Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Fenris to the groomer today to get an adult cut (a recommended, expensive one since I wanted him to have a good experience). I talked with the groomer, talked about my concerns, that if it took me multiple trips to get it done, so be it, that his (Fenris') comfort was most important, blah blah blah. The groomer seemed to be on the same page. When I got him, he seemed fine and happy.

Then a few hours later he laid down as poodles do with his legs spread obscenely and I noticed something on his skin. When I tried to touch it he flinched. Is this razor burn? Or something else? If this is razor burn, what do I do? Do I take him to the vet? Can I do anything to ease this for him? I feel so horrible I'm about to cry. And yesterday he did not have anything in that area. I feel so bad I'm about to cry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
That kind of looks like something that was there before and was irritated by being shaved over. I would probably put some skin cream on it because it looks dry. I have some hypericum and calendula cream just in case I accidentally give Starla razor burn.

Reactions: AliFenrisMom

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That kind of looks like something that was there before and was irritated by being shaved over. I would probably put some skin cream on it because it looks dry. I have some hypericum and calendula cream just in case I accidentally give Starla razor burn.
I'll have to get some. Maybe make an appointment with the vet for Monday? Could it be something more serious?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I personally would not go to the vet for that as long as it starts looking better and not worse and it’s not bothering him. You have to do what you feel is best of course.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally would not go to the vet for that as long as it starts looking better and not worse and it’s not bothering him. You have to do what you feel is best of course.
Thanks! I have an appointment coming up soon anyway, but at least as long as it's not an emergency, it makes me feel better. I gave him a bully stick, and he seems happy. Did a puppy class earlier and he was really good, did not seem bothered. So I think I may be overpanicking.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You can get some Hibiclens in the first aid department at Walmart, it will be near the bandaids. It contains chlorhexidine which is helpful to clean skin rashes, scrapes and wounds. My vet recommended it. Clean the rash area with this and maybe put on a cone or inflatable donut so he can not lick it. Probably see the vet about it Monday. I don’t think this is grooming related.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get some Hibiclens in the first aid department at Walmart, it will be near the bandaids. It contains chlorhexidine which is helpful to clean skin rashes, scrapes and wounds. My vet recommended it. Clean the rash area with this and maybe put on a cone or inflatable donut so he can not lick it. Probably see the vet about it Monday. I don’t think this is grooming related.
Thanks! I'll go to WalMart tomorrow and pick that stuff up. I haven't seen him lick it yet but it's a good idea. Where can I buy such cones?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Looks like the sort of scratches Misha has gotten from general rough play with other dogs. Or from allergic reactions to plants like poison ivy. They always clear up really fast. It could be from the groomer trying to trim a wiggly puppy, but it isn't my initial thought from the appearance. Sometimes it is hard to see things until the hair is shaved.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Some vets will be happy to review photos, so I'd call on Monday to see if you can send that photo over for their thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
Some vets will be happy to review photos, so I'd call on Monday to see if you can send that photo over for their thoughts.
This is a good idea. A good groomer won’t get defensive and, if they did cause it, will have no problem explaining how it might have happened and can therefore ensure it doesn’t happen again.

It doesn’t look anything like the awful clipper burn Peggy got at her last appointment, but if it was already there , I’m a little surprised your groomer didn’t mention it to you. Just a simple, “Are you aware of the scratches on your puppy’s belly?”

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vet is open Sundays, I took him in and apparently it's an infection. They aren't sure if it's come from grooming, or the groomer made it worse, or maybe allergy related... but I have antibiotics and a spray to treat it. Then I need to watch the area and take him back if no improvement or if it comes back again.

Thank you all for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Good thing you did go into the vet so you can treat immediately and appropriately before it got worse.

Poor baby, I hope it clears up quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Good to know that you were able to get a jump on this. I hope Fenris improves quickly and that you both will feel better :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts