Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think naming a pet is so fun! I find it interesting why people name their pets what they do. So, my question is what’s your dog’s name and why?! My dog’s name is Teddy. Our family voted and Teddy got the most votes.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gia took me awhile to name. I wanted something short and unique that wasn’t the typical tiny dog name. My ex who got her for me was watching the Brett Michaels rock show and I heard him say Gia and loved it. We called her gbug a lot. Then when she passed and we got our yorkipoo we couldn’t think of names and our son (4 at the time) said G2 when calling her. I was against it at first but she acts so much like Gia it’s unbelievable so G2 stuck. Lol. I will say I like that it’s not common! I love the look on people’s faces when we tell them her name. People either love it or hate it but it grew on us. The new pup, I don’t even know. I’m at a stand still for hers. I have awhile yet but so far I’m all blanks.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Asta is named after the wire terrier in the Thin Man movies. Being a big fan of the Thin Man series I just knew that my next dog would be Asta.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
I feel like my dogs have named themselves. Gracie was Roxie for a few days until suddenly I just knew she was Gracie.

Peggy was Mabel for weeks until "Peggy Sue" popped into my head and I just...knew. I was scared to mention it to my husband, since he'd originally named her. But he was like, "Yep. That's her name." There was no fighting it.

·
Super Moderator
1,482 Posts
Pogo is Pogo because he was so athletic in his younger days; he was capable of amazing jumps.

Snarky was Snarky because he had deficient doggie social skills. If Pogo was around he would snark at another dog and then expect Pogo to come save his furry but.

Galen is Galen for two reasons. One is after the influential Roman doctor and philosopher; we all need a little thoughtful healing right now. The other is for galena, which is a lead ore. Since his daddy is blue, I thought there was a possibility his black might fade to a leaden color.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Leah came about because she is white and black like a cow. So the kids looked up girl names that mean cow. It is an old derivative in Hebrew? Lol...mocha is white and brown and she is more my dog and I'm a coffee lover so it works.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Princess Beatrice was named by my mother, an inside joke because I always referred to her dog as Princess Grace.
Miss Pia Maria is a nod to my Scandinavian heritage.
Mr. Leonard Pink was name after the poodle in Secret life of pets, and Mr. Pink as he is my first boy and had many pink hand me downs as a puppy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dog's breeder name was Monty, but it didn't fit him at all. He wasn't down to earth enough for it.
Anyway, he has an extremely gay tail (I hope I'm using the term correctly), it curls over his back in a full circle and overlaps a bit. So I had to name him something that referenced his curled tail.
There's an extinct bird that had curled tail feathers so I named him after them.
So, his name is Dodo Bird.
I have to say it's been a ton of fun yelling him name when calling him back inside.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Merlin had his name when I got him at 16 months old and nothing came to me for a new name so I kept it. Beckie’s name is the name of a character I liked in a funny tv show.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I wasn't sure about getting a male dog when I got Jasper, but somehow that name just fit.

Miracle came to me with her name. I was going to change it, but she responded so well to it, and she was 6 when I got her. I usually call her by a nickname anyway.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Raffi is a reference to the children's singer, I'm not sure why but in my childhood mental image he has curly hair.
The name also makes me think of riff-raff (that's his nickname now lol), scruffy... So I guess his name 'felt' like a dark, curly, longish haired name to me. I had originally bwanted to name him Pippin (Lord of the Rings) but the rest of my family was strongly against that one.
I also have an Apple, it was her baby/litter name because she had a red collar and it just stuck. Previously had Saige- she was reddish sable and looked like she should have a spice name, and I had met a friend of a friend with that spelling and loved it. And then Tansy, because tansy is a herbaceous plant that can be used similarly to sage (Tansy and Saige were together for several years).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always wait a few days (or more) until I get to know their personality, then shortlist and see what they respond to. I also like a hard syllable to begin and a soft one to end - seems to carry better when calling from a distance.

Pixie because she is the perfect blend of mischief and charm.
Karma because "what goes around comes around" was a theme in my life when I got her (10 yrs ago) and she has a firm sense of "law and order" - often referred to as the Fun Police.
Callie because it just fit her - often called "Caliente" because she was hot all the time, "Calliope" because she loved to socialize and have fun.
Princess, 'cause well.... I was eight, lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
When I got adopted Wren at almost 2yrs he had been called Bear. He is a lanky waif of a dog that Bear just didn’t fit. He had papers but had never been registered so I got to choose. My son suggested I stick with bird names like Raven and Wren sounded good with Raven. He is registered Celtic Baron’s Winter Wren as a nod to his parent’s registered names and his former name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts