Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my initial excitement at being able to offer some true raw to my girls for the first time ever, I have been disappointed in their reactions. I first gave each half a duck neck. No go. Sniff sniff. Ew. Back away.

Then I offered them each some duck liver and some duck heart. Sniff. Ugh, no thank you. Poodle noses high in air, backed up as far away as they could get. Sigh.

I took a picture of the rejected offerings and sat down to type this. But before I even clicked New Thread, my husband was back with their bowls and they were more interested. Apparently, he tossed the stuff in a pan with a little olive oil and just barely browned it. Both ate the heart bit first, and Mochi figured out how to crunch on the neck and about 7 minutes later had that gone. Did not want to touch the liver still. Chuui seemed disgusted by the liver again as well, but intrigued by the neck. She kept licking it, then picked it up and clearly asked me to let her out of her crate. I only acquiesced when I had a good hold on the neck so she could try gnawing it while I kept it from touching my floors or anything else. Alas, Chuui just could not figure out that crunching was the way to go. She nibbled off a layer of silver-skin or something at one end, and just sort of gave up. I put it back in her bowl and turned to say something to my husband. When I looked back, the neck was gone and I saw Chuui sitting on her haunches on the couch with the neck laid nicely in front, and she was just looking at me. :argh:

So out her neck went and the liver with it. At least they both liked the heart. And Mochi figured out the neck.

And right before I clicked Submit, Mochi came over to the couch and puked it all up in one giant pile. :puke: :argh:

Learning experience, I guess.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
I really don't dig the idea of raw food on my floors either. I also don't get the raw thing generally. Our dogs aren't wolves or coyotes. They are domesticated animals that have coevolved with us and our ability to cook food, not eat it raw. I don't feed commercial food, but I don't feed raw. There are about 14 pounds of boneless skinless chicken legs and thighs braising on my stove right now.

Reactions: peppersb

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I like how FMJ related her little one's reaction to raw, "After carrying the chicken portion around for a while, occasionally putting it down and staring at it, she gave me to understand that I was very kind, but it would be nicer cooked, preferably with cream and tarragon..." :lol: We probably won't bother trying that again. They did each get some tiny bites of cooked duck later when we ate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dogs usually don’t like raw liver when first starting out and poultry neck bones are too small to be safe for most dogs.
There’s a right way to transition a dog to raw food and a wrong way.

Starter Guide: http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide

Personally I feed my dog a commercial raw formula (Primal Nuggets) so I don’t have to worry about bones or a complete healthy diet. She loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
personally i approve of the yucky ducky paws down reaction. duck tends to be a lot greasier than other poultry. and cold fat is ugly stuff. be happy your dogs have good taste. :angel2:

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie

·
Registered
596 Posts
Transitioning adult dogs to raw is really tough. I had one dog - pickiest eater ever - and it took over a year (although by then he was really into it). Most dogs who were introduced as adults are never really comfortable with bones, so you have to constantly watch them. And eating raw takes a bit longer than regular food - so you have to have the time. If you (or anyone in your household) are not 100% sure that you want to do it I wouldn't advise it. It takes a huge commitment, energy and time to do raw and to do it right. If your budget allows pre-made is a good way to dabble in it.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
FMJ said:
After carrying the chicken portion around for a while, occasionally putting it down and staring at it, she gave me to understand that I was very kind, but it would be nicer cooked, preferably with cream and tarragon..
haha

Moni also brings up an interesting point that I was unaware of.

Personally I prefer to feed home cooked food to my dog so I can't don't have to worry about contaminated surfaces, including dog fur. I think your dogs were smart.

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't help thinking of many humans' reaction to liver when they acted disgusted by it! LOL!

Guess I didn't make it clear but we are not transitioning to raw - this was just supposed to be a one time treat, and since I had read so many posts mentioning chicken or other small poultry necks as a good size for small dogs, I thought it was a good opportunity for a treat.

They get commercial raw for breakfast everyday and that is as far as I go for regular raw feeding! :amen:

Reactions: patk
1 - 8 of 8 Posts