Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a long time and kept wanting to "thank" people's posts so I created an account :)

I grew up with Standard Poodles (my mother did a lot of research back in the day and ended up with a pretty, but headstrong and independent black poodle from Canada).

My SP as an adult was a lovely cream girl who was my first "baby", and was a great companion to our daughters who came along about 2 years after I brought my Daphne home.

Unfortunately, she died from skin cancer at age 10 after suffering from SA for several years.

It's taken us more than a decade to feel like we're ready for another SP-the fact that we're empty nesters now has definitely fueled that desire :bump2:

I'm so glad to see that there have been some great genetic advances since 2008 (when we lost Daphne). I've been learning SO much from this forum. :adore:

Our plans for our SP are Therapy Dog work if he turns out to have the inclination for it (I currently have a rescue chihuahua who is an awesome little dude (and a Registered Therapy Animal), we volunteer with Happy Tails Pet Therapy in Atlanta, and it is just the best experience for both of us. https://www.happytailspets.org/

My husband is looking forward to endless tennis ball retrieves off the back of our boat, and some stand-up paddleboarding and swimming with our someday "big dude".

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Well hello right back at you! Welcome to PF and best wishes for finding a wonderful new spoo. They are like potato chips, hard to have just one and quit, although I understand being reserved. I do think though that one of the best ways to honor them memory of a well loved dog that has crossed the bridge is to make room for another of its kind, not to replace of course though.

Reactions: RSH

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Welcome from one southerner to another. Here is hoping you will find a spoo who will be a great therapy dog, they do such an admirable service.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome. I'm quite new here and have an abundance of questions for the more seasoned poo parents.

One of your comments I found most intriguing. SUP with a spoo. We are a water loving family and us along with our daughter have boards. It never occurred to me that our Marley may be able to join us. I have only ever seen small dogs on boards. He is a crazy 10 weeks right now, but this does give me some hope for water activities during the warmer months.

All the best in your quest for your new poodle.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF! I'm happy for you deciding on another spoo in yours and your hubby's life! When you are researching breeders make sure you check here.......you will find owners here of many of the best breeders dogs, and also warnings about the not-so-goods ones too! Happy Hunting! (and 'ASK' if you find a breeder that you are interested in and we'll give our opinion too LOL!)

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Welcome! I wish I had found PF before my poodle quest to get opinions and insider options on breeders I might not haven known about. You will find a great puppy and best of all, already have breed experience.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Hi and welcome. Poodles make the best therapy dogs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. I'm quite new here and have an abundance of questions for the more seasoned poo parents.

One of your comments I found most intriguing. SUP with a spoo. We are a water loving family and us along with our daughter have boards. It never occurred to me that our Marley may be able to join us. I have only ever seen small dogs on boards. He is a crazy 10 weeks right now, but this does give me some hope for water activities during the warmer months.

All the best in your quest for your new poodle.
Here’s a YouTube video of a German Shepherd doing SUP for the first time ☺

Here’s a puppy practicing, although he needs a life vest.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Welcome! It's lovely to have you here!

I don't know about the water plans and paddle boarding--mine wouldn't go for it and the GSD doesn't look to be having fun, but the golden puppy does... I would look for a really bold/water loving temperament for your husband's plans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts