1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
23,149 Posts
Aside from that I don't like pig ears since I find them too greasy, but thanks for the update.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave a pig's ear to my Chihuahua, Chulita (5-6lbs) and she had bloody diarrhea for 24 hours. Very scary! I think a little shard or something scratched up her tiny intestines.

Dogs are usually pretty well equipped to handle a little salmonella. I think sometimes some can get a problem though...and we can. So maybe that's why it's being alerted to. I subscribe to that recall list.

Most of those kinds of things are awfully greasy and if they're soaked in some kind of brine, I don't think that's very healthy anyhow. I don't feed most of that kind of stuff because often they get diarrhea...probably all the grease. The only thing that seems to work okay is an occasional bully stick.

·
Premium Member
23,149 Posts
I give buffalo ears since they aren't at all greasy and therefore I don't actually mind if someone takes one on the furniture. I don't leave dogs alone with them. I also worry that too many pig ears could contribute to pancreatitis. As to the Salmonella part of it I do think most dogs are pretty resistant to it themselves, but it is a significant human pathogen, especially for very young children, the elderly and those with chronic illnesses and immune suppression.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, MG...nothing from China. Too bad a track record for stuff like this.

Reactions: Countryboy

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A young man at our local farmers market makes a variety of dog treats, from trachea to monster bones. Tonka will jump thru hoops for his dried chicken wings.

And I gotta admit that I'm a little paranoid about buying elsewhere.
That's nice to have a local product like that. Be careful with tracheas or anything close to and including a neck of any animal. There can be thyroid hormone around that area of the throat or neck and they can develop hyperthyroidism...very dangerous, even deadly! Perhaps they clean the tracheas well before making them into treats. I do not know.

Reactions: Countryboy

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thinking MF...just to be on the safe side. When I was on a prey model diet forum, those people suggested from their research that high fat probably doesn't cause pancreatitis but that it can sure aggravate it if they have the disease alreay. And being over weight may well be a cause. But since some of this is not absolutely known, it's probably wise to err on the side of caution.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts