Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give your dog benedryl or something for a wasp bite?

Moose isn't to sure about the sensation :/

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Can you give your dog benedryl or something for a wasp bite?

Moose isn't to sure about the sensation :/
Todd I have given my dogs benedryl and my cats a few times. One of my old vets recommended it to use when we has a maltese poodle mix years ago. She had bad food allgeries / fleas.

I am not sure if you can find the right dosage online for benedryl for dogs.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moose is freaking out!

He keeps going in circles swatting his face and chasing the imaginary thing that's biting him over and over :/ It's actually sad and funny to watch :(

Then he hides under my desk for a few minutes and starts again hehe. All the time he's "smiling" about it like he's playing a game.

I killed 3 wasps already IN the house, no idea where they are coming from :( I took down 3 nests recently outside too..

HMM

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1mg/1lb the vet said.

She said once a day but wanted to ask why.. so it sounds like you can administer it more but they wouldn't tell me..

·
Registered
875 Posts
do you know where the sting actually is? if so mix up a paste of baking soda and water and kind of cake it on the sting, it will help alleviate the pain/itch and draw out the stinger if its still in there.

benedryl may make him a little sleepy, but follow your vet's advice

good luck Moose!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's resting.. not scared anymore and I think it made the itch go away he's not worried it seems about it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
So glad to hear that Moose is doing better. I've been bit by wasps myself, and it hurts so bad. I've heard that wasps actually bite, not sting, but I usually call it getting stung, not biten. Whatever it is that those rascals do, HURTS a lot. Yes we too have given our dogs benedryl for bites, stings, allergies and etc. Those strips that melt in the mouth work great and get into the system fast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hope Moose is feeling better now.

I have used benadryl for my dogs several times over the years. I keep the childrens liquid on hand just for them. Of course when our goat stepped on a nest and got stung several times on her utter and I called the vet they said come pick up a steroid injection (at least I think that was what it was). My husband drove the 40 minutes+ to the vets (one way) while he was there he asked if we could use something like benadryl if this happened in the future, they said "sure that would work too" :angry: Good thing she didn't have a really bad reaction, she could have been dead by the time he got back with the shot.

My dog's vet never told me the dose in mg/lb, just told me to use a childrens dose. Mg/lb makes a lot more sense, I'll have to make a note of that so I remember next time I need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts