Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Administrator
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the past few months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Bookmarks
Now you can bookmark your favorite discussions! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform, Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience, your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (yes, the insect) so I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas and spend most of my off time out in nature. I spend my vacation, in the fall, hiking and camping.

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years now. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Administrator
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

(I took this photo camp here in Texas.)

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
487 Posts
I like the new platform though have had one advertisement on the side that was advertising skimpy Lingerie (savage something). Not from that I visit and I’m the only one using my iPad. Really could just ignore but sometimes I have kids around ....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hi

Any thoughts on why there are these giant overlays on my Surface RT screen? It's not my primary device but this makes it hard to read posts.
View attachment 462997 View attachment 462997
Screenshot (306).png

and on my Windows 8.1 Pro laptop

but not on my Windows 10 Surface Pro 6.

Thank you for dark mode! and to be able to drop in photos!

·
Premium Member
22,404 Posts
I am not happy that in updating my signature to reflect new titles Lily earned over the weekend I had to delete my links to my ongoing training blog threads. I got a message saying my signature could only have one link so I deleeted one, but it would not save the changes with the remaining one either. I know this will all take getting used to but this makes me sad.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
It will get time to get used to. At first glance I find that the avatars are too small and it seems we lost the pictures in our signatures. They were fun to look at. It’s also hard to find the date a post was made. Can you make the date more visible, maybe use a different, darker color ?

I know such a transition takes a lot of work so I don’t want to criticize too much. It seems to be working well so thank you for all your hard work !

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It will get time to get used to. At first glance I find that the avatars are too small and it seems we lost the pictures in our signatures. They were fun to look at. It’s also hard to find the date a post was made. Can you make the date more visible, maybe use a different, darker color ?

I know such a transition takes a lot of work so I don’t want to criticize too much. It seems to be working well so thank you for all your hard work !
My avatar pic is not fitting here but I'm going to see if I can play with that. Sig pics were apparently not towed along in the transition but if you select your account icon at top then select account settings, you'll get to a sidebar with options. One can be added again there. HTH.
Oh, and you also have to hit See Full Signature, so maybe that's what you meant. We likely wouldn't be adding them if we didn't want them seen :(.

Still poking around. There's a TON of things to review in Preferences and other settings-it's as bad as FB lol. I'm now looking for a way to deselect them all and reselect only the things I need to be notified of. This is going to take some time. Seeing signatures automatically is just one of the myriad of things to review.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!
View attachment 462981
(I took this photo camp here in Texas.)

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

I will be here to answer questions and to help you navigate, as needed. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How do we know when someone posted something? Where are all of the wonderful photos of peoples poodles?
How do we know which thread we are posting in?
How do I find the topics I want to find posts in?

·
Super Moderator
2,597 Posts
What I Don't Like:

1, The time and date of threads and comments were important and gave context to the flow of member ideas and responses, for example, telling us a thread was "2 months ago" instead of providing an exact date and time.

2. We no longer have the option of using color in our fonts.

3. Wasted space taking up nearly1/3 of the page. This is on the right side margin where all the information except 'About This Discussion' is redundant and can be found on the top horizontal part of the page.. That should be reduced to 1/5 of the page on the right margin.

In the right margin, there's a box that says Poodle Forum/ Explore Our Forum. Well we already know we're at Poodle Forum and this is overuse, and we can already see the same info to Explore it at the top bar of the page. It's too much.

The next box on the right side is 'Popular Communities'. This gives a needless plug for other VeriScope forums. It should go back to the very bottom of the page, along with your BBB and GDPR Compliant stickers. All of this also makes the page look too visually "busy".

4. When I get to the bottom of a page of comments, I have to scroll all the way back to the top. Formerly I could click back to the top of the page.

5. If there are 50 or 60 comments on a thread, we used to be able to find a specific one easily by remembering it was on page 2, or 4, etc. since there were only 10 comments per page. Now we have to pour through all of them to locate it. And as said earlier, there's no exact date & time to give members an idea of how the conversation flowed on that thread or how these may tie into other threads.

6. The photos in threads look smaller, possibly b/c the redundant info in the right side margin hogs up too much of the page.

7. Signature: I also don't care for the extra step of having to see the signature and signature photos of members and the restriction to only one link, and not being able to use a different color font in one's signature. People are not likely to click on that icon to see it.

What I do like:

1. The new logo photo of various poodles running along the top page. That's really nice.

2. Drag and drop your photos into a comment. I haven't tried it yet but that's promising.

Otherwise I already miss the old format; I thought Vertical Scope was only going to jazz it up, but since it's a work in progress, we'll take a wait 'n see approach.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I can't edit my signature either. Just like Catherine, I can't have more than one link. I miss seeing everyone's signatures automatically. I got to know so many of you through your signature photos. At a glance I knew who everyone is. My signature is the wrong color for dark mode so it just disappears. I'm sad. I'll get used to it. But I'm sad.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hadn't even noticed that font color, type and size choices were gone. And, where's Undo/Redo, please?

For the sig photos, looks like we have to add them again. Then look for these in Account Settings>Preferences

Show people's signatures with their messages
Signatures will be collapsed by default
Always show expanded signatures

It's a pain, changing formats. PF giveth, PF taketh away (are any of the emojis a wry smile?)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Wow, big changes. People have made some good suggestions on improvements as well as appropriate attaboys. I just have one thing to add right now: I wish there was an option for seeing everyone who has thanked/thumbs-up a post. I want to see all of the people all of the time. I don't want to have to click to see the full list of names.

Thank you from an obsessive thanker.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow, big difference!

What I like.
Much faster speeds.
Being able to control enter to enter a post.
Easier to read format.
Better color contrast.
User control page thingy.

What needs some improvement.
I need to be able to see peoples signatures.
Please move to BBB thing and BDPR to the bottom of the page.

Other than that I really like the new site.
Thank X100 for your awesome work!

·
Registered
538 Posts
A few quick things I forgot to mention.
  • I cannot find the button to edit posts.
  • Get rid of the popular forum’s things, that advertise other forums. It makes PF look busy.
  • A button that allows you to see the threads you just posted in.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Hadn't even noticed that font color, type and size choices were gone. And, where's Undo/Redo, please?

For the sig photos, looks like we have to add them again. Then look for these in Account Settings>Preferences

Show people's signatures with their messages
Signatures will be collapsed by default
Always show expanded signatures

It's a pain, changing formats. PF giveth, PF taketh away (are any of the emojis a wry smile?)
Cricket, to make it easier for everyone, maybe you should default showing the full signature on every profile. This is how we recognize each other.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts