Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has severe pet allergies. We had bedlington terriers for 18 years and he did well with them. The last one died a year ago and we've been on a waiting list all that time for a puppy.

The breeder I've been in contact with was hoping to have puppies last fall but the breeding fell through when the male wasn't available. He has 2 breeding females and neither of them has come into season since then.

We got Murphy because I was wondering if we were ever going to find a bedlington and I'm miserable without a dog. She's worked out great and we're so glad that we got her.

Of course, we always have in our minds that we're getting a bedlington, too, since we still have a deposit with that breeder.

Then last week I found out that there is a litter of bedlingtons here in our province, different breeder. It's the only Canadian litter listed on the Bedlington Terrier of America web site and they're located a ferry ride away from me. Coincidentally, I was going to be going over to the mainland anyway this past Friday, so we arranged to meet the breeder and the puppies while I was over there.

We all clicked. The mom and grandmother loved me. The breeder was surprised because momma has been pretty protective of her puppies but she was very cuddly with me and my friend. The puppies were only 3 1/2 weeks old so we couldn't hold them, but we did spend some time with them and he showed them to us individually so we could get a good look.

I was really comfortable with the breeder and his approach and he thinks ours will be a great home for one of his dogs. This is his first litter in 3 years and that's true for most bedlington breeders, so if you find someone you trust, I think you have to seize the opportunity.

We won't know for a few weeks which puppy we'll be getting. I want a blue female and the females are currently spoken for pending DNA testing. It's possible that one will come available as a result of that. Bedlingtons are prone to copper toxicosis. There's no chance that any of these puppies could be affected, but it is possible that some will be carriers. That doesn't matter at all for a pet, but some of them are potential breeding stock, so that could affect those decisions.

If we get a male, that's fine, too. Although female is a preference, what's really important to us is temperament and fit with Murphy. We want to make sure the new dog is submissive as Murphy has dominant tendencies :smile:

Here are some pictures of the babies:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
how cute - I never knew they came in other colors - only have seen white! can't wait to see him grow!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, they don't come in white :wink:! The black ones will clear out to what they call blue which is a light grey. The dark brown (liver) will clear to a pale sandy colour and the one who looks two-tone is a sandy and tan. He'll end up being an even lighter sandy colour. Because sandy and tan are so close in shade, he won't really look two-toned when he's grown but he'll have ligher legs, belly and top knot.

Here are pictures of the 2 common colours: blue and liver. The blue dog (the momma to these puppies) would have been born jet black. The liver one is my last bedlington, Ziggy. He was the colour of a chocolate lab when I first met him.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
How exciting! I'm so glad for you. I thought they came in white too - so I must've seen a blue? The show in Kentucky this year had quite a few of them (more than I had seen at any other show).
Keep us posted! Will you get your puppy at 8 weeks or do they wait until they are older?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How exciting! I'm so glad for you. I thought they came in white too - so I must've seen a blue? The show in Kentucky this year had quite a few of them (more than I had seen at any other show).
Keep us posted! Will you get your puppy at 8 weeks or do they wait until they are older?
Blue is the most common colour, so that's probably what you saw. If they were sandy, then they're a very pale colour, so they might be mistaken for white. Some people used to call Ziggy (the liver) white and I always wondered if they thought I let him go around dirty all the time!

The breeder prefers to keep them until they're 9 - 10 weeks old, so we have about 6 more weeks before we can bring one home. We'll be travelling to see them once or twice more before then if all goes well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow...learn something new every day. I too thought they were only white. And didn't know that their color changed.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Wow, thats so exciting, how wonderful for you!! I've never seen them in any color other than white, thanx for the pics, thats amazing LoL. Hope you get the girl you have your heart on, but I'm sure you'll be thrilled with whichever puppy comes your way. What a neat breed :) Congrats :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
omg im so jelious i couldnt decided weather to get a edlington or a poodle when i first started looking for a dog but the poodle won when i saw my todd

heres some pics of some beddies i saw at a dog grooming comp i competed at on monday just gone

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Span 12-14 Years (approx)

AppearanceBedlington Terrier has been described as having the heart of a lion and the looks of a sheep. They are lean, lithe and muscular, capable of great speed and agility. The thick double coat is a mixture of soft and harsher hair and comes in liver, blue and sandy, the build under the coat is whippet like.

HistoryThe Bedlington terrier is one of the more unusal terriers. Coming from Nothumberland and first known as the Rothbury terrier, in the early 1800's Joseph Ainsley from Bedlington bred his Rothbury terriers and named the offspring Bedlington Terriers. The Bedlington Terrier was reknown for his abilities as a rat catcher with the Bedlington miners, small game hunter and gypsies. His indomitable courage and endurance made him a popular and useful companion with gypsies when they went poaching.

TemperamentThe Bedlington is a wonderful family dog, affectionate, responsive and equally happy having an energetic game with children or curled up on the chair in front of the TV. The Bedlington is a social animal, he loves all people and will tolerate other family pets. Always walk on a lead except in safe off lead area's as they love to run and chase.

Care / GroomingThey need to be brushed every couple of days and not bathed too often as the coat will become lank. Professional clipping will need to be done about every 6 weeks. They shed very little coat and are considered very low allergy.

HealthBedlingtons may have an inherited liver problem known as Copper Toxicosis, breeders are testing for this and it is important that when considering a puppy you should ask about testing. Eye problems such as cataracts and retinal disease have also been seen.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Siv. That description fits with our experience with our 3 bedlingtons. They're very intelligent and easy to train. In fact, I found them easier than Murphy because they are less likely to ask what happens if they don't do what's asked :wink:

Ours were all quiet and very friendly. They have great stamina but don't absolutely have to have as much excercise as a standard poodle. Their look is odd at first, but it grows on you and it is very distinctive. And the coat is the softest I've ever felt and stays that way their entire life.

Newpoodlemum, thanks for posting those pictures. That puppy stage that you see in the second picture is when they're at their most irresistable in terms of looks in the eyes of our family. They're a bit scruffy with that cute mohawk!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Congrats!!!
I remember when I first came to North America,how surprised I was not to see any bedlingtons.
It was a hugely popular breed in Europe,at least back then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts