1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But here's my response to THIS (after) on my local Craigslist:

Wanting a labradoodle

Wanting a labradoodle

We would love a labradoodle puppy to young adult. Perfer f1b or more poodle than lab. For less shedding reasons. We have been reading alot on the breed, Female perfer but will take a male. Any color, Must love children and get along with other dogs.

re: wanting a labradoodle

Search Results: Error

There are at least 10 needing rescue, within a half-day's drive. Many are adopted because of the cute puppy factor, then abandoned when they grow up rowdy, big dogs.

There are no guarantees on coats being non-shedding with these crosses, whether f1, f2, whatever- it's a crapshoot. You want a mixed breed dog, you will get huge variation in coat (if you want the guarantee, research Std Poodles & you can get a dog with a predictable coat).

If price for the dog is the largest consideration, please consider that grooming needs for one of my poodles is a $70 experience every month & a half, plus clippers for face, foot, tail shaving between grooms, poodle comb, slicker, creme rinse, etc (plus heartworm meds, etc).

Poodle mixes can require extensive grooming, too (and you won't know it till they lose the puppy coat).

Please consider rescuing a shelter 'doodle' that is already waiting for a home (plus, you will be able to see the coat past the puppy fluff stage & choose).

Did I do OK? I didn't want to come off snotty (I once gently suggested to a
person rehoming their young, fashionable toy breed bitch that they spay her first, to prevent brokers/mills getting ahold of her- I was off & flagged by the brokers in less than 5 minutes- how else will they replenish their breeding stock/profit? :rolffleyes:)

I hoped to fly enough under their radar to actually let the (hopefully well-intentioned) original lister actually get a chance to READ it. Whether they listen or not, sigh.

You should have seen my post (doodle rant) before I edited. :eek:hwell:

PS It says 'Search Error', but it's a working Petfinder link. *Shrug*.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Annnnnd... less than 5 minutes later, it's off. Some Doodle breeder almost lost a sale. It's a good thing they were on top of it.

Meanwhile, (I flagged it yesterday, 'no breeding' is the rule) as of last time I checked, there is a guy looking for anyone w/ a gs male to impregnate his bitch, since he needs a whole litter to 'reproduce his best friend'.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thats sounds great to me. People just dont understand that all these Doodle breeds are mixs with high prices. I feel so sorry for the poor dogs most end up not wanted and in shelters. I got my labradoodle from a customer who didnt like how shy she was. She told me she was a f4. At that time i didnt know what that meant. Then i later found out that it meant she is almost all poodle whats the point why not get a Spoo. Dont get me wrong I LOVE my ladradoodle and would not trade her for anything. Its just wrong. Most of the Doodle breeders are BYB.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is the typical response from the person who keeps defending unfixed small dog rehoming, and apparently my flagger (my first crazy! yay.):

Everyone knows about shelters and rescues

'Everyone knows about shelters and rescues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-04-27, 12:42PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shelters and Rescues did not happen overnight, Everyone knows about them. Some perfer not to go there. This does not make them bad. This site is getting to be the worse of the worse sites just b/c of all the drama. It is a shame, that just b/c someone wants a dog and does not go to a shelter you want to pass judgement. You are not God, never will be, He can be the only one to judge, Why not leave people be, I have to agree with the other post, if you don't have what they are looking for, don't reply. That is what gets this site clogged up. I have to ask you how much money do you donate each month or year or week to the shelters or rescues you so proud to back? How much time do you spend there? Do you have any animals from there? Do you run one? So what if a labradoodle is not a pure breed. Most are not. Do you know that yorkies comes from a mix of different terriers and maltese, Most don't just happen. They are breed down from other dogs to get there. Now they are AKC dogs. so get off the mix breed deal,'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't know I was hatin' on the doodles (poor lambs, I have one next door), lol. No, just the people who profit off misery.

There are several of these 'don't hate on me because I want an unfixed Morkie' trolls (breeders/brokers) pretending to be concerned citizens, if you want context. It's a shame the flagging is automatic, instead of reviewed. I am starting to believe seriously, there is a mill/broker yahoo group organizing this.

Is it nationwide? Are the mills & brokers running/patrolling the 'pets' area of your Craigslist?

(Post a response mentioning spay/neuter or mills/byb or call 'doodles' mixed breeds, & see how long it stays up, if you are interested in how many local scumbags you have around, wanting to turn inconvenient pets into puppy factories.)

I feel famous- with two total polite spay/rescue advocacy posts, I've ruined Craigslist. :p

Edit: oh dudes! check it out, that 'perfer'; it's the same person who posted their ad wanting an f2b pup or 'young adult' defending their right to get an animal, with like, a known personality/history, like the labradoodle breed she mentioned. I thought she sounded fishy, with her needing an f2b- how else will she find poodle breeeding stock to get in her doodles, since spoo breeders are notoriously protective of their puppies' future lives?

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It's mostly "free to good home" where I am. ;) Some adoption fees to ensure a good home, but I've not seen anything really bad yet (other than one or two stud services) It's crowded with dog-walking/sitting/grooming/training ads though...

Good for you for trying to educate! Too bad the BYB is so adamant about selling mutts. ): Some people just don't want to hear the truth, they are too stubborn. Sigh.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My last shot (I had a minute, & left her spew of drivel unflagged to let her out her own moral moronitude): (I give it less time than it takes to post this)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote, apparently to my sincere response showing 10 lovely 'doodles' in shelters, from the person who 'wants a young labradoodle':

'Shelters and Rescues did not happen overnight, blah blah i have a right from God to throw two dogs in a pen and sell what happens so what if a labradoodle is not a pure breed. Most are not. Do you know that yorkies comes from a mix of different terriers and maltese, Most don't just happen. They are breed down from other dogs to get there. Now they are AKC dogs. so get off the mix breed deal,'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahhh, shelters require the dogs to be *fixed*. No wonder you need an f2b with lots of poodle blood- std poodle breeders are pretty guarded about where their puppies end up. How else can you breed the oodle into your doodles for money?

PLEASE people, spay & neuter before you rehome your pets, unless you want your dog to end up penned, living in a crate in their feces, matted, & bred to death (like that poodle x mill in Sparta- no doubt they flagged that post off, too.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't stand it. Unfortunately I no longer have the time to engage in a battle of wits with the unarmed (seriously, the level of reason is worse than my 7 yr old's). But still, maybe someone will see it before it's disappeared. At worst, they know people are on to them.

PS I edited her quote only for our amusement, not there! I did title it a bit snarkily though...
're: people who 'perfer' non-shelter dogs'

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:)

It wasn't a waste of time, it got the evening spay/neuter shift on board reposting (and adding to) what the puppymillers/flippers keep flagging.

Gotta keep trying to educate, until the balance of knowledge tips away from ignorance (and ill deeds to animals for profit are shunned & punished).

Here's one...

'This exchange is worth repeating because it bears witness to what many of us have been "preaching" forever here on Craigslist. This site is full of dog flippers, backyard breeders, and puppymillers who want YOUR pet, especially your UNFIXED pet. Do you doubt this? Almost every day someone is here trying to get their dog back from someone who CLAIMED to be a nice person just wanting a pet. Next thing, the pet is for sale here on Craigslist, or the adopter has disappeared and the person is no longer able to find them to check up on the pet they rehomed.

Just be very, very careful about placing your animals. Make sure your pet is spayed/neutered. DO NOT trust the new owner to do that. Check out the adopter- get references, ESPECIALLY a VET reference. Take you pet to its new home so you can SEE with your own eyes where your pet will live. And use your common sense. Rescue groups are a great resource for helping you rehome your pet. They are professionals at that.'

Yay for the night shift!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My last Craigslist point for the night:

'The lovely 'labradoodle' defender/fancier/oh, puppy miller? She cares so much about the 'breed', that she flagged this off:

Search Results: Error

God forbid one of those poor dogs gets a home, from someone here legitimately wanting a *pet*.

It speaks a lot of a person's character that they would flag a post featuring a list of homeless, fixed shelter/rescue dogs (rejected as unsuitable breeding stock- the only flaw they wouldn't generally breed from being a lack of reproductive organs), & then rant because someone (in their optimism that not every ignoramus/poor speller here has bad intentions) tried to help them AND a homeless dog.

I hope there is a home here for one of these sweet *mixed breed* poodle cross dogs that deserve as much love, care, & regard as any AKC Champ. Yeah, I'm the doodle hater- the one who wants the existing ones to find good homes, instead of a hellish life as a puppy factory.'

Sorry, it's just these *people*. Ugh. I have always just watched before, but it must get tiring for the regular good guys. Maybe it's just a big city thing? (My littler Craigslists from nearby towns are relatively normal & drama free!)

When the economy goes south, it seems like people have a built-in excuse to consider their pets disposable. And the puppymillers build up a backlog of free breeding stock, for 'better times'. Our Craigslist is a heartbreaking amalgam of abandoned animals right now. :(

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had a lady call me one week ago. she saw my ad for standard puppies and said she was desperate and time was of the essence. She wanted to use my silver stud right away to breed to her female labradoodle who was right in the middle of her fertile time....Like HURRY NOW. I told her, Hell No and she got all pizzy with me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
All flagged, all gone.

I got a little satisfaction flagging one of 'em back, the constant postings of the 'Middle Tenn Rescue Assoc', a new, local non-established 'rescue' begging people for their animals (for free), that 'adopts' its animals out unfixed (but for a substantial fee), that won't cooperate/interact with anyone in the ASPCA/ local rescue scene, & is run out of an apartment.

They are freaky tireless in reposting. Horrid people seem to have time on their hands for 'public relations' (i.e., damage control).

PS I thought the little shrieky part from her (sorry about her Wall of Text, if anyone missed it) about "HOW MANY RESCUES HAVE I GOT", blah blah, was pretty amusing, considering Bella (and all six of my rescue/tamed-feral feline herd- God bless the Cat Genie).

I got a lovely trained spoo for a hundred dollars, inc spay! I consider her a deal- but then, spayed after being bred repeatedly till she is gray in the muzzle, she wouldn't have been much use to this Doodle-brain.

I could've responded, but it was beneath Bella's dignity to be spoken of to her. *Snort of indignation*

·
Registered
24 Posts
I honestly think that doodle (and other) breeders who make false statements about dogs being hypoallergenic and non-shedding should be liable for fraud.
I don't have a problem with mutts. I love them. I DO have a problem with people charging $1500 for them based on fraudulent statements.

I think working for the vet has jaded me. I remember the guy who got his Husky at Dr. Pet. It was a cryptorchid. He wanted to breed it because "I paid good money for this dog and I want to make it back". Or the Dobie lady who had multiple plastic surgeries done for her dobie, but when we asked if she was going to get it neutered said "No! I believe in leaving things as nature intended!". I actually refused to groom 2 lhasas whose owner brought them in once a year in pelted coats, but who I knew had made $6,000 that year on pups.

There are so many idiots out there. Don't think the thought didn't cross my mind for a second to have a litter of pups, spot them with dye, call them spotted leopard poodles and sell them for $5000 a piece. Because I know I could get suckers to buy them. By the time the spots grew out, I could take my $25,000 and move! lol. Or blame their groomer stating that they "never need to be groomed" and that the groomer ruined the coat. I'm just joking, I would never do that. But my point is that I could probably find 5 suckers to buy them.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
There are so many idiots out there. Don't think the thought didn't cross my mind for a second to have a litter of pups, spot them with dye, call them spotted leopard poodles and sell them for $5000 a piece. Because I know I could get suckers to buy them. By the time the spots grew out, I could take my $25,000 and move! lol. Or blame their groomer stating that they "never need to be groomed" and that the groomer ruined the coat. I'm just joking, I would never do that. But my point is that I could probably find 5 suckers to buy them.
isn't that the sad thing though...there are people who would have fallen for that XD
I know if I found a leopard poodle I'd snatch it RIGHT up XDD

and I agree I can't stand people who sell these dogs for 500 and up...its absurd to me that someone who has the money to spend on a dog like that...isn't going with a breeder that health tests and breeds idk...real dogs?

we have a lab/spoo mix though and we love him dearly
but maybe thats because we got him from a shelter ((about 1400$ cheaper than a doodle breeder))...and we weren't told he was hypoallergenic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts