Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been around dogs and observed their behavior for years and I have never seen a dog do what Enzo does.

When we take him to the Dog park and he gets insecure he of course runs away to us. While he runs back he smacks his lips , or if the dogs corner him he smacks his lips. Now I love horses but only know a few things about them. I have seen Pat Parelli work with horses and he explained a horse will lick or smack lips to show submission to another horse. This is the same thing Enzo does ....

Is this weird or a poodle thing? the breeder did have horses ( found this out last week) This may explain why he is always using his feet and not mouth lol

·
Registered
843 Posts
They smack their lips when nervous.
If I hear Gunther smacking his lips in the car I know he will get car sick.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They smack their lips when nervous.
If I hear Gunther smacking his lips in the car I know he will get car sick.
Just poodles ? lmao seriously I never seen this with GSD's, rottweilers, and pit bull type dogs.

Speaking of car sick Enzo is 80% cured we had a 2 hr drive one day and he has been getting better and better only drooling now. Last night I took him to taco bell and he barely drooled.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Roxy - Years ago we had a GSD that got car sick every time we put her in. My dad swore he was not going to have a *?!% dog that got car sick. He "cured" her by driving her around all day. Dad noticed that every time she was about to get sick she'd start to wimper, so he'd put the window down a little, she'd stick her head out for a sec or 2 then lay back down. Never got car sick again.

Have you tried giving him some air?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've seen dogs in for grooming do that Roxy. I take it as a sign of stress or nerves.

Glad to know though that I am not the only person with a dog park weenie... Saleen is learning to be social and play with dog's other than poodles, but it's slow going lol

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen dogs in for grooming do that Roxy. I take it as a sign of stress or nerves.

Glad to know though that I am not the only person with a dog park weenie... Saleen is learning to be social and play with dog's other than poodles, but it's slow going lol
HAHA @ dog park weenie ! Yes enzo loves other dogs but all of them at once is over welming for him. I make sure I see no aggressive dogs because they will pick on him for being insecure we had a rottweiler try to attack Enzo twice and we yelled at the owner to take his dog out. Other people told him to leave also because Enzo was minding his business and he was trying to get him.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roxy - Years ago we had a GSD that got car sick every time we put her in. My dad swore he was not going to have a *?!% dog that got car sick. He "cured" her by driving her around all day. Dad noticed that every time she was about to get sick she'd start to wimper, so he'd put the window down a little, she'd stick her head out for a sec or 2 then lay back down. Never got car sick again.

Have you tried giving him some air?
Well before he was in my bf Monte Carlo I am starting to notice it could be the static from engine . My bf engine is big and he can't see out the windows since its 2 door car. He would go crazy when my bf would start the engine (while outside the car) With my new car he is in the back ( suv ) and can see everying and my engine is only V4 and yes windows are always down for him. He also does not drool and get crazy in my friends car whicn is a sentra.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Ginger smacks her lips when she is nervous
Moose does too.

Normally by that time he's gotten frothy mouth too. He does good on the 1hr drive to the city but sometimes he gets nervous or bad droools.

The other day I had to run errands into a few stores and he was more nervous when I left him in the car then the entire trip down. I only left him in there < 10 minutes too!

He's so funny in the car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I crack the back windows for Rufus. He loves the fresh air. It seemed to help with the car sickness and now I just do it because he likes it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine used to get car sick in the back seat. We would start out and you could almost see him getting greener as we drove down the road. Eventually he got to the point that he would not want to even get in the car. I tried ginger cookies just prior to the trip. That helped a little. When I got a new SUV with more room in the back, the vet suggested to kennel him in the car. I can't say enough about how much this will improve your life! No barking dog and NO VOMITING-instantly. I think the other benefit to kenneling your dog in the car is safety, for you and the dog. My vet was telling me she used to work at an emergency clinic on the weekend and has seen 2 dogs come in that survived car accidents their owners did not who were kenneled. If it is at all a possility in your vehicle- I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a rottweiler who was so used to being crated in the car that she didn't want to ride unless she was in a crate.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we came from the dog park 2hrs ago and he drooled just a TAD !!! YEAH !! and no dogs made him insecure in the park. He actually left our side and ran to play with other dogs that where across the park.:five:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts