Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Hutto, TX UKC show a couple of weeks back and I was pretty surprised by what I saw there. The quality of poodles represented was nothing but pet quality in my opinion. The person I did see with her parti poodles was someone I had spoken to when I was shopping breeders and I learned a valuable lesson on people's opinions on their own dogs and seeing in person with your own eyes. I decided to show in AKC so I knew partis were out. I don't mean to sound overly critical and snobbish but if UKC wants respect they've got to step up what they allow in their rings. The dogs I happened to watch in the ring were whippets. These dogs weren't trained at all. I have no idea how the judge got an idea of movement in these dogs because they wouldn't walk on leads and they were jumping up on their handlers (they were not puppies). I understand that UKC focuses on the fun aspect of dog showing and owning but in order to be respected you've got to adhere to breed standard and maintain some integrity in your rings.

I'm basing this opinion on one show yes, so I do realize that it could be different in other shows, bigger shows. I'm thinking of attending the San Antonio UKC show to see if I get a better impression.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I went to the Hutto, TX UKC show a couple of weeks back and I was pretty surprised by what I saw there. The quality of poodles represented was nothing but pet quality in my opinion. The person I did see with her parti poodles was someone I had spoken to when I was shopping breeders and I learned a valuable lesson on people's opinions on their own dogs and seeing in person with your own eyes. I decided to show in AKC so I knew partis were out. I don't mean to sound overly critical and snobbish but if UKC wants respect they've got to step up what they allow in their rings. The dogs I happened to watch in the ring were whippets. These dogs weren't trained at all. I have no idea how the judge got an idea of movement in these dogs because they wouldn't walk on leads and they were jumping up on their handlers (they were not puppies). I understand that UKC focuses on the fun aspect of dog showing and owning but in order to be respected you've got to adhere to breed standard and maintain some integrity in your rings.

I'm basing this opinion on one show yes, so I do realize that it could be different in other shows, bigger shows. I'm thinking of attending the San Antonio UKC show to see if I get a better impression.
This is a hot topic that was discussed on another board. I agree with you. I have seen a lot of UKC dogs put up that IMO are not breeding quality let alone show quality. Some breeds are doing well in UKC because they have been bred and shown only in UKC(example pit bulls) , but breeds like poodles and other akc breeds that venture to UKC its like damn.....

I saw some akc breeds that where at this last UKC we went to. The english pointer we saw was nice looking standing still but when it moved it was horrible. the golden that was in the show looked like a bitch, his tail was so long and not to standard he seemed to be on the small side also. It seems like the people who cannot show their dog in AKC and get a CH within AKC they flock to UKC with non quality dogs. There was another breeder who had a scared dog ! this dog kept tail tucked in and it would not gait in a happy manor. when the judge looked over this dog it tried to run away. yet this judge still gave 1st place ....

I have discussed my issues on UKC in other threads. I know alot of beginners do UKC then move on to AKC which we did, but I prefer AKC because I like a Challenge :D this is why we will try to GR in UKC .

I think UKC needs to change their point system and a few other things to make showing in UKC fair. I know its goal is to be fun and family type of thing I just don't like the " everyone can win " stuff because a lot of breeders are boasting about ukc wins and IMO UKC does have a lot of flaws, AKC is not perfect but I am sick of people putting down AKC and praising UKC as if this was the best kennel club in the world. UKC had flaws also !!!!!!!!!

Another thing I am sick of people saying is UKC picks dogs not handlers this is the biggest BS I have every seen. I witness UKC judges pick people based on how they are dressed or how the dog was handled or because they where known. I have also seen judges pick dogs because the owner was the president of a breed club..... ( there where two dogs who where litter mates dog A was ok but not to standard this dog had loaded shoulders and was just too bulky. Dog B was the best dog of its breed that day when i saw dog B I was sure he would win and go to BIS but nope dog A won because of the owner is KNOWN.) Judges are people not robots so politics will be EVERY WHERE. its not just in AKC.

I know people will say how do you know these things ?? it does not take a genius to just sit an watch who the judges are picking and why.
especially when you ask who was the person that won? you find out a bunch of interesting facts ;)

PS not all UKC are poor quality

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Haha Roxy, I just posted the same over all opinion on another showing thread on here. I think the people that claim that UKC is soo much better then AKC because there arent politics have never shown a dog before. You get it with any dog show..politics are present everywhere. I dont think its that big of a deal though. It happens and you usually know it before hand. If your dog is a really nice dog with good qualities and you show it well, you can easily place.

You learn how to show off what nice qualities your dog has vs your competition and play it up. With Sting the first time I showed him, everyone was moving there dogs slowly. Well I knew Sting could move and looked damb good doing so. So when my turn came around I moved my dog full speed showing off his great movement. Things like that stand out. He won both show's that day (novice puppy) and I was proud. lol Same thing with my Pit Malibu, she had some major natural muscle and a beautiful neck. Her body was nice, head was ok with a GREAT ear crop, decent rear angles, loaded shoulders so she toed out slightly one foot but I could usually hide it. That was a dog that I could stack up well, pull up on the neck (show of her neck angle) and she wouldnt move and she was impressive from a side stack. Thats where I got the wins. Her front movement due to her loaded shoulders wasnt great so I moved her slow to the judge to hide it. I picked up speed when watching from the side and rear to show off her movement there. But her wins were all about her presentation in that stack. She CH pretty quickly (just over a yr old) with good competition in Pitbulls back then.

Its all about knowing your dog and playing up its good qualities. No dog is going to be perfect.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Haha Roxy, I just posted the same over all opinion on another showing thread on here. I think the people that claim that UKC is soo much better then AKC because there arent politics have never shown a dog before. You get it with any dog show..politics are present everywhere. I dont think its that big of a deal though. It happens and you usually know it before hand. If your dog is a really nice dog with good qualities and you show it well, you can easily place.
Exactly right. The "politics" of the ring are known, but if you have a good quality dog who is to standard, you will eventually get recognized! We have championed 2 portuguese water dogs in Canadian Kennel Club (1 in AKC). My mom owner handled both primarily (the first she put with a handler to finish as she got sick of showing, the second she owner handled to a CH within 3 shows). We have sat and watched as the well known handlers sweep the ring with mediocre dogs. We have also watched as my mom placed best puppy in group at her very first show! You can't think that was politics. :)

So long story short... I don't accept the politics excuse for not showing in CKC/ AKC. If your dog is good, it will champion eventually.

As for UKC, I have never been to a show. But I do know some poodle people here in Ontario who went to their first UKC show recently with CKC/ AKC champs and swept the ring. They claimed it was easy to do based on the quality of the poodles entered. That's one example, but that's all I have heard about UKC shows so far.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
So long story short... I don't accept the politics excuse for not showing in CKC/ AKC. If your dog is good, it will champion eventually.

As for UKC, I have never been to a show. But I do know some poodle people here in Ontario who went to their first UKC show recently with CKC/ AKC champs and swept the ring. They claimed it was easy to do based on the quality of the poodles entered. That's one example, but that's all I have heard about UKC shows so far.

Haha Jenn I was reading what you posted and started to laugh.

Cdnjennga BINGO !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts