Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in NC and usually take both my toy poodles to a vet for yearly exam encompassing blood work, Urinalysis including yearly or updated vaccines like Bordetella fecal heartworm etc. (Ido the distemper though minus the lepto) One is 10 yo and the other almost 7yo. My question is what do most of you pay for this service? I never price comoared but my neighbor thought what I was charged was crazy. It cost ~$415 per dog or 930 for both yearly. She goes t a clinc that is a third that cost. Have I overpaid all these years??? The vet office is highly recommended and owns poodles so that is why I chose him.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Have you checked with any other vets in your area? They're usually happy to do a quote. I'm in the Kansas City area so pricing here will be different than in NC.

Just tell them the exact services provided so they can apples to apples quote.

I'll see if I can find some comparable bills from my vet, just for an idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love your poodles I have black female and an Apricot male! I will get them their check ups but truly don't know if I am paying way over what most do or the norm!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Having to cobble parts of visits together, going to be more oranges to tangerines

Bordatella $28.50
Heartworm test $39.50
Pre neuter blood work $75.00
Comprehensive fecal $57.70
DHLPPC vaccine $19.50
New Puppy Physical $64.90
Office Visit $49.95
----------
I get $335.05 for a possibly comparable guesstimate. Pricing from 2017-2019

If you could list just the exact services as they appear on your bill, that would be really helpful. Pricing isn't necessary, just the things they're actually charging for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in NC and usually take both my toy poodles to a vet for yearly exam encompassing blood work, Urinalysis including yearly or updated vaccines like Bordetella fecal heartworm etc. (Ido the distemper though minus the lepto) One is 10 yo and the other almost 7yo. My question is what do most of you pay for this service? I never price comoared but my neighbor thought what I was charged was crazy. It cost ~$415 per dog or 930 for both yearly. She goes t a clinc that is a third that cost. Have I overpaid all these years??? The vet office is highly recommended and owns poodles so that is why I chose him.
If your dogs are heathy and the blood work is limited to Heartworm and lymes that seems pricey. I had Martini to the vet for well visit and it was 350 but it included a yr supply of heart guard, a Seresto collar and worming med. Did yo have other bloodwork done? Bloodwork can be expensive.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I had mine for his annual in April
Examination.......32.00
Heartworm- 25.50
fecal..... 16.00
bordetella 17.35
dhlpp 39.10
rabies 1 year 21.34
Heartgard (6 month) 83.27
Nexgard (6 month) 24.19= 145.14
plus tax for a grand total of 399.57
I'm thinking now why did he do another fecal...I had him checked in February when he had a upset stomach.If that charge doesn't include the preventatives I'd say its pretty high.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mufar are you sure that is the price for six months of Nexgard? Your heartgard cost is what I would pay for a large dog six-pack, but I think the Nexgard costs about $25 per dose and $120 for six where I am! (Southern Ontario, and it's definitely true that some things are way more here!).
For the rest, ours is around:
$50 for healthy pet exam
$35 heartworm test
$150?? for wellness blood work plus urine
$30 or $50 for fecal (depending on whether giardia test is included)
$20 for distemper/ parvo
$18 for Bordetella
Heartworm +/- flea +/- tick prevention varies wildly depending on what product is chosen, the most expensive (spectra) for toy poodle size would run around $180 for six months.

Oh and Rabies would be another $20 but it's good for three years.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Sorry you are right...on each item listed they showed total price except for the nexgard...it was 24.19 per dose= 145.14, You know when I typed it I kept looking at it saying to myself something doesn't seem right...and it wasn't. LOL Thanks for pointing that out. My vet will charge me for one exam if I bring more than one dog in together, (not a pile of dogs but like one or 2 extra)or at least he has in the past but his prices are going up.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Our vets here only do the packages which are insanely priced. basic package includes all the basic shots and fecal tests, nothing else. they run $500 and up here. I actually take my girls to what'd I'd call a walk through clinic for there shots. You basically walk in and they do all the puppy shots for $27.50. $10 fecals. They give quick exams and recommend. They do all the other stuff too but they just charge what you ask for or what they recommend if you choose that. There's no office charge for them. they also have a full clinic they own as well so I'll also do one regular vet visit there too just for a more through exam but we've saved so much with choosing to do it that way. It's actually an old mayor who was a vet and saw most animals were going without shots when he was in office due to the high costs since the packages started. They're a great asset and I've seen him really work with patients families who needed high cost care to make sure he made it affordable for them whether it's by offering monthly payments or offering his time. It's really great to see how he took an issue of his communities into his own hands and work hard to make sure all pets are taken care of.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just had mine both in for annual physicals and blood work (one is 12 1/2, the other 7, so senior panel bloodwork on both which is more extensive and expensive), heartworm, urinalysis and fecals. My bill was just over $1,000 for both. So on par with what you paid. Most people I know around here (NY) are paying similar prices to what I paid unless they are rural upstate NY, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts