Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We gave him his first “home” bath!

I posted in another thread about his groomer finding some mats in him two weeks ago, and we hadn’t realized we were supposed to comb him after each daily brushing. And it was also suggested to bath him at home between grooms. I was actually super nervous! But I found a video on YouTube and thought “we can do this”!

I got my bathing suit on and got in the tub with him. My husband was outside the tub assisting. Our tub is large and has a wonderful adjustable sprayer so this seemed like a good option and it worked well me being able to sit in the tub with him and not worry about getting wet.

I used both shampoo and conditioner on him, washed his face more gently and used a wash cloth closer to his eyes. Then rinsed him out super well between each wash and condition.

He did a lot of “shaking out the water” during the process! We towel dried him and then I used my “professional” blow dryer on him. My husband held him while I blow dried and brushed him until perfectly dry (used both the low and high settings for air and the warm setting for heat).

I have to admit it was much easier and fun than I expected! I felt so accomplished afterwards and he feels soft and clean. I assume we will do this every week or two going forward! The gentle combing before hand was the hardest / slowest part of it all! Here are the before and after pictures!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Thank you! He smells yummy too. And as my husband says, seems to have more spring in his step, haha!
Poodles getting very bouncy after bath time

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Awesome job on the lil guy she can come do my st poo too. LOL I've thought about it but I haven't been brave enough. The tub would work for shampooing but I would get a good rinse, my stall shower would be good but I'm kinda afraid that he could go right thru the glass. So I guess for now my groomer gets to do it all.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Great job, he looks very fluffy and soft !

If you want to avoid the water shaking off while bathing, just keep a hand on his back during the whole procedure.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Great job - he's so cute with his fluff.

There's nothing more wonderful than a freshly bathed and blow dry poodle.

Reactions: glorybeecosta

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really like Pet Supplies Plus self bathing units. Great elevated tubs, sprayer, dryer and towels. It's 5 dollars if you buy the card. They provide shampoos too but I use my own.

To me it's worth it...especially after a romp in the dog park. I don't have to clean the dirt from my tubs.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I'm so glad you decided to do it! You did a fabulous job..... he looks great, and I bet a soft and clean dog is really worth it too! I love how soft and sweet smelling they are are a bath!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! I don't know why I was so scared! I guess the first time for anything is scary. But it was really no big deal. And my personal blow dryer worked perfect! I definitely won't be worried about it in the future!

I could actually see us migrating slowly towards doing his grooming ourselves. We started with buying safety scissors to cut the hairs around his eyes and face in between grooming. I can see that this can lead to more and more. It gets addicting taking care of our little baby!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've thought about it but I haven't been brave enough. The tub would work for shampooing but I would get a good rinse, my stall shower would be good but I'm kinda afraid that he could go right thru the glass. So I guess for now my groomer gets to do it all.

I have been washing poodles of all sizes in the bathtub for decades. The main thing is to have a hand-held sprayer attached to the shower head. If your tub did not come with one, you can get one at any big box home store. You just unscrew the original head and screw on the new one. Bathing in the shower would work, too, if you don't mind getting yourself wet.

I put a stack of towels on the floor beside the tub and unfold one so the dog can hop out onto a towel. Then I put a towel over his/her body until all the shaking is done. On a standard in show coat, it takes more than one towel to do the initial drying. Even on my mini I usually use two towels on her body - when the first one is quite wet, I wrap her up in the second one and carry her to the grooming table to be dried.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I love the idea of getting in the tub too!
I always have a back ache from leaning over, and he really is not fond of baths. However by now my spoo is fully grown, 9 years old, and 26" at the shoulder. I wonder how he would react?

·
Registered
419 Posts
WOW! Be brave! I've been bathing my poos since the 1970's in the laundry tub with a sprayer that connects to the faucet. I put two towels on the dryer next to the tub and they just have "walked" or been air lifted over to the towels, bundled up and then we go to the drying/brushing. I've always used a good shampoo but recently ReRaven gave me some CC conditioner that I have been using and love now that Rudy is changing his coat. I brush him every day using a pin brush first, then a slicker brush and finally a poodle comb. So far he has only had three knots but his big boy coat seems to be coming in soft and coiled and not harsh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts