Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my Petjet, a less expensive version of the Rapid Bath. I got it at Amazon.com for 35.40 including shipping.

Teddy and Ginger were filthy! hadn't been groomed since Jan. before my surgery. By the way Teddy's top knot and ears are growing in nicely just like I wanted lol and now he isn't an anteater anymore!
I bathed them both yesterday and after blotting them and toweling them and raking them we went outside on the deck where the sun was really hot and they dried.
Then, foolishly because I was exhausted when done - I gave them haircuts - wow their hair was so long! anyway ginger gave me such a hard time with the legs and feet - I don't know what that groomer did to her because she was never like this for me. she actually made believe she was going to bite me - I say made believe because when she curled her lip and growled I put my hand right in her mouth and said go ahead! and she kissed me. But I have to say she was a little scary at times.
So when I did Teddy I was so tired I did his body and then tried to do his legs like Gunther. I have to say for not knowing how to do this it looks pretty good but he is too heavy for that look so when my back is better lol I will clip his legs down. He let me do his feet outside but when I tried Ginger she really growled! so I tried her on the top of the crate where I groom them - she still was really scared. Oh well they are clean and clipped fairly well and I am hurting! lol

I liked the pet jet though - it made the bath much easier.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
wow sorry to hear about Ginger not wanting a haircut. I clipped Saleen yesterday and she didn't like it either. She put her teeth on me for the first time. I don't think she'll try it again really soon. I think I really scared her. I yelped really loud and right at that moment god decided to help out and there was a HUGE clash of thunder (it's been storming something awful here for the last three days). Scared the crap out of me too LoL. Poor thing got sort of a double wammy lol. She jumped about a foot and hasn't so much as mouthed on me even in play since then.

Glad the pet jet worked out for you. What is the water pressure like with those things?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow sorry to hear about Ginger not wanting a haircut. I clipped Saleen yesterday and she didn't like it either. She put her teeth on me for the first time. I don't think she'll try it again really soon. I think I really scared her. I yelped really loud and right at that moment god decided to help out and there was a HUGE clash of thunder (it's been storming something awful here for the last three days). Scared the crap out of me too LoL. Poor thing got sort of a double wammy lol. She jumped about a foot and hasn't so much as mouthed on me even in play since then.

Glad the pet jet worked out for you. What is the water pressure like with those things?
Just wondering - when I had a trainer come in because ginger had this fear agression problem - he told me that when she growls at me to put my fist next to her jaw and say "out!" that usually works but not the other day. I noticed you yelped. I know Saleen is much younger - is that why? I don't want Ginger to think I am afraid lol - she might bite me then ha ha - shoudl I have yelped? i just put my finger right in her growling mouth and said go ahead - she kissed me. I don't think she will bite me but sometimes I wonder. she has never put her teeth on me before.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh - when she did put her teech on my hand I yelled "ginger! and she knew I ws mad at her.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I do the yelping thing. Even now T stops immediately and looks at me with really concerned eyes as if to say "Sorry Mummy didn't realise it was that hard", he is use to playing rough with the GSD :smile: It isn't a sign of weakness it is to remind the dog that this type of behaviour is not acceptable, they don't really want to hurt us I figure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My neighbor gave me a petjet...

...and I just used it this weekend on Cleo. I couldn't get it to give up any shampoo, but I'll keep playing with it.
This was the first time I've bathed and clipped Cleo myself, so it was a bit of an adventure. She was very patient with me!
She kept looking up at me like: "um... you really don't know what you're doing, do you?".
I have a canister vacuum I bought years ago to use as a dryer, and it worked brilliantly... if a bit of overkill. When I first turned it on, she thought it was a good time to make an exit...:bolt:
But we got that all worked out.

I took advice from a couple of the groomers here, and took her back and midsection down with a 7f. That's VERY short! She's now my velvet girl.
Legs I blended in and scissored into something of a lamb cut.
I'm letting her ears and tail recover from the fiasco she had at the groomers, but I'll get a picture of her and show y'all.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you have to dilute the shampoo with water if you don't use their shampoo. I also had trouble with getting it out but practice makes perfect! lol

·
Registered
182 Posts
you have to dilute the shampoo with water if you don't use their shampoo. I also had trouble with getting it out but practice makes perfect! lol
Ah! That would make sense, it's just a little too thick. Do you pump that second trigger, or is it pumped out by water pressure? :questionmark:

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah! That would make sense, it's just a little too thick. Do you pump that second trigger, or is it pumped out by water pressure? :questionmark:
I kept my finger down on the soap button the whole time I was in the shampooing part of the bath - that's what my directions said - when I was finished wasing them I rinsed, put conditioner on and then rinsed again and ended with leave on conditioner - their coats were long and unruly since they had not been groomed since Jan when I had shoulder surgery. I wondered if they were really clean but when dry and I clipped them the hair was clean1 yay! so it worked for me. I think the next bath will be easier because their coats are short now and I can't wait to use it in the summer with the hose - that will be really easy. I usually used the hose but not having to handle the shampoo bottle really helps!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The yelping, or short scream if you have to, is a throw back to how puppies behave around their litter mates. If a puppy bites to hard ot gets to rough their littermat will yelp and end whatever fun game they are playing by moving away from the offending puppy. I use to yelp pretty frequently to teach dogs to be gentle with their mouths. Usually I yelp, fold my arm and turn my back on the puppy.

In Ginger's case I would try the yelp, it needs to be loud and highpitched. If it doesn't work right away that is a time out.

With grooming though careful, if you do a time out then you've stopped the groom which is what the dog wanted. No good. In that case try a yelp once or twice and reward when she lets you do a little clipping with no growling and mouthing. ...

Shoot I'm late for work (again) I'll finish this one later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts