Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently acquired our fourth standard poodle. Two have since passed. We currently have a 7 year old male red and the new 4 month old dark brown female pup. We have successfully house broken our previous 3 standards. This pup however came pretty much litter box trained. In 5 weeks she has had one minor small pee accident . Otherwise has consistently gone in box but mostly outside as we take her out often. She has only pooped 3 times in the box. All other poops have been outside. However she will be out for an hour, come in and within 10 minutes pee in the box. Any thoughts on creating a transition from the box to outside??

·
Registered
474 Posts
My best advice is Encouragement and praise. Saying go potty every few minutes while you’re out with her and a treat when she does. :)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hi and welcome! Congrats on your new pup! My thoughts are that if you want her to be completely housebroken, you will need to remove the litter box completely. I keep potty pads in the house for my dogs to use, but only in an emergency- they were housebroken first. When taking her out, potty times need to be differentiated from play times.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ian Dunbar has good advice in his free download pdf documents. Take the dog out on a leash to potty. No playing until after they potty. Huge party and a special treat that isn’t given at any other time.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Our pup was trained to paper then the yard. The transition was easy. If he headed for the pad, I'd point to the door and say 'Tinkle downstairs.'

We keep the pads for days the gates have to be unlocked or for days it's raining. He has no problem going in the appropriate place.

Why don't you watch when she comes in and if she heads for the litter box, take her back downstairs. Having a cue word is a big help.

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Bring the box closer and closer to the outside door, and then one day put it right outside the door. After that just put it in the yard somewhere and it won’t be used after a while.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would always keep a few pads on hand afterwards too! my first poodle was prissy when it came to weather and she wouldn't step foot outside during rain or snow. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts