Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess who earned her CGC title yesterday? We started the course in late January, and I had no expectation that we would be ready to pass the test now. She turns one year old next weekend, and I thought it was a good way to get started at least, so we'd know what we needed to work on. The course was really good. It went beyond the required behaviors and challenged the dogs even more. They also gave us excellent written instructions, tips, and games we could use to practice each task at home. That helped a lot.
Next on my agenda is looking into therapy dog training. I still need to work with Cleo on ignoring other dogs--when there's a new dog it's hard to persuade her not to greet it. She sees everyone as a potential playmate until proved otherwise. At least it's friendliness and not aggression.

Anyway--here she is with her first ribbon! I'm so proud of her!

IMG_3592.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yay!!! Congratulations! Super exciting to have someone recognize the hard work you two have put in.

The hardest part for me after we got ours was remembering we’ll probably still screw up sometimes. The fact that you have been through this training together means you’ll know how to limit and avoid things to make your pup successful! You should get a ribbon too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Huge congratulation. Great teamwork.

This is a very special achievement and one that I wish all dog owners would achieve.

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Premium Member
23,200 Posts
Congratulations team Cleo! Keep at your training and I am sure you will become a wonderful therapy dog team.

Reactions: MustLoveDogs

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! I talked with a rep from the therapy dog organization--who also happens to have been one of the teachers for our CGC class. We're going to work on appropriate greetings (eg, not everyone wants the dog to run between their legs!) and neutral dog encounters, and if all goes well, we should be able to start the training course this summer!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts