Poodle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this group, had any experience with them, or know if they’re still in existence? I used to check in on their website every once in a while to see if there were any Poodle related events in my area, but now their URL comes up as available for purchase. This goes for the links from PF and PCA as well. I was hoping to find an active Poodle group somewhere in the DMV.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I saw they have a Facebook account and noticed a post In October. Maybe they are sill around? I never joined FB, so can't say more aside from it makes me a bit sad to see organizations give up their own websites and move to FB only.

I did find the Puget Sound Club, and they direct people to FB to view events ☹, but at least they still have a website. https://pugetsoundpoodleclub.org/

ETA:
PCA also has Panorama:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I searched FB but only came up with Washington State Poodle groups. I failed to find the Wash DC club. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
HTH

Possibly someone here might know what's happened?
Greenspring Poodle Club – Maryland-based Poodle club founded in 1953 to preserve the integrity of Poodle varieties through educational and AKC trial events.

In case you hadn't run across this info...

American Kennel Club - Washington Poodle Club, Inc. - GAITHERSBURG - MD - 103 (akc.org)
The website in the above link is also pfffft.

Club Contacts per above link

President
Jim Wasilak24025 OLD HUNDRED RD
DICKERSON, MD 20842
[email protected]
Secretary Recording
Susan Palmer1639 MONUMENT RD
MIDDLETOWN, MD 21769
[email protected]
Secretary Corresponding
Kathy Hinkley14916 HYDRUS RD
SILVER SPRING, MD 20906
[email protected]
Treasurer
Sandra Marshall14400 MARINE DR
SILVER SPRING, MD 20905
[email protected]
Breeder Referral Contact
Laura Thistle3101 NEW CHURCH CT
ANNAPOLIS, MD 21403
[email protected]
Breed Rescue Contact
Lynn Estaver6309 PILGRIMS REST RD E
WARRENTON, VA 20187
[email protected]
Legislative Liaison
Nina Selvaggi6727 HAYCOCK RD
FALLS CHURCH, VA 22043
[email protected]

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HTH

Possibly someone here might know what's happened?
Greenspring Poodle Club – Maryland-based Poodle club founded in 1953 to preserve the integrity of Poodle varieties through educational and AKC trial events.

In case you hadn't run across this info...

American Kennel Club - Washington Poodle Club, Inc. - GAITHERSBURG - MD - 103 (akc.org)
The website in the above link is also pfffft.

Club Contacts per above link

President
Jim Wasilak24025 OLD HUNDRED RD
DICKERSON, MD 20842
[email protected]
Secretary Recording
Susan Palmer1639 MONUMENT RD
MIDDLETOWN, MD 21769
[email protected]
Secretary Corresponding
Kathy Hinkley14916 HYDRUS RD
SILVER SPRING, MD 20906
[email protected]
Treasurer
Sandra Marshall14400 MARINE DR
SILVER SPRING, MD 20905
[email protected]
Breeder Referral Contact
Laura Thistle3101 NEW CHURCH CT
ANNAPOLIS, MD 21403
[email protected]
Breed Rescue Contact
Lynn Estaver6309 PILGRIMS REST RD E
WARRENTON, VA 20187
[email protected]
Legislative Liaison
Nina Selvaggi6727 HAYCOCK RD
FALLS CHURCH, VA 22043
[email protected]
Thank you

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I recall, I think I emailed them to get info last year and never heard anything back. If it’s inactive, we should start it back up again! I’ve seen a few of us on here in the DC-area. Would love to at least have a poodle meet up every now and then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found "Washington Poodle Club, Inc." on Facebook. It's the DC region-based club, but there have been few posts over the past few years. The most recent one does mention a club event this past October at the Howard County Fair, so it's not completely dead. (The website, however, does appear to be dead.) It'd be nice to reinvigorate the club!

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Unfortunately, these clubs are far more than a social and event club for poodle lovers. It's a very structured group.
Membership/s have prerequisites:
There are three types of Membership
Individual
The purpose of the Individual Membership is to recognize individuals who demonstrated long term that they have acquired significant knowledge of the breed standard, have successfully breed and exhibited and have conducted themselves with good sportsmanship exhibiting good character in matters important to the Club and the Breed.

Associate
The purpose of the Associate Membership is to recognize individuals who have demonstrated a long term commitment to the Poodle beyond the role of conformation exhibiter and breeder. Examples include participation in performance/companion activities, extensive rescue work and other activities deemed worthy by the Board of Governors.

Affiliate Clubs
Across the country there are area, or local, Poodle Clubs, many of which are Affiliate Clubs of PCA. Area Poodle Clubs must first qualify with the American Kennel Club to hold point shows before applying for PCA Affiliate Club status. Each Affiliate Club is entitled to be represented by a delegate at PCA membership meetings. The Affiliate Club Council, chaired by the Second Vice President of PCA, meets once a year. Its emphasis is placed on education and helping clubs maintain their status in an ever changing dog world. . Many of the local clubs hold handling classes, matches and one or two specialty shows a year. In addition, many provide educational meetings, symposiums, lectures, news bulletins, breeder’s aids and social activities. Most of the members of PCA are, or have been, members of Affiliate Poodle Clubs.

More at
Membership - The Poodle Club of America

That said, you do have several members close enough to have periodic meetups. I hope you all do!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, these clubs are far more than a social and event club for poodle lovers. It's a very structured group.
Membership/s have prerequisites:
Thanks for the info RnP. I'm well aware these are serious clubs. When it was up, the WPC website listed a number of very stringent membership requirements - not just for the dog, but the owner as well. That said, they did host and promote a number of poodle related events in the Mid-Atlantic and I was hoping to connect. I'd be interested in meeting up with other local PF member and their poodles - even if it was just for an organized play date.

I've often thought PF should have an event or region section where members could announce poodle related/dog show events in their areas.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
@Happy'sDad, I came across this. Haven't read much yet, so no idea how interesting it is:

Infodog.com is what I use to find shows.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Happy'sDad, I came across this. Haven't read much yet, so no idea how interesting it is:

Infodog.com is what I use to find shows.
I use bring food often to find dog friendly events, very useful. I'll check out info dog. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I should have said more about infodog, since it's so completely different from the first suggestion. Infodog is show superintendent MB-F, so the site is intended for serious dog fanciers and pros more than the public, but it is user friendly and plenty from the general public use it, too. You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

ETA I'm just general public myself, and can't get to shows well any longer, but love seeing what's up and reading placements once posted (where MB-F is superintendent; head to other superintendents' sites for results at their shows).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts