Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With our mild temperatures, we have little use for doggy clothes around here. But I put Peggy's stretchy fleece on her the other day, when she was itchy and irritated after a bad grooming experience. It calmed her right down and allowed her to get some sleep. I assumed the gentle pressure distracted from all the unpleasant sensations.

Well she's fully recovered from that awful grooming appointment, but I've continued to use the fleece if she's still got energy to burn and we're ready to just crash with a movie.

It's not like she's shutting down in a negative way. My parents had a schnauzer who would freeze when you put her coat on. Peggy will still play and eat and do all the normal things. She doesn't seem to even really notice it's there. But if we tell her to lie down, her eyes immediately get heavy and she can't resist snuggling in for a deep snooze. If you wake her up while she's got her sweater on, she looks almost drugged.

Why?

Is it the extra warmth? The pressure? It's the Duluth Double Fleece from Gold Paw, so not tight like a thunder shirt, but clingy. Maybe the effect is similar?

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,702 Posts
Edited because I just saw your note after the photos:

Yes, it sounds very similar to the effect of the Thundershirt, even though it's not as snug. Or perhaps she just knows how adorable she looks and wants to make sure you get good photos.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I bought a thick blanket for my Arabian mare just before shipping her from Houston to the mountains of New Mexico in October. I wanted to try it on her to be sure it fitted. She had never had a blanket before. This new blanket was nylon on the outside to repel rain, so it was "crinkly". We put her in the crossties in the the stable and put the blanket on. Her reaction was to crouch down as low as the crossties would permit! Poor thing!

So we put it on her every day for a short time and walked her around with it on so she would not be so bothered by it. That did work! But I will never forget her trying to get out from under it!

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a thick blanket for my Arabian mare just before shipping her from Houston to the mountains of New Mexico in October. I wanted to try it on her to be sure it fitted. She had never had a blanket before. This new blanket was nylon on the outside to repel rain, so it was "crinkly". We put her in the crossties in the the stable and put the blanket on. Her reaction was to crouch down as low as the crossties would permit! Poor thing!

So we put it on her every day for a short time and walked her around with it on so she would not be so bothered by it. That did work! But I will never forget her trying to get out from under it!
That is so cute and funny! Arabians are exquisite.

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like I've discovered a super power.

She was wandering around after dinner, halfheartedly nudging her ball, poking her nose out the curtains, woofing at random noises, asking for treats....and all I want to do is relax. So on went the sweater!

(She chewed the yak cheese for maybe 30 seconds before passing out.)

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have one particular set of neighbours, across the street, who are acoustically aligned with our home in such a way that every slam of their car door, without fail, elicits a WOOF from Peggy. She'll ignore barking dogs, she'll ignore the garbage truck, but a single slam from that house, and she's on guard.

Well, there were just three slams in a row and....

She is literally snoring.

There are now toddlers screaming outside the window as I type this. She stretched....

And returned to snoring. :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Better go ahead and order another one just like it. Super powers are too important to entrust to just one garment!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Better go ahead and order another one just like it. Super powers are too important to entrust to just one garment!
Yes, order another because by the time this one is worn out, they won’t make it anymore ! I think it acts as a thundershirt but I never knew they were so efficient !

I love the little tongue sticking out, the belly, the teeth, the big paws. Can I borrow her for a few weeks ?

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, order another because by the time this one is worn out, they won’t make it anymore ! I think it acts as a thundershirt but I never knew they were so efficient !

I love the little tongue sticking out, the belly, the teeth, the big paws. Can I borrow her for a few weeks ?
Haha! Sure, @Dechi. She'd love that.

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
However it works this is amazing :).
I'm actually starting to feel a little guilty. It's been four hours. Lol.

At one point she gave me an "I have to pee" poke, but then came right back inside after and zzzzzzzzzzz. I popped a treat in her mouth and she just held it in there for a minute before chewing in sleepy slow motion. When I had to leave the couch to do other things, she drifted over to my husband and slept on him for a while.

I think Gold Paw should re-brand these things as Poodle Tamers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts