Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made it through the blizzard overnight and are digging out. Last night's storm was a bad one in the Chicago area. We even had thundersnow, an electrical storm that occurs during a snow storm. The snow was heavy and weighed down trees and wires. One of our smaller trees fell down and blocked access to our front door. We're in the process of cutting it up. Someone in town had a tree fall on their house and it did serious damage to the roof. We got lucky all things considered.

I didn't sleep well at all last night. My bedroom has the north window so I heard loud howling wind and banging all night. We lost power for a while and there is a wire down in our yard. Still, we came through okay and I'm grateful. I have to go shovel again.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is so scary!! Hugs! I hope that things get better. So happy you are all okay!

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Registered
920 Posts
How scary! In central IL we had the thunder but not the snow. I was in Bourbonnais for an Odor Recognition Test and they were moving as quickly as possible so those driving north could get a jump on the weather. The highways were filled with post-Thanksgiving travelers.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Oh goodness I haven't even seen any news today and didn't realize . Blizzards are only nice in the moment, when there is no damage and you don't need to go out in it. But then reality comes back. Be careful and don't overdo that shoveling.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I have no idea what a blizzard is like and I hope I never will! So glad you are all ok! Keep warm!

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ScooterScout,

I bet they were hurrying things up because it got seriously bad in DuPage and Cook County by 6PM and was even more terrible in McHenry earlier. I smiled when I saw you were in Bourbonnais because only us locals know how to pronounce it! Ditto with Joliet. There were a lot of accidents on the roads.

My sister lost power, too. Her power is back on. She lost some ornamental shrubs but no trees. I'm glad she's okay. This was in the top five worst November snow storms since 1902. It's not the worst blizzard I've been through as far as snow totals and wind, but probably the worst in terms of damage. The storm came in as rain first and covered the trees with ice before changing to heavy wet snow. It's perfect for making a snowman, but absolutely hard on the body to shovel. Every shovel felt like lifting bricks. This is classic heart attack snow, so I paid attention to how my body felt while digging out the car. Shoveling heavy snow is a more strenuous workout than running on a treadmill, and I'm not a youngling anymore!

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Molly,

Blizzards are loud and cold with howling winds. Trees bend and shake. Thunder crackles, if you're lucky, because it is just plain amazing to stand outside and watch lightning streak the sky while it is snowing. Thundersnow is rare and wondrous. During a blizzard, snow falls straight down like a snow globe, and then a gust of wind blows it horizontal and you watch it just whoosh sideways in waves.

Depending on the temperature, you either get clusters of snowflakes that fall heavy and wet. Heavy wet snow turns into the constancy of wet sand when it falls. It's thick and solid and really difficult to move. If it's colder, the snow flakes are tiny and sparkle like gems. They look like beautiful crystals as they land on your jacket. You can blow it away with your breath, or sweep it with a broom. It's much easier to clean up.

But, when the wind catches the snow, it blows easily like down feathers. Snow whirls from the sky and up from the ground, too. This creates a white out. Everything you see is white. You lose your sense of direction. Which way is forward? Which way is left? You can walk between your home and garage and never bump into either and be lost in your own yard, walking in circles. So, when you hear, "White out conditions," on the news, that's what they are talking about. At my boarding school in northern Michigan, we had ropes that led from one building to the other. You followed the rope, hand over hand until you reached where you wanted to go.

Blizzards are frightening in the moment, but much less devastating than hurricanes, earthquakes or fires. Given the choices, staying home with a cup of Irish Coffee, a warm quilt and a good book isn't a bad way to spend a natural disaster.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I was just watching this on the news too! Glad to hear you are ok. It caught my attention because we were in Dupage county ( West Chicago high school ) last week and flew out of O'Hare. I saw the videos of the thundersnow and felt bad for all those people stuck in the airport. Stay warm!

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
Click so glad you checked in - when I saw the news I worried about you. I remember one winter I was living in Chicago - my car was a little Opel GT and it got buried under snow and snow plows - didn't see my car for about 2 1/2 months. EEEwwww. Glad I live in the south now. Stay snug!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
It's perfect for making a snowman, but absolutely hard on the body to shovel. Every shovel felt like lifting bricks. This is classic heart attack snow, so I paid attention to how my body felt while digging out the car. Shoveling heavy snow is a more strenuous workout than running on a treadmill, and I'm not a youngling anymore!
No kidding, eh? Now we get to slow down! :)

I quit shoveling a many years ago. Half the guys and girls with pickups put plows on them in the Winter in this area. In my case she plows while he hops out and shovels.

By the time your blizzard got to us downwind from IL, it was an all night rain. Whew!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Click, I'm so glad you're okay...... but be very careful shoveling. I know you wrote about how dangerous that shoveling can be, it's so easy to push beyond your limit.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skylar,

No worries. All the snow is cleared up, except for a stripe on top of my Kia Soul. I can't reach it, so it looks pretty stupid. It'll melt and fall off. We got the tree cleared up enough to maneuver out of our front door. Further clean up can wait for spring. All is cozy and quiet, warm and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Asta's Mom,

Goalie Mitt, getting my car trapped would suck so bad. Wow!!! Glad you live where you don't have to deal with that. My car was in my driveway, which runs east and west. So, the storm blew directly into the side of my poor car and kinda trapped it there. I dug it out. It took an hour because I was being careful of taxing myself. Every push with the brush was like pushing bricks off my car.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Oh my had no idea what a blizzard was like. I am so glad I live on the Eastern Shore of MD, normally we only get 2 to 6 inches if that, any more and all shuts down. I don't move if I see a snowflake. Be safe and careful

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glory, I'm with you. I don't move if I see a snowflake either. Chicago usually doesn't get much snow. An inch or three at a time, usually. This was really unusual. I certainly hope this isn't the opening act of a dreadful winter for either of us.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MFMST,

Heart attack snow is not just a saying. The workout from shoveling heavy snow is more intense than jumping on a treadmill and running at full speed. You use arm muscles in unusual ways, and tend to hold your breath while shoveling. This puts incredible strain on the heart. https://www.verywellhealth.com/snow-shoveling-and-heart-attacks-4131555 Add in heavy wet snow and it's even worse. Like shoveling piles of bricks off the driveway.

My husband really, really, paid attention to how he was doing outside. Every activity involved a long stop. Trim tree. Stop. Start snowblower. Stop. Easy does it. We have hours to clean this mess up. We gave ourselves hours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts