Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a breeder question - not looking for a puppy as I have two 8 year old Spoos and two Aussies. I just love reading about people getting their pups. What happens if a breeder (a really good one that does everything right, and temperament tests their puppies) has, say a litter of 6 with 6 deposits and maybe a wait list. What if 2 people on the deposit list are requesting a certain temperament - maybe for future therapy work, but only one puppy has it? How do you decide which person it goes to? This is really just a random, "3:00am I can't sleep" question, but I'm sure it happens and I'm just curious. Bed now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've wondered the same thing! I'd hope the earlier person on the list would get priority, and the breeder would be honest with the other person about the suitability of the remaining pups.
Thats what I am hoping will happen to me. I mean I went on the waiting list last April, by the time the litter is born I will have been waiting for a year already. I know that I am the first on the list. I would be very upset if the breeder had a suitable puppy for me but gave it to someone else.

Now but what would happen if the breeder has a puppy which is show quality but the temperament is the best fit for a family higher on the list but which is looking for a companion?

Would the show home have priority?

·
Super Moderator
1,625 Posts
Would the show home have priority?
That's what happened with Galen's litter. Several people had requested females, and there weren't enough girls in the litter. The females went to show homes. The people who missed out got a choice between accepting a boy or waiting a year for the breeding to be repeated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's what happened with Galen's litter. Several people had requested females, and there weren't enough girls in the litter. The females went to show homes. The people who missed out got a choice between accepting a boy or waiting a year for the breeding to be repeated.
Well that makes me worried!

Especially with the small poodles as the litters are much smaller.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not poodles, but German shepherds. My breeder ended up with a litter of 7, two girls and five boys. She was planning to keep a girl and the other girl was going to a working home. There were five of us on the list for males and five males. Perfect! Well it turned out that her co-breeder (who wasn’t originally keeping a puppy) fell in love with one of the girls and the breeder’s husband fell in love with one of the boys. That meant there were five people wanting boys and only four boys left.

The breeder messaged me explaining what happened and that one of the remaining males was definitely going to a service dog home, so I couldn’t have him. One of males was going to a competition obedience/agility home, couldn’t have him. The other male was going to be too high energy/drive for what I was looking for. That left one remaining pup that was suitable for two people on the list. She decided to do even more temperament testing, such as testing the litter more around livestock (as one person has livestock and wanted a suitable pup) and test their tracking abilities because one person wanted to compete in tracking. Long story short, after the extra testing and really looking at what people wanted and what the pups were like, she decided my boy was the best fit for me, though he also could have been a good fit for the other person as well. I was just ever so slightly the better home for him specifically. The other person was offered “first pick” (basically just guaranteeing that they would get a pup with the right temperament of the breeder’s choosing and not be bumped again) for the next litter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts