Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should I shampoo my minipoo? I've been doing it weekly but just read somewhere that it can increase oil production and isn't great for their coat. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Weekly is fine as long as you use high quality products that agree with your dog's skin.
Show dogs are bathed weekly for years and obviously they want the best coats possible.
My dog is bathed weekly and has been his whole life (as he was a show dog, and I have continued it after shaving him down to keep him looking nice as I grow him out to put him in fun trims)

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
I bath Poppy before clipping (every 6-8 weeks), before going to stay with people, and if she gets smelly. It probably averages out at once every 5 weeks. We live in a very rural area so there is not much grime from traffic, and she doesn't get muddy, and if she does it brushes out once dry.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I like to wash every two weeks and at the same time I trim her face, feet and sanitary areas. Once a month I do a full body groom.

With this routine people always think she was just freshly groomed. I get tons of comments such as “did you just come from the groomers?”. I find it’s easier to groom when the hair isn’t too long.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I wash Noelle every 10 days or so. That's because I love the just washed fluffy poodle she turns into after a bath, not because she needs it.
I agree, there is nothing like a fully washed, fluffy poodle after a bath and blow dry.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Same as Sylar, every 6-8 weeks or if they smell (sometimes they rollinto disgusting stuff).

Beckie has a very pleasant natural body odor. Merlin, not so much. It’s often when I get tired of his smell that I wash both dogs.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I bathe Poppy weekly, or more often if she gets really dirty or rolls in something nasty, which is often! The dirtier the better, according to Poppy!

I use Nature's Specialties shampoos on her as they are kind to her coat and skin. Have used them for 26 yrs now as has our groomer.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I'm with the 7-10 day schedule and not because Molly is dirty (and poodles don't have a doggy odor), but because I like that fresh fluffy look too!!!LOL!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Rory goes to the groomer every five weeks and I will sometimes wash him in between, but not always. I try to shave his face between grooms but don’t always get around to it. He is kept short year round though, so he is low maintenance.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I bathe the poodles usually every 2-3 weeks. I clip them short like Rory about once a month because I'm a grad student and don't have any time or desire to groom.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am always getting comments that he does not smell like a dog. And if it is raining that he does not smell like a wet dog.

I only bathe him every 5-6 weeks when he gets groomed, unless he has gotten into something or jumped in a mud puddle or something!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts