Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parti-poodle is a toy and is 11 months old and weighs 9.5 pounds. I thought toy poodles would only weigh up to 7.5 pounds. Is he just big for a toy poodle? I still feed him twice a day - is this too much? Any info would be appreciated since this is my first poodle.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How much do you feed him? Usually it's 1/2 a cup twice a day. The weight sounds about right to me... I know according to the AKC they are 10 inches or under at the highest point of the shoulder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response. I usually feed him twice a day and it's about 1/2 cup each time. I guess I thought he would be smaller! When we picked him out of the litter the breeder thought he would be the smallest but when we went to pick him up she changed her mind and told me he would be one of the largest. Thanks again!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I guess it's like the yorkie breed. You never know what size they will be. I have a yorkie that was suppose to be 5lbs. She weights 15lbs. We love her anyway.:smile-big:

·
Registered
419 Posts
The breed standard for poodles only ever mentions height, not weight. Technically, it's only height that's supposed to determine whether they're toy, mini or standard. That being said, as long as your little guy doesn't feel like he's overweight, I wouldn't worry. Can you feel his ribs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts