me a toy when over-excited.

At 1 year of age, he seemed pretty much through puppyhood ( which I miss ). He is now 1 year 8 months old and acts like an adult dog.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Beckie is probably a miniature, even though she was sold as a toy. Or maybe half and half. She definitely wasn’t mature at 1 year old. She was still eating my stuff if I wasn’t careful enough around 2 years old. Now at almost 3 1/2 she’s very good.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
For my boys:

8mos Reliable in the house but still restricted to main floor unless supervised because I'm a worrywart. They probably could have been given that first floor full freedom a month sooner but the winter holidays were just coming on and the Christmas Tree was a concern, unfounded, since they paid no attention to it when allowed in with us.

8mos Reached full height (probably) but were not yet at full weight. I've never been successful at getting height measured.

1y 3w Neutered. Neo, the bigger boy, was closing on his full adult weight. Remo, smaller and a picky eater was still about 3lbs off his full adult weight. That took around another year, and, finally finding a kibble the he LIKED!

3yrs I remember noticing not long before they turned three that, while still stinkers many times, they'd settled to the point that I finally thought of them as adults.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts