Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a dog that gains weight after being in heat?

Tsuki went into her first heat in Jan (she was @ 14 months) and is now looking chubby. There wasn't an increase in food, though I did change her food about 1.5 weeks ago, from Purina Little Bites to ToTW - wetlands. She has also started to get a little sick in the evening and will gag up some stuff, like a browinsh color not bile or anything, and has been getting hormonal with my schnauzer girl (whom btw mentions she is queen of the house). Also believe she has a UTI that I'll be taking a culture in tomorrow.

Is this normal after-heat issues or should I be worried she's pregnant? My mini boy is also intact, but they were never out together, or at least I am told (I have people letting them out during the day when I'm at work) and they all swear up and down they were never out together.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Urrghhh that's not what I want to hear.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Only time I've noticed weight gain after a heat cycle was if the bitch was preggo!

I'd be willing to bet she's probably bout ready to have puppies! You'd be surprised how many bitches have had puppies that couldn't have POSSIBLY been exposed to a male, lol.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Her heat ended around Feb. 18th, and I'm told it's really weird for her to have gained weight at this stage (assuming she's pregnant).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Jamie gained weight each time she was in heat, the first time I thought she had somehow gotten pregnant, the next time... well she was LOL
she got a little sick this last time.
If you personally didn't watch each time she was let out, then I wouldn't totally discount the possibility she is pregnant.
You could always take her to the vet to check for sure.

:)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jamie gained weight each time she was in heat, the first time I thought she had somehow gotten pregnant, the next time... well she was LOL
she got a little sick this last time.
If you personally didn't watch each time she was let out, then I wouldn't totally discount the possibility she is pregnant.
You could always take her to the vet to check for sure.

:)
Yep, calling them tomorrow! And she was never out loose with either of the boys. And yes, being fed the same amount. I hope to all hope I'm just uber paranoid and that she's gotten fat on me. *cries*

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would take her to the vet :rolffleyes: What pet sitter would admit such a mistake and especially if you have a couple of different people - they know that they can blame it on each other. But at the end - you can not blame it on them . Having two unaltered dogs of opposite sex at the same place is just too big of a risk to take .

I hope it is not the case though and that she just has some hormonal thing going on !!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I would say that she is either pregnant or having a false pregnancy. She sounds like she has a classic case of morning sickness which some bitches do get.

Why do you have two intact dogs in your house?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yep, calling them tomorrow! And she was never out loose with either of the boys. And yes, being fed the same amount. I hope to all hope I'm just uber paranoid and that she's gotten fat on me. *cries*
Well, you may be feeding her too much. TOTW has more concentrated nutrition than purina, so you do not have to feed as much (sometimes by up to half)

keep us posted

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do you have two intact dogs in your house?
I prefer waiting until my dogs are fully mature before fixing them. I had planned on fixing Tsuki after she hit a year, but finances hit and in January when I did have money she went into heat. And seeing as my male schnauzer was 2.5 by the time I fixed him I figured I was *skilled* enough to do a good job of keeping them separated if she had gone into heat early. It was never intended in them to breed.

I'm just a silly girl that made a mistake, and I'm paying for it now.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I prefer waiting until my dogs are fully mature before fixing them. I had planned on fixing Tsuki after she hit a year, but finances hit and in January when I did have money she went into heat. And seeing as my male schnauzer was 2.5 by the time I fixed him I figured I was *skilled* enough to do a good job of keeping them separated if she had gone into heat early. It was never intended in them to breed.

I'm just a silly girl that made a mistake, and I'm paying for it now.
Which of the boys is still intact?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts