Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this to help my poor back and neck during poodle showers. Anyone tried it yet?

I figure it's gotta be better than the red plastic cup I've been using!

Fun Fact: In addition to having some lifelong chronic health conditions, I was hit by a bus in my 30s! So if this works for me, I bet it will work for you, too. ;) I'll be sure to share a review once we've got it installed.

Registered
Ooh that looks nice. Looking forwards to hearing about it! I like how they used a Chessie in the picture--those dogs are really hard to get throughly wet, lol.

Registered
I'm sure that will definitely help. I use a portable shower head that is rechargeable and has a motor. So I just stick the motor in a bowl of water under the shower faucet and it works great to shower Misha. But functionally it should work the same as what you are getting.

Registered
Looks good. I look forward to hearing your review.

I use a handheld shower. What I want to help my back is this:
96F63D14-3B79-45A3-AD99-F9A69A32B6E6.jpeg

But this may present it鈥檚 own problems for a spoo owner. You have to get them in and out, after all.

Registered
I have a bad back and bending over is very hard. Luckily Charlie is an absolute lamb about washing. I stand in our shower stall with him and use a hand held shower wand. Wish I had a raised tub, but it would have to be the size of a regular human tub to accommodate a lanky, 85 pound Spoo!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Registered
I got excited because I thought it sprayed shampoo mixed into the water which would make it easier to wet and wash your dog.

I looked it up and realized it鈥檚 just another style of hand held shower wand. I just use the regular shower wand I have in the shower for people. I did add an extra long hose to it so I can get under my dog to rinse the stomach and chest well.

I have a bad back so I sit on a stool next to the bathtub to wash my minipoo. I wish I had a professional dog washing tub in my home.

Premium Member
I thought I was the only one using a plastic food tub to scoop water! Much more feasible for a toy than a spoo, of course.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

Registered
I've also looked at the same one and contemplated ordering it. I use a hand held waterpik, only its in my small shower, not good for my standard. However its an old model without the current restrictors. I also have one in my larger shower however I do not like it. Several years ago the companies placed water flow restrictors on them to save water ...I end up using 2x the amount as it takes longer to get the shampoo out as they just don't seem to have the force of the older models. Consequently I haven't ordered yet.

Registered
I hear you! I always need to take a few minutes after washing Loki to lie down and stretch out my lower back.

Loki shares our bathtub which has a non-extendable showerhead so we use a rinseroo, which slips over the entire showerhead and the water gets redirected through the hose. It's a good alternative to the scoop-and-pour method for now, but kind of fussy, so I'm curious to hear how you like the Waterpik!

Registered
The size of the sprayer you got looks perfect to make the rinse job even quicker than a standard hand held shower head. I have a small pet specific hand held shower I paid about 15-20 for and it makes rinsing easy, I can put the pressure on full blast and it gets to the skin. So much more fast and effective than a cup. I do still use a sponge flooded with water to rinse the muzzle and above/between the eyes.
I wash in the laundry sink, and if I had room for a stool to sit while I washed, it would be perfect. But the space is too tight when I tried it, so I have to stand and do some bending to get the lower legs and feet.

In fact putting a freestanding laundry sink in a bathtub could be a good alternative to the flying pig pet tub.
I have this model of laundry sink and would work for toy or mini poodles. I just measured the bottom dimensions of the legs, they鈥檙e 18.5x17鈥 which should be able to fit in a standard tub. The legs simply sit it a groove so I think they could be detached for storing the tub away. Lightweight at 12lb. $30 at Lowe鈥檚 or Home Depot.

This option would work for standard poodles. The inner dimensions are slightly bigger than the flying pig tub but it鈥檚 deeper so more secure for bigger dogs. Also has detachable legs and could sit in a standard bathtub. Weighs 25 lb, which I assume is heavier than the flying pig tub. $74.

of course lies the problem of storage, which would also be tricky with the flying pig bathtub. But wanted to throw the idea out there.

Registered
I hear you! I always need to take a few minutes after washing Loki to lie down and stretch out my lower back.

Loki shares our bathtub which has a non-extendable showerhead so we use a rinseroo, which slips over the entire showerhead and the water gets redirected through the hose. It's a good alternative to the scoop-and-pour method for now, but kind of fussy, so I'm curious to hear how you like the Waterpik!
DNi, it鈥檚 easy to unscrew a shower head and replace it with one that has a hand held wand. This is similar to what I have except I added an extra long hose on mine both to wash my dog and makes rinsing the tub easier.

Registered

Registered
I ordered this to help my poor back and neck during poodle showers. Anyone tried it yet?

View attachment 472184

I figure it's gotta be better than the red plastic cup I've been using!

Fun Fact: In addition to having some lifelong chronic health conditions, I was hit by a bus in my 30s! So if this works for me, I bet it will work for you, too. ;) I'll be sure to share a review once we've got it installed.
I bought one a few months ago and it has worked out very well. Started out with it in the walk-in shower but now hubby has my Booster bath set up for me in the cellar so I use it there. Works!!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Verdict: I love it!

I just gave Peggy her first bath with the Waterpik and it was a breeze. Yes, the wand would be even better if it had a shampoo dispenser. Actually, that would be amazing! But even without that functionality, it streamlined the process considerably.

It was also just plain fun to use. :)

The curved shape nicely hugged her contours, gently depositing water right to the root whether I was spraying up, down, or sideways. Usually I have to work a bit to penetrate Peggy鈥檚 coat, which is torture for my neck. But today it took me under a minute to soak her from head to toe.

She even chomped a few treats that I 鈥渉id鈥 around the edge of the tub for her to discover, telling me that having this strange new contraption in the bathtub wasn鈥檛 particularly stressful.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts