Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else struggle with this? Within about thirty minutes of putting Peggy to bed, I’m itching to wake her up again.

Of course I don’t. She loves her sleep and will slumber every night for up to 12 hours if we let her. But I’m not embarrassed to admit I miss her the whole time. I guess that’s just poodle love. ¯\(ツ)

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
I wake Poppy up for a final trip outside, then take her up to bed with me. That way she is never out of reach!

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wake Poppy up for a final trip outside, then take her up to bed with me. That way she is never out of reach!
Lucky, @fjm! We’ve toyed with the idea of having Peggy sleep on the bed or at least beside it. Gracie was sharing the bed with me well before this age. But every once in a while, if I’m up really late, I’ll let Peggy out of the crate for a second pee, after which, without fail, she races back to her crate as soon as her leash and collar are off. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure she’s actually in there, because she immediately goes silent.

She does enjoy napping on the bed and couch, but I think she likes having her own space at night. And she thrives on the routine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ruger get's up usually around 5:30 - 6:00 AM. I take him outside for pee and pup and then we both go to my recliner, he climes to my laps and we snooze another hour or two. He would sleep like this much longer, I just have to work and take him down. One Sunday I tested for how long he can sleep like this and gave up at 10:30 AM - needed my coffee 🥰

·
Registered
140 Posts
Lucky, @fjm! We’ve toyed with the idea of having Peggy sleep on the bed or at least beside it. Gracie was sharing the bed with me well before this age. But every once in a while, if I’m up really late, I’ll let Peggy out of the crate for a second pee, after which, without fail, she races back to her crate as soon as her leash and collar are off. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure she’s actually in there, because she immediately goes silent.

She does enjoy napping on the bed and couch, but I think she likes having her own space at night. And she thrives on the routine.
Confession: Happy sleeps with us almost always. It was my choice not hers. The funny thing is my wife was always a no dog in the bed type, but has yet to say a thing about Happy in the bed.

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
It's not just Poppy - Sophy also sleeps on my bed, and one or both cats come and go. Sophy tends to start at the foot of the bed and gradually move up towards my shoulder; she likes a well flumped duvet to sleep on, and will softly mither if it is not exactly right. Poppy often comes for a snuggle when we first go to bed then gradually moves towards the foot. Pippin-cat has arthritis in his hips, so hauls himself up with his front legs - he is a kneader, and Sophy warns him off if he gets too close to where she is sleeping. Tilly makes less fuss and slots in wherever there is a space. I am trying to avoid sleeping on my right hip while it is inflamed from bursitis, and to use a pillow between my knees when sleeping on my left. Poppy and I usually need to get up for a bathroom break in the early hours, which necessitates a general reorganisation, and Tilly demanding the bathroom tap be turned on so she can have a drink. What with one thing and another nights can get a bit busy, and waking anyone up for anything other than a necessary pee tends to be the last thing on my mind!

·
Registered
632 Posts
both cats and sometimes a dog sleep on my bed

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
Most nights Asta will sleep with us - I usually am reading up late at night. Asta will go to sleep -too cute to wake up- Lately tho he will sleep with us in my husband's room and will at some point in the night he transfers to my room where he can have my bed to himself - then he can really stretch out. Amazes me how he can take over the bed. Love to watch him sleeping, would never wake him up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts