Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom and I were talking about this today while talking about some future breeding plans and a particular breeders dogs that are in my opinion to long. Tibbies are supposed to be longer than they are tall and that is where the debate started. So we moved to poodles which are supposed to be square and an interesting question came up.

Whats worse in poodles, with square being ideal - a dog who is leggy or one who is slightly long? Not part of the debate but just curious, is one more common than the other?
Now I am excluding dogs that are super super tall and short backed and dogs that are super long or really low on leg with no hiding the fact. I'm talking about dogs who are just off square not something that makes you wonder if it's really a mix.

She has her opinion on the matter and I have mine, both of which are different and I will keep to myself since neither of us breeds poodles :p

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris is shorter in body than she is in height. By a full 2-3 inches! I measured her after her last bath when she was dripping wet and her coat didn't hide anything. lol!

If Paris didn't have such a straight shoulder she'd not be quite so bad though too.

With such a straight shoulder and short body, Paris naturally paces rather than trots (which is a no-no for the show ring) simply due to the fact she can take a longer stride and move more easily by pacing, if she trots she has to shorten her stride or stand on her own feet!!

I don't know what is better though! I can say from a grooming perspective it's easier to hide (ie, make look good) a short body than a long one though!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't know about the breeding or showing end of things but I do prefer the long legged toy poodle vs the cobby style. It seems rare to have a square toy. Ive even seen breeders offering both "styles" of toys, leggy and cobby. In spoos I guess Id still prefer long legs to a long body. There are quite a few long bodied spoos around here and it kind of ruins the elegant look. The long bodied spoos look a bit to much like labs for my liking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Midnight's body is just a hair longer than she is tall. But I don't care. I am not going to let some standard tell me she is not pretty. I couldn't ask for a better dog.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think you have to look at the overall picture. A short back is much more desirable, but sometimes a Poodle who is slightly longer moves much better with that highly desirable BIG side picture. When a dog is too short, it can sometimes interfere with itself when it moves.

Remember too, while our standard says that our breed is squarely built, it does not call for a short back. The standard wants a Poodle with a short loin: Chest deep and moderately wide with well sprung ribs. The loin is short, broad and muscular.

If a Poodle is a tad longer, it should also come with a longer neck. Long and short in the neck? You might as well go home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts