Poodle Forum banner

We're going to try the modified continental...

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Eclipse 
#1 · (Edited)
Am I a madwoman?

Probably.

Will Fluffy and I enjoy it?

Immensely.

I started clipping some today and I'll probably finish shaping it over the next few days. I'll try to post a picture then. For reference, a couple of weeks ago he looked like this, although I did clip down the topknot and trim his hair down a bit (if I waited any longer to do cleanup grooming, I'd start foaming at the mouth), so we're starting over again a little bit in that respect:

I don't expect his main body to get very large, and I likely won't grow it out to the point where I need to band it a bunch (although who knows).

The end goal is to maybe get it looking something like this, although with a little less topknot:

I can already tell that I messed up, but thankfully hair grows back! It'll be a fun learning experience.

See less See more
#4 ·
Definitely not mad, it is my go to winter clip
Bea the first I ever tried
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

I do my best I know the latest trim needs tidying but I love those nekkid butts

#8 ·
Am I a madwoman?

Probably.

Will Fluffy and I enjoy it?

Immensely.

I started clipping some today and I'll probably finish shaping it over the next few days. I'll try to post a picture then. For reference, a couple of weeks ago he looked like this, although I did clip down the topknot and trim his hair down a bit (if I waited any longer to do cleanup grooming, I'd start foaming at the mouth), so we're starting over again a little bit in that respect:

View attachment 471163

I don't expect his main body to get very large, and I likely won't grow it out to the point where I need to band it a bunch (although who knows).

The end goal is to maybe get it looking something like this, although with a little less topknot:

View attachment 471164

I can already tell that I messed up, but thankfully hair grows back! It'll be a fun learning experience.
FYI, in a true Mod Conti, the ears are not shaved and there should be no break between the ears and topknot. If you plan to do some kind of "pet" version of the trim, you can have some bit of leeway...for example, I have seen people tassel or shave ears, do the trim without rosettes (which IMHO looks unbalanced), etc. Anyone planning on doing this trim should keep in mind the structure of their dog...If the dog is not a good example of the breed, conforming pretty closely to breed standard, they won't be able to carry this cut and look good. For example, some dogs are long in body and short on leg....this is not a good cut for them. Also, consider coat quality. This cut requires a lot of scissoring and to hold the shape and look good you need a really correct poodle coat - thick/harsh/wirey in texture. Finally, consider maintenance....once in the pattern, frequent upkeep is needed...weekly, or at the very outside, bi-weekly, clipping/bathing/blowing out/scissoring and tweaking and adjusting the coat as it grows.... I'm putting my Standard in the cut now and she is a work in progress, I tweak every week when I bathe and groom.... If you have a Mini or Toy you are thinking about putting in the cut, yes, way less time than keeping a Standard in it, but all the comments I made above still apply

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.