Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sisko was doing great at being by himself. He would lay out in the living room by himself, but now he thinks that he has to stay as close as possible with me and I don't know why. Even when I go into another room and close the door he is either laying right outside pressing on the door or banging on the door.

I'm not sure what is wrong or what to do about it. I can't even tell him to stay in one spot like before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
He's about 7 months old? Go easy on him and yourself. These behaviors take time to shape and progress isn't linear. One day he'll get it, the next day he'll forget everything he's ever learned. That's puppyhood, and it's hard. Just be consistent in your training. You'll have to reset expectations constantly depending on how he's doing that day, but be consistent with your goals and training. It will be like this for the first few years, but he'll get there.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Siski is 2 years old if I remember correct. He loves you and wants to be near you all the time. Mine is no different If I need time I put him in his designated area. (I have my front foyer and dining room gated off as his). I have a similar probAfter she put him to bed I waited a bit took him out myself, he finished and then I put him to bed and he settled right to his bed. Renn is too bonded and really not sure what to do about that or if I even should.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bobby is a shadow. He follows us from room to room, outside, inside he’s there! While it can annoying sometimes I actually mostly don’t mind. Maybe I should be training that out of him but honestly, I’m fine with it. If I really need him to not be next to us or we have to work on something I just put him in his room and he’s super good about that so for me it’s not a problem. He absolutely does not like to be outside by himself except to do his duties. I do wish he would able to be outside more but it’s not the end of the world in my book. If I didn’t shut the door I think he’d actually sit on the toilet with me and he would love nothing more than to get in the shower with me or my husband. We just shut the door and then he plops on the floor right by the door. We can always tell as he plops quite loudly. I was very concerned about this in his early months and was very worried he was going to develop anxiety but I decided that as long as he was able to be alone without anxiety it was ok. While he always wants to be with us he seems quite content when he is alone and he has no problem being left with others.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I’m wondering why you want him away from you when you’re in the house ?

Dogs like to be close to their person, especially poodles. Some won’t tend to be so close, but it’s a matter of temperament, not training. Unless you’re talking about wanting him to stay for specific reasons, like drying on a carpet, or because you have company. This I would want my dog to be able to do.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
I consider that perfectly normal dog behavior. I don't understand why you don't want him to be near you. It is an indication of his bond to you. I almost always have at least one dog close enough that they are touching me.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am typing this with a poodle plastered with her head on my knee. Occasionally she doesn't follow me upstairs an I feel lost! Usually the only poodle free time I get without her either in the same room or watching is if she gets up before me and is fed breakfast by mom, or if I am in the bathroom where she worries about a bath. I wouldn't dare close her out of my bedroom, she politely knocks on the door to remind me she requires in.

Based on what you have said before, it sounds like you are siskos favourite and safest person. Natural for him to want to follow you, as for leaving him in a spot perhaps going back to basics and increasing the reward frequency for remaining in his spot?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that’s pretty normal - I’ve currently got a poodle head resting on my stomach and the rest of her is right against me. She prefers to sleep/sit next to me but will go find other people in the house if I’m not home. If she’s not next to me, she’s in the same room with the one exception being the scary laundry room where she will wait right outside. She is fine being left alone in the house and will find a place to sleep/play with her toys so I’m not too worried.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I think its pretty normal for bird dogs and shepherds, in particular, to want to be close to their people. They are bred to work in partnership with their handlers and check in constantly.

I imagine that being separated is a very strange feeling for them. Imagine if somebody gave you a bag of tools and dropped you off at a construction site with no information about what you were supposed to be doing. You would feel really awkward and perhaps even a little unsafe, no? You'd be torn between wanting to talk to the other workers and not wanting to bother them. I think dogs feel the same way when we aren't giving them the direction they need.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This thread is actually quite encouraging. Sometimes, especially if you read about dog anxiety, things can get muddled between true separation anxiety and the normal need some dogs have to just be close. I love for Bobby to be close unless I seriously need to do something without dog which isn’t so often because he’s so much better and about not jumping and trying to get into everything. We always include him if we can though. He comforts both of us in so many ways. While not supper cuddly, he is very affectionate and bonded. Likes to touch us, lay by us or by our feet and just always be by us and of course follow as I described earlier. I wasn’t sure when he was little and am so glad he doesn’t suffer from separation anxiety but he definitely has the need to be close which sounds, from what’s being posted here, very normal for poodles. I love it!
And actually, if he’s not next to us we go and check on him because sometimes it means he’s into something. 😉 Like just a few minutes ago. I made a nice mango smoothie and set it on the end table. I went quickly went downstairs to get some laundry and noticed he wasn’t peering peering downstairs and waiting like he usually does. Well, of course, silly me...I left the smoothie out! I walked into the living room and he’s enjoying the smoothie! He was quite polite and did not make a mess and even left me some! 😂
Thankfully I had more. All I could do was get the glass and smile. You almost always know where your shadow poodle is and that can be quite a good thing. 😉

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sisko was doing great at being by himself. He would lay out in the living room by himself, but now he thinks that he has to stay as close as possible with me and I don't know why. Even when I go into another room and close the door he is either laying right outside pressing on the door or banging on the door.

I'm not sure what is wrong or what to do about it. I can't even tell him to stay in one spot like before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
Are you concerned about separation anxiety?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was worried about separation anxiety, but I think he just really likes to be close to me now, but he does it mildly destressed when he is not around me sometimes. The worst thing that he will do if someone else is with him is misbehave and not listen to them. I would really like for him to just be comfortable being by himself for a little bit. I guess Sisko just wanted to be closer these few past days?

I've been letting Sisko come in different rooms with me sometimes, but also do some stay training with him, but also showing him what I expect from him in these different rooms, like no sniffing around in the kitchen. He layed down by himself for a little bit, and the kitchen is starting to get boring.

@Spottytoes🤣 It sounds like Bobby really enjoyed the smoothie you left out for him! It's the same way with Sisko. If he's not close by or in the same room as me, I assume he is doing something he shouldn't, but it's getting more and more common that I just find him laying down.

P.S Sisko closes the bathroom door on himself sometimes, and he does it sometimes when I walk in there too😱 It would be cool if we had those handle doorknobs and I could teach him to open it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts