Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Great to see a poodle win BIS! And many congrats to all who competed, making it to that level is an achievement in and of itself.

My trainer had an extra ticket for the agility finals so I decided to take a ride down in the last minute. It was exciting to be there....and Pink was amazing. An Aussie from my immediate area (LiliAnne) won the 20 inch class, wonderful to see that. My trainer had some great runs, but unfortunately didn’t make it to finals this year. She did win the masters agility in 2016 with her Aussie Holster.
Also some amazing poodles competing in agility. I was pleased to meet two dogs from Gracie’s breeder. They had nice runs, but didn’t make it in the finals. Still good to see them there, and I got to meet the dogs and their owner. I’m hoping Gracie will be at Westminster in the future!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The best in show line up was lovely. I have followed Bono for 2 years now and I was hoping this was his year. Since I've had a havanese or 5 years I was sort of prejudiced. I would have been happy with any of them (except the wire-haired) and was fine with the poodle winning BIS. She was stunning and showed flawlessly.

I've been to Westminster twice and it truly is an amazing experience.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Word has it that Siba is on her way to the Today show in an Uber! I may have to be late for work lol.

·
Premium Member
22,391 Posts
Well we were watching and Lily was paying particular attention to Siba. When I starting clapping along with the crowd reaction she started barking, so of course Javelin started barking too even though he was on the floor and hadn't been watching. It was pretty funny.

But that is seriously one beautiful girl for sure!

·
Registered
369 Posts
One of my news feeds had some dude ranting about how much it sucked that an elitist rich folks dog like a poodle would win over the common man's golden retriever. Sigh. Haters gonna hate. Trolls gonna troll.

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
I was thrilled that a poodle won. The crowd wanted the GR, but they don’t get a vote. I loved pictures of Siba surrounded by all of her trophies, looking so regal. She apparently only eats chicken, and McDonald’s chicken nuggets were a default meal. Everyone can relate to that:)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
When it comes to winning a Best in Show - or even a Group 1 - personality counts for a great deal. You will hear judges say that a dog "asked for it" - in other words some dogs love to show and really revel in applause. Siba certainly knows how to please the crowd. Those bows are just the thing to endear her to people.

Enjoying being the center of attention can be a problem if you are showing in obedience. I once had a dream of breeding an owner-handled dual-titled poodle. She finished her championship in spite of my not-so-great handling skills, so we went for an obedience title. I did a couple of matches and thought she was ready for a trial. On lead heeling went well, but shortly after removing the lead she detoured into the center of the ring and did a "sit pretty" in front of the judge. He was amused. I was not. I told the judge, Merrill Cohen, that I was entered under him again in three weeks and he would see a reformed poodle. Well, for her second performance she went around the outside edge of the ring and offered to shake hands with the onlookers. When I had her OFA x-rays done, they were not good enough for her to be bred, so I gave her to the woman who was the obedience chair of our club. That woman had some dachshunds with UD titles, so I figured she could certainly put a CD on a standard poodle. Her dachshunds had some strict house rules - no messing with the trash can, no stealing food from the coffee table or the counter, no sleeping in people bed. Poodle moved in, rules went out after poodle greeted her new owner's ex husband with all her teeth. That dog never got even a CD, but she sure was loved!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thoughts on the miniatures at Westminister:
Fronts are still very straight. The dog that appeared to have the best front angulation is Reignon Top Banana. Several dogs had rather flat feet. The brown dog (Penchant Phor Pete's Sake At Kalein) had good bone and was well balanced. I also liked the Danfour Keep the Madness Rolling dog. All the white dogs lacked muscle and angulation in the rear - that might be a lack of exercise as opposed to basic structure.
Johanna, can you elaborate/educate me on how you can tell the mini fronts are too straight? I can’t tell for the hair

And how do they accomplish their fabulous free stacks?! I have watched all the videos and still can’t figure this out!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,236 Posts
Also interested in the fronts “ tells” with all that coat. You can see the hindquarters, fronts not so much.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One of my news feeds had some dude ranting about how much it sucked that an elitist rich folks dog like a poodle would win over the common man's golden retriever. Sigh. Haters gonna hate. Trolls gonna troll.
My husband is very distressed by all of the anti-poodle sentiment in his Facebook feed. We're pretty certain that Daniel wasn't a rescue dog from a backyard breeder and may have had just as fancy a background as Siba, even without the spiffy haircut. My husband keeps saying, "It's just a haircut!" Even my mother, who often babysits her other daughter's GRs, was sad that the GR lost even though she has grandpoodles too. I just put my fingers in my ears.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts