Poodle Forum banner

Weird puppy thing--water bowl

1040 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ShamrockPoodle
I know pups and sometimes older dogs can be sloppy drinkers. Scribble takes it to a level I have not seen. He puts his front feet in the bowl and digs--- wheee! Water everywhere!!!

Is this something he will grow out of? Do you have any training ideas?

Blueberry is not impressed with Scribble's grand performance but Scribble seems quite proud... Won't stop until the bowl is empty... Wheeeee!
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
They're Water Doggos, remember? 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
Peggy was also very much into water bowl swimming. We solved this by mounting her indoor water bowl up and off the ground in her crate (which was always accessible).

Annnnd we got her an outdoor kiddie pool.
Reactions: 2
I will ponder a raised bowl. Right now he is so small I don't know if he could drink out of one. But it would be a lot cheaper than getting a house with a yard so I could have a kiddie pool. :)

Maybe more baths?
  • Haha
If you have a crate with horizontal bars, a mounted bowl can be mounted at just about any height. It really did solve the problem. After a few months, Peggy was fine with a regular bowl, but we keep the mounted one for her to use in the crate.
Scribble is still very young. I鈥檓 not surprised. It wasn鈥檛 that long ago that he was introduced to drinking water from a bowl. Before that he was nursing. If you ever see young puppies when they are first introduced to food and water, they walk through the bowls, they play in them, they make one heck of a mess. Puppies haven鈥檛 learned to separate 鈥減laying 鈥 from 鈥渆ating and drinking 鈥. They haven鈥檛 learned to eat like a mature dog from a bowl/plate/container.

My puppy Theo when I got home was into walking through the water bowl and using a paw to splash the water. He made a mess too. Like Peggy鈥檚 mom I had to figure out a way to deliver water in a way that he couldn鈥檛 play. I found a water bowl on Amazon that had a lid that attached over the bowl leaving a small area to drink from so he couldn鈥檛 get his paws into the bowl. It took a week with this bowl before I switched back to a regular bowl. He quickly learned to drink like a gentleman.

I got rid of the bowl because it had a problem, it was so shiny that the dogs and humans couldn鈥檛 see if there was water in the bowl鈥 that鈥檚 why I used it such a short time. When pets can鈥檛 see where the water level is in a bowl they tap or dip their feet into determine the level. I didn鈥檛 want to encourage this behavior so i went back to my regular bowl which didn鈥檛 have this problem.

If that bowl didn鈥檛 do the trick, my next plan was to use a pail shape water bowl that I use when going to dog competitions. The pail has a handle that I use a carabiner to clip it onto a grate in the crate so my dogs have access to water, but they can鈥檛 tip the pail. Pails come in different sizes, mine fits minipoos. If you use pail, look for one with one flat side so it lays nicely against a crate or pen when attached.

Link as an example of a pail with one flat side. Attach a carabiner to the pail handle and snap on a crate or pen side. You need to pick the best size for you dog. Small enough that he鈥檚 not going to put his feet in placed high enough he can easily get his head into drink.

The good news is you can help Scribble stop this behavior. it doesn鈥檛 take long to develop a mature drinking behavior with no pawing.
See less See more
This is the type of bowl we had when Scribble first came home. Blueberry has always used it with no issue. But Scribble splashed all over with it.

Then we had a regular bowl. He was fine at first but now splashed with it. He has water in his pen but not his crate. Unfortunately our pen has acrylic clear sides so it is hard to attach things to it. His crate and the pen are in the picture. (Well the living room crate as opposed the kids' room crates and our room crate. Crates everywhere)

But maybe an elevated bowl would work. Or something like this but less and $55

Flooring Floor Luggage and bags Automotive tire Window
See less See more
It鈥檚 worth trying. I鈥檝e never seen a pen like yours with acrylic sides. Nice looking pen.

I believe your crate has a metal grate door. If the bowl above doesn鈥檛 work, the move the crate inside the pen and use that with a pail. Once Scribble gets the hang of drinking water properly you can move the crate out again.
If the day comes for that house and yard...(sorry, couldn't resist the mental pictures lol)
Amazon.com: Dog Outdoor Dog Drinking Water Fountain Step On, Easy Paw Activated Drinking Pet Dispenser, Provides Fresh Water, Sturdy, Easy to Use by Trio Gato : Pet Supplies

Hopefully more seriously a possibility, similar to some above but check the claims on "not a drop spilled".
Buddy Bowl | Spill-Proof Water Bowl For Dogs - Ray Allen Manufacturing

You'll find reviews on Amazon also but the bowls are "currently unavailable" there.

Similar design, similar claims, even less $
Amazon.com: Petmate No Spill Bowl : Pet Supplies
See less See more
  • Love
Peggy would LOVE that. She was trying to turn a random faucet on in the park today.
  • Haha
Freddy paddled, and papillons are not known for being water dogs! I put a shallow tray under the bowl to save mess and he found more interesting games after a few weeks.
  • Love
Oh my...That looks like fun!
They have this in the summer at one of the dog parks near me. We will have to see what Scribble thinks.
Loki started that way. Then he got bigger and decided splashing the water in the bowl wasn't fun anymore. Dumping the water out and playing in it on the floor was way more fun. I bought a wide variety of no spill, no tip water bowls. He figured out a way to spill or tip all of them. I bought a heavy ceramic bowl with a rubber ring. It wasn't fun to push around the floor. I also had to supervise drinking with the bowl up unless someone was watching.
I didn't try the mounted bowls because I didn't have any place to put them. Plus my other dog won't drink from anything other than a normal bowl.
Pia loved to play in the water bowl, now she will dig at it if it is empty.
Oddly enough Ussman the cat, digs in the water bowl he will be 2 in June
When Winnie was little she had a water bowl attached to the bars of her crate just at the right height for her to drink and now she is adult she has a raised bowl so she doesnt get a chance to stick her feet in. Not sure if she would have but maybe we stopped the possibility. She loooooooves a kiddie pool.
Scribble is still very young. I鈥檓 not surprised. It wasn鈥檛 that long ago that he was introduced to drinking water from a bowl. Before that he was nursing. If you ever see young puppies when they are first introduced to food and water, they walk through the bowls, they play in them, they make one heck of a mess. Puppies haven鈥檛 learned to separate 鈥減laying 鈥 from 鈥渆ating and drinking 鈥. They haven鈥檛 learned to eat like a mature dog from a bowl/plate/container.

My puppy Theo when I got home was into walking through the water bowl and using a paw to splash the water. He made a mess too. Like Peggy鈥檚 mom I had to figure out a way to deliver water in a way that he couldn鈥檛 play. I found a water bowl on Amazon that had a lid that attached over the bowl leaving a small area to drink from so he couldn鈥檛 get his paws into the bowl. It took a week with this bowl before I switched back to a regular bowl. He quickly learned to drink like a gentleman.

I got rid of the bowl because it had a problem, it was so shiny that the dogs and humans couldn鈥檛 see if there was water in the bowl鈥 that鈥檚 why I used it such a short time. When pets can鈥檛 see where the water level is in a bowl they tap or dip their feet into determine the level. I didn鈥檛 want to encourage this behavior so i went back to my regular bowl which didn鈥檛 have this problem.

If that bowl didn鈥檛 do the trick, my next plan was to use a pail shape water bowl that I use when going to dog competitions. The pail has a handle that I use a carabiner to clip it onto a grate in the crate so my dogs have access to water, but they can鈥檛 tip the pail. Pails come in different sizes, mine fits minipoos. If you use pail, look for one with one flat side so it lays nicely against a crate or pen when attached.

Link as an example of a pail with one flat side. Attach a carabiner to the pail handle and snap on a crate or pen side. You need to pick the best size for you dog. Small enough that he鈥檚 not going to put his feet in placed high enough he can easily get his head into drink.

The good news is you can help Scribble stop this behavior. it doesn鈥檛 take long to develop a mature drinking behavior with no pawing.
U
Yes鈥攖he shiney bowls!!! I think my puppies saw their reflection in the bowl!!! They prefer tea cups now鈥攇o figure!!!
  • Love
This is the type of bowl we had when Scribble first came home. Blueberry has always used it with no issue. But Scribble splashed all over with it.

Then we had a regular bowl. He was fine at first but now splashed with it. He has water in his pen but not his crate. Unfortunately our pen has acrylic clear sides so it is hard to attach things to it. His crate and the pen are in the picture. (Well the living room crate as opposed the kids' room crates and our room crate. Crates everywhere)

. View attachment 491038
Really nice expen!!! Wondering what kind it is?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.