Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having to cut the hair off of PBear's face about two weeks ago, I have been itching to cut his hair again. It was like a mosquito bite, that itch. Well, as it would turn out, I should have ignored that itch and just went about my business. But no.

Not me. Especially not me when TheFiance said, "Don't cut his hair." That's like telling a little kid not to touch the hot iron. We all did it at least once! So I slammed my hand against that proverbial iron, and I butchered my poodle's hair. Lesson. Learned.

Perry needs to go to the groomer. He has for about a month now. However, I have been avoiding the groomer for two reasons. First being that he is very skinny. Enough so that a nasty evil groomer looked at me like I was mistreating him because he was so skinny. (The weight is coming back on slowly.) Secondly, money is tight right now. It was Christmas, we had rent due... we have rent due for this month still. (Two weeks vacation sounds nice, right? Minus that I wasn't paid for any of it.) The groomer isn't on the top list of priorities.

So I had a Martha Stewart moment and thought, "Yup, I can do it. Shouldn't be that hard. His face wasn't that hard. He was well behaved. We are a great team. Yay, go team!" No. Chariots of Fire didn't play. No one popped out and handed me a check for being adorably creative. Nothin'. It was so disappointing and I feel so bad for my dog.

My line of thinking was steered by the fact that I don't have clippers. Yes, that is right, I was STOKED (because that is the only appropriate word to use) to cut my dog's hair. With scissors no less. No. Again. I figured, "Hey, I'm smart, I'll just use my fingers as my guard and guide, and just cut him all one length. Just trim him down a little." I mean... he's trimmed all right. And quite evenly, if I do say so myself. What I didn't take into account, however, was that his head would look INCREDIBLY AND UTTERLY dumb. I was working along, proud as can be, and just decided that I would cut that yellow out of his hair once and for all. I did. He looked like flat-headed Herman Munster for a bit.

I tried to shape it a little. His flat-top head, I mean. I would say it is okay, but not great. But I am also very used to his big, round, fluffy head. (I miss that fluffy head!) I didn't cut his legs AT ALL - minus a few stray hairs - because they're so knobby and I didn't want to cut anything important... oh, say a tendon or the like.

So here he is, in all his misshapen glory. With a body that is all one length, legs another.

Oh, and don't get me started on his ears. Those could not be reasoned with. At all. But I couldn't very well leave them all POOFY! Lordy, if a dog could hold grudges, I would never live this one down. :fish:

(P.s. This was all done around 3 am this morning. So TheFiance was asleep. And couldn't judge. Guess Perry won't be seen until later in the morning! :D)

Excuse the messy bed! *and his dirty booger face!*

Attachments

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I did that to my first poodle. He looked like a refugee from a third-world country. :eek:hwell:

It will grow back, I promise. Oh, and when you do get around to taking him to a professional, deny all knowledge of who did this to your dog! Someone broke into my house and shaved my poodle!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think he looks adorable as ever! Although he might be mistaken for an overly fuzzy chihuahua. Just give the poor fella a sweater and extra huggins. His coat will grow out soon enough.

For a pair of scissors, you really did do a great job.

·
Registered
578 Posts
O come on - you're being way too hard on yourself. He really doesn't look that bad (at least his picture doesn't) and since it will grow back chalk it up to your first learning experience. And dive right in and do it again! Practice, practice, practice (says she who hasn't had the nerve to try yet)!

Our dogs are way too cute to be overcome by bad hair!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It is almost a rite of passage for a Poodle owner to take a pair of scissor, go to work and then think.... "Dear God! What have I done?"

Hair grows. Chalk it up to experience. This won't be the last time you don't like your grooming skills.

BTW... I think PBear would look super cute in a Teddy Bear cut.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What are you beating yourself up for?? I was prepared for the worst, clicked on his picture and ended up going "Aww!!" :lol: I think he looks really really cute, personally.
And don't worry if you don't like it: it will grow back! I know I've had a moment like that with Desmond once or twice, where I got one side of him looking good and then for the life of me couldn't even him out; he looks lopsided lots of times when I groom him, hahah. Practice practice!! :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think he looks pretty cute and you did this with scissors?! I'd say you were determined. And GOOD choice on waiting until TF was asleep. Olie's Dad is apprehensive in me attempting a sweetheart/Dutch variation cut on Suri - but guess what, Like you I am doing it ANYWAY! :) I feel even better that there is a "right of passage too lol! :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It's not too bad! It's not great either, but don't be hard on yourself, everyone learns somewhere. From the angle you showed his body looks good as does his face. I think it's primarily his ears that look a little odd. So if you could trim those a little less next time, you'd be onto a winner.

I'm looking forward to hearing what thefiance thought. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
hehehe, he looks cute!!! GOOD ON YOU for giving it a go!!
And in the end, who *really* cares if he looks funny for a couple of weeks!? Hair grows!

FD

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is almost a rite of passage for a Poodle owner to take a pair of scissor, go to work and then think.... "Dear God! What have I done?"

Hair grows. Chalk it up to experience. This won't be the last time you don't like your grooming skills.

BTW... I think PBear would look super cute in a Teddy Bear cut.
He was in one a bit ago. Looked adorable, if I do say so myself :). However, he was always getting hair in his eyes, and they were INCREDIBLY goopy. I will have to find a happy medium, because I love his face with it is fuzzy!

It's not too bad! It's not great either, but don't be hard on yourself, everyone learns somewhere. From the angle you showed his body looks good as does his face. I think it's primarily his ears that look a little odd. So if you could trim those a little less next time, you'd be onto a winner.

I'm looking forward to hearing what thefiance thought. :)
TheFiance said this morning, "I see you got your haircut..." lol, that was all.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehehe, he looks cute!!! GOOD ON YOU for giving it a go!!
And in the end, who *really* cares if he looks funny for a couple of weeks!? Hair grows!

FD
Yeah, but for a couple weeks, like someone said, he's gonna look like a weird lookin' Chihuahua! And I enjoy taking him wherever I can! Man! I should just get clippers and do juuuuuust what the people at PetsMart did... shave him down! At least then he grew back out not looking like a COMPLETE goober. Other than that he looked like a wet rat for a couple weeks...

·
Registered
75 Posts
OMG....So... I laughed ....and tears ran from my eyes and the makeup needs touched up ... but now there is guilt... because laughing at anothers trauma is not nice...but geez.... it just looks...well....have you ever seen 'Underdog to Wonderdog'?...I will say no more because it would be cruel and that is not me...cruel....it's just a great fact that it will grow back....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts